Remembering a CT hero | The Boneyard

Remembering a CT hero

Reaction Score
I saw the story the other day on Instagram an incredible coincidence.
It does point out how important Ct was to the war effort and how mighty its manufacturing base .
There a Video on YouTube of a Navy Pilot from Stratford landing his Corsair fighter at Bridgeport Airport which was then adjacent to the Chance Vaught / Sirkorsky plant we he had been employed and his mom was still working . The MC was Tiny Markle who I remember on WICC .
Every factory large and small was making something for the war effort .
For Brass City residents million of shell cartridges were produced in that city . Almost no consumer products were produced anywhere .
in fact things were rationed . My daughters family , coffee snobs , were surprised a family could only buy 1lb of coffee every 5 weeks .

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
I saw the story the other day on Instagram an incredible coincidence.
It does point out how important Ct was to the war effort and how mighty its manufacturing base .
There a Video on YouTube of a Navy Pilot from Stratford landing his Corsair fighter at Bridgeport Airport which was then adjacent to the Chance Vaught / Sirkorsky plant we he had been employed and his mom was still working . The MC was Tiny Markle who I remember on WICC .
Every factory large and small was making something for the war effort .
For Brass City residents million of shell cartridges were produced in that city . Almost no consumer products were produced anywhere .
in fact things were rationed . My daughters family , coffee snobs , were surprised a family could only buy 1lb of coffee every 5 weeks .
A WWII vet told me that Bpt. was the most industrialized city in the world during that war. Wouldn't surprise me given the number of red-brick factories still there in the 60's. Row after row. Thousands of multi-family homes.

Reaction Score
I'm from NC obviously but all of my family is from CT. Both grandfathers served in WW2. Had a great uncle pass at the Chosin Reservoir. My father was a force recon marine in the mid to late 70s. Super proud to represent CT.

Reaction Score
Heroic indeed as was our entire country in it’s total commitment and effort to combat Nazis and Fascists.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As a fellow coffee snob, they wouldn't have enjoyed their one pound anyway. But point taken.

Those folks in the Silent and Greatest generations lived through crap that would be unimaginable in today's America.

Reaction Score
Those folks in the Silent and Greatest generations lived through crap that would be unimaginable in today's America.
Us millennials and Gen Zs are getting off easy. All we have to deal with is the collapse of civic life and an increasingly inhospitable planet.

In all seriousness, I cannot imagine going to war. Always thankful to folks who serve now and those before them

Reaction Score
Us millennials and Gen Zs are getting off easy. All we have to deal with is the collapse of civic life and an increasingly inhospitable planet.

In all seriousness, I cannot imagine going to war. Always thankful to folks who serve now and those before them
I’m a mid-season millennial (born 1990).

My grandfather grew up poor in Brooklyn during the 30s and 40s, when welfare was in its infancy. Came from a family of Pennsylvania coal miners. Between poverty and war rationing, he would routinely pretend to have mumps and beg for food door to door. As a child he was often sent to farms in the summer for some money for the family, and of course to make sure he ate. The kids of the neighborhood played stickball and with milk crates. He lost two uncles in the war.

I certainly wouldn’t trade worlds we each grew up in, and I’m glad that that life isn’t anywhere close to the norm like it was then.

The generation that deserves all the crap is the boomers lol

Last edited:

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
I’m a mid-season millennial (born 1990).

My grandfather grew up poor in Brooklyn during the 30s and 40s, when welfare was in its infancy. Came from a family of Pennsylvania coal miners. Between poverty and war rationing, he would routinely pretend to have mumps and beg for food door to door. As a child he was often sent to farms in the summer for some money for the family, and of course to make sure he ate. The kids of the neighborhood played stickball and with milk crates. He lost two uncles in the war.

I certainly wouldn’t trade worlds we each grew up in, and I’m glad that that life isn’t anywhere close to the norm like it was then.

The generation that deserves all the crap is the boomers lol
10,000 Allied casualties, 5,000 killed in one day. 2000 dead on one beach.

They lived through a world-wide depression, fought and won a two-front war that involved the entire population, battled communism for 50 years and served us peace and prosperity on a silver platter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom