Reminder... Tenn at Rutgers tonight | The Boneyard

Reminder... Tenn at Rutgers tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Oh, yeah. thanks for the reminder. Setting the DVR - should be interesting, my two favorites.....
:p

(I am sincere about the thanks. I wanted to watch that game)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This is a big opportunity for Rutgers. They let the Miami game get away from them, but they have an opportunity to make a statement with a win tonight. After making the finals in 2007 and the E8 in 2008, Rutgers has floundered a bit. The talent is there- can they prove they're back to being a top 10 program?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
RU appears be improved. How much? This will give us a better idea.

Is everyone other than Massengale healthy?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Not my two favorites but we play Rutgers later so a Knights win will make our win over them more worthwhile and a [horrors!] loss would be less costly.

Rutgers and Tenn. have played a ton in the C. Viv era...regular season and in the NCAA's. I am pretty sure Rutgers has won just once. I would think LadyVol is favored despite the location....should be interesting. I hope the RAC sells out.

Any Rutgers fans lurking about here.....got wisdom on this one?

pasteurize

RU Rah Rah!
Reaction Score
Nice to see UConn fans on our side... even if it's partially due to the opposition. :)

I highly doubt the RAC will sell out tonight... it would be amazing if it did, but I just don't see it. Our attendance hasn't been great lately, and it's not a weekend game. But it should be, by far, the highest attendance of the season to date.

I'm hoping that we press for 40 minutes, or until Tennessee consistently breaks it for easy layups. We need to take advantage of our speed and hope that their size doesn't bother us too much. The last time we hosted Tenn, we had a 20 point lead at the half and threw it away. Time for revenge.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Especially with Massengale out, this game is even more about the RU guards and the press vs the UT posts and the rebounding. RU has only one legitimate post in Oliver. UT has only one legitimate guard in Simmons (though I'll give you Strickland as a guard). A lot of talent on the floor for both teams. Agree that I hope RU presses the whole game. Both teams need to limit TOs. Oliver needs to stay out of foul trouble. If either team is hot from the 3, that could be the game. As an RU fan, I'm most worried about Spani.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Especially with Massengale out, this game is even more about the RU guards and the press vs the UT posts and the rebounding. RU has only one legitimate post in Oliver. UT has only one legitimate guard in Simmons (though I'll give you Strickland as a guard). A lot of talent on the floor for both teams. Agree that I hope RU presses the whole game. Both teams need to limit TOs. Oliver needs to stay out of foul trouble. If either team is hot from the 3, that could be the game. As an RU fan, I'm most worried about Spani.
I don't think Spani is close to 100%, so maybe worry a little less about her. But yeah, she's a great shooter when healthy.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Has CViv indicated whether or not she has the personnel this year to run the "55" ? I sure hope so for this game!!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I rooting for RU too. Rebound RU and press. I expect alot of TN turnovers

Reaction Score
Ru is like Texas, they play good enough to lose these games. Tenn is too quick and too many rebounders......Good luck RU~!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ru is like Texas, they play good enough to lose these games. Tenn is too quick and too many rebounders......Good luck RU~!!!
You're aware that RU is knocking on the door of the Top 10 rankings this season, right? Texas is holding onto its No. 24 ranking with its fingernails while No. 11 RU is 9-1 with three players averaging double digit scoring and a fourth averaging 9.1 ppg. And while the Scarlet Knights might get outrebounded, I'd bet some good change they won't be outquicked.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
good luck to RU. on the surface this seems to be a game they should have a good shot at winning. their press could cause all kinds of problems for tennessee's guards not named massengale. good time for RU to make a statement too. but we will see.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Anyone for scores?

RU 68 Tn 63
this is a tough one, Rutgers NEED this win but I havent seen them play this season sooo I dont know what they bring to the table.

71 - 63 Tn... it could easily go the other way

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Lower. First team to 50 wins. :)

I'm looking for about 53-48.
In almost all their games this year, they have abandoned the old CVS slow the game down strategy and the scoring has been higher. But for this one they may go back to it, to reduce the advantage of LV height. We will see.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I can't remember the last RU-TN game that wasn't strange. Shot clock issues, losing big leads, travel problems.

I don't know who will win, but something interesting will happen.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
RU has been pressing A LOT more this season--and 9 players are averaging double digit minutes for CVS because of it. Thus far, I think she has done an excellent job at working the 5 freshmen into the system, and they are all contributing in different ways.

The slow down game may actually not work to RU's advantage this game, given the height advantage from UT. They may want to force quick shots and run.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
7PM on ESPN
Matchups might be about even.

Posts: Johnson, Baugh, Harrison vs. Oliver, Sykes and Evans. I don't see Sykes being able to play with Johnson so this advantage goes to LV's.

Guards: Simmons and Bass vs. Speed, Rushdan and Wheeler. No contest, RU.

Wings: Stricklen, Spani, Manning, Burdick vs. Laney, Canty. I think Spani is much less than 100% so this might actually be slight advantage LV or maybe even, IMO.

Bench: Advantage to LV.

Coaching and Home court: not a CVS fan, but she matches up ok with the LV coaching by committee, and it's at the RAC, so advantage RU. Note that this group of LV's play pretty much way below their talent away from Knoxville, and it's been that way for three years plus.

To win, RU's guards have to have a great game to offset LV post advantage. They must force LV TO's and get steals, and score as well. RU has a great shot at winning this game IMO. With Chelsea Lee it would be almost a slam dunk, but injuries happen, so it will be tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom