Reliving Some Amazing UCWBB feats... and Ranking Them! | The Boneyard

Reliving Some Amazing UCWBB feats... and Ranking Them!

Reaction Score
From reading the Boneyard last night and today, it's clear that this season is already over (too small, too slow, not athletic, not mentally tough, etc), so I thought I would retreat into the past and relish the many amazing accomplishments our ladies have treated us to over the year. And, I'm going to try to rank them!
In my rankings, I have a bias towards lengthy things and things accomplished by different groups of women. That's why 4 NC's in a row is not ranked higher -- it was a super recruiting class with lots of great players right before and after them.
#1) 111 consecutive wins. This is almost unthinkable. More than twice as long as any other team (of course, UConn also had 90 and 70). So many things can go wrong to result in an unexpected loss -- cold shooting by us, hot shooting by an opponent, injuries (oh, how well we know that), even a bad call or two during a close game. I still have nightmares of Saniya's drive to the basket with 15 seconds left, when we could have and should have held for the last shot. She traveled, and then the diminutive William hit that jump shot over a leaping Gabby. Ouch!
#2) 6 undefeated seasons... only 3 undefeated seasons by other teams, none of them more than once. And it was done by 4 different UConn teams: Lobo's.. Bird, Diana, Swin...Maya (2x)... Stewie (2x). And as noted above, so many things can go wrong to result in a loss
#3) 11-1 record in NC games. (11-0 until our recent loss to SC). This is preposterous, again to avoid losing, to teams good enough to make it to the championship game. To remember how easy it is to lose, check out our record in semifinal games -- it's barely over .500
#4) 14 straight Final Fours. Again, a long, amazing streak maintained by a bunch of different groups of ladies. And the next longest streak by any other team is 5!
#5) 25+ years in a row without losing consecutive games (that's 2 1/2 decades, folks!). And it took a raft of injuries for that streak to end.
#6) 4 straight National Championships... seems low, but I explained why above. It was Stewie and a bunch of other great players. (and we might have gotten a bit lucky when Louisville knocked of the Griner Baylor team).
#7) Several hundred games in a row without a loss to an unranked team (one of our ace researches can probably provide the exact number). We lost on a last second basket to St. John's, who were coming off a big win and would have been ranked the next week even if they hadn't beaten us. Bad timing for us!
Seven seems like a good number to end at. Other joys are most consec weeks ranked at number 1 (51), most consecutive weeks ranked (566, I think. We just got that this week, breaking our tie with TN), 26 first round draft choices (6 more than TN), 5 overall #1 WNBA picks (ND, TN, Stan, and So Car each have had 2).
What say you?

Reaction Score
111 wins in a row is definitely the shining star on top of a long list of accomplishments. It likely will be a record that is never beaten. And that's not even mentioning that UConn WBB has 3 of the longest unbeaten streaks ever. Almost impossible to think about.

I personally value the 4 titles in a row as much higher if only because it had never happened before in WBB and probably never will again. And yes we lucked out with Baylor losing to L'Ville, but after we took care of business with ND in the FF that year (after them having had our number for quite a few games!) I think we could have beaten anyone we played in the final. Stewie was NOT going to lose, period. I just think it was such an incredibly difficult feat and especially in 2016 when we were just steam rolling EVERYONE.

Also mentioning that class -- having players picked to go 1, 2, and 3 in the draft from the same school is quite special.

Otherwise, all of the other accomplishments are equally great and difficult for me to rank.

I think somewhere in that list I would include the 2004 and 2014 titles as being particularly special because the men also won on those years. Being the only team to win a duel National Championship is an incredible thing, but to do it TWICE? I don't know if anyone will ever best that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky
Top Bottom