Reminder for Uconn Basketball Players | The Boneyard

Reminder for Uconn Basketball Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
AO is going through a bit of a funk right now. He's not the first Uconn player to go through this and won't be the last. For that matter, he's not the first college kid to have struggles and not grow at a consistent positive rate.

However, it might do him a bit of good to remember who it is he is playing for. Quite possibly the toughest SOB he'll ever meet. A coach of uncompromising toughness and spirit.

The full bio from Wikipedia since it involved more personal info than the official Uconn bio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Calhoun

Paraphrasing-

Calhoun lost his father to a heart attack while he was in high school, but still earned a college scholarship. He dropped out to help his mom and siblings. He worked with stone as a granite cutter and headstone engraver and worked as a gravedigger. After that he went back to college and got his degree.

Clearly JC understands and values the frailty of family, appreciates the worth of a college scholarship and knows how quickly it can all go away.

The guy has twice beaten cancer. First time he coached only 16 days after undergoing surgery to have his prostrate removed. Second time he got on a bike for a charity ride, subsequently dumped his bike on the ride, got back on and finished the ride with five broken ribs.

So, JC probably isn't going to fall for self-pity or uncertainty. He thrives on anxiety and adversity.

My free advice to AO and all current and future Huskies. Toughen up, look in the mirror and ask if you are giving as much to JC as he has given to you and the program.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I thought I read in Calhoun's book that his Dad died suddenly from a heart attack while JC was out playing baseball in his neighborhood but I could be mistaken.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I thought I read in Calhoun's book that his Dad died suddenly from a heart attack while JC was out playing baseball in his neighborhood but I could be mistaken.
I thought it was: he was coming home from school basket ball practice. Some dude shouts out from the window your old man just croaked, get home fast. JC was 16. His father died from a heart attack. His brother is a cardiologist. JC became the de facto head of family when his father died. His basket ball practice took a hit because he had to work to help feed the family. His high school bb coach probably became JC's mentor. I would bet that coach gave JC his persona. He probably screamed and yelled and expected more from his players.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Yes, that's it. Not sure why Wikipedia sats cancer. Since reading that I have always worried about JC intensity. I believe his Dad was only in his 40's.
I thought it was: he was coming home from school basket ball practice. Some dude shouts out from the window your old man just croaked, get home fast. JC was 16. His father died from a heart attack. His brother is a cardiologist. JC became the de facto head of family when his father died. His basket ball practice took a hit because he had to work to help feed the family. His high school bb coach probably became JC's mentor. I would bet that coach gave JC his persona. He probably screamed and yelled and expected more from his players.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes, that's it. Not sure why Wikipedia sats cancer. Since reading that I have always worried about JC intensity. I believe his Dad was only in his 40's.

Actually Wiki was right and I messed up the copy/paste on that portion. His dad did die from a heart attack.

I edited my original post.

Reaction Score
Life gives us choices and we are the ones who decide which to choose. AO chose to come to UCONN and he's getting the tough love he should have had elsewhere. Personal Responsibility......... DEAL WITH IT!!!!!! Make changes AO. We will be there for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom