Relax | The Boneyard

Relax

Reaction Score
wait for Oregon before all the visions of grandeur.. Colgate is horrible
Nobody is saying we're great or even good but it looks like we have more players who know what they're doing than we expected. At one time it looked like we wouldn't be able to field a team this season and were just looking for 6'7 guys with a pulse. Ollie has something to work with.

Reaction Score
I just watched the replay of the game and I know Gilbert didn’t have a great game, but that kid is going to be a great Husky for multiple years....

He is Tyler Ulis, not yet, but I am confident he will be as he develops his jump shot & his stamina. The form on his jump shot is good, just needs more reps & shots.

I am very excited about him for this year & the upcoming years, he is going to be a PROBLEM!!

Reaction Score
The most optimistic response I've seen since last night was saying our team is going to have capable players this year. I don't think anyone thinks this team is making a Final Four run after last night, but it's safe to say the floor of this team is raised seeing that a lot of the new players are competent players.

I really don't even think we played that well last night overall. Plenty of good signs and takeaways from individual players. We got basically nothing from 3 of our 4 best players on the offensive end and the game was never really in doubt. Last year we don't win that game, because with no Jalen we wouldn't have the complementary guys to be able to step up and get some buckets like Polley and AA did

Reaction Score
While I agree its too early to celebrate, Colgate is not a terrible team they are going to be contenders in the Patriot League and may make the tournament.

Reaction Score
While I agree its too early to celebrate, Colgate is not a terrible team they are going to be contenders in the Patriot League and may make the tournament.
They were 10-22 last year and lost to canisius by 18 in the preseason

Reaction Score

Who cares? Our best player wasn't on the court, others played more than they may normally. If you don't come into to the season with hope then why even watch?

There were some good things for fans to latch onto, some things which will make you cautious too. But living in the "stop with the visions of grandeur" world must suck. How about well we lost to Wagner with a more experienced team last year so this is a much better start no matter who we played? Nah that wouldn't be any fun huh?

There's no one predicting NC's they're just talking about what they see and what potentially can be. Heck some of the potential may not even begin to impact as much as needed until next year. But there's players and heart to build on along with Sidney and the 3 kids who signed, it's better in Storrs right now.

Reaction Score
Patriot Bracket 2018 & Patriot Tournament Predictions
Predicted to finish 4th and really 2-7 are all interchangeable based on a reasonable standard deviation

Patriot League Preview: Can anyone challenge Bucknell?
Predicted to finish 3rd here

3rd highest ranked team in the Patriot League on KenPom

Are they going to beat Bucknell and win the conference, probably not. But they'll be in the race for an NCAA bid all year

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah - and UConn lost its 1st game last year
What the hell does that have to do with last night and this year?
Thanks for your positive attuitude and history lesson
Another BY curmudgeon

Reaction Score
Yeah - and UConn lost its 1st game last year
What the hell does that have to do with last night and this year?
Thanks for your positive attuitude and history lesson
Another BY curmudgeon
Aren't you smart! Mr curmudgeon. Can you tutor me

pj

Reaction Score

Colgate is similar in quality to Wagner and Northeastern last year. Despite losing the starting bigs and not having our best player yesterday, we're already better than a year ago, and have more depth, chemistry, team spirit, and basketball IQ. Maybe the theoretical ceiling is not as high as last year's team with Brimah and Facey and Purvis, but the realized performance is going to be a lot better.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Colgate is similar in quality to Wagner and Northeastern last year. Despite losing the starting bigs and not having our best player yesterday, we're already better than a year ago, and have more depth, chemistry, team spirit, and basketball IQ. Maybe the theoretical ceiling is not as high as last year's team with Brimah and Facey and Purvis, but the realized performance is going to be a lot better.
This! This! This! A thousand times this.

I can't speak for others but I'm usually more relaxed after a victory than after a loss, if for no other reason than other chuckleheads in this forum besides myself are relaxed as well.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

We lost to Northeaster and Wagner last year.

You relax.

68747470733a2f2f662e636c6f75642e6769746875622e636f6d2f6173736574732f3135333539362f323339313931302f36346362343761322d613937302d313165332d396362302d3762326437346133343535642e6a7067.jpeg

Reaction Score
I dont care how terrible Colgate is, the way that team came out with Larrier hitting threes, grabbing a decent amount of boards, and not turning the ball over too much. The team looked like well, a team. With Adams being suspended CV is the only player who played more than four games last year, the game looked good. Cant wait to see the rest of the season play out.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not worried about Gilbert - he just looked anxious to me.

What was most encouraging last night was Anderson. He actually looked like he knew what he was doing agains the zone which has been something that has eluded even Adams at times. And Larrier continues to learn that he’s a wonderful player from 17’ and in and not so much outside of that.

I don’t know if the newcomers are the most skilled players out there, but to a man, they have great attitudes and there’s a lot of ‘want-to’ there. They try.

Still think this is just a fringe NCAA team right now - the in-game lapses are still there in spades and there’s so many new parts being worked into the mix, but at least they’ve got some interesting pieces.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

What was most encouraging last night was Anderson. He actually looked like he knew what he was doing agains the zone which has been something that has eluded even Adams at times. And Larrier continues to learn that he’s a wonderful player from 17’ and in and not so much outside of that.

I don’t know if the newcomers are the most skilled players out there, but to a man, they have great attitudes and there’s a lot of ‘want-to’ there. They try.

Still think this is just a fringe NCAA team right now - the in-game lapses are still there in spades and there’s so many new parts being worked into the mix, but at least they’ve got some interesting pieces.

While likely to be frustrating at times, the big difference this year is that they should be fun to watch. Last season, I often had a hard time tuning in. Games were brutal to watch. Just not enjoyable.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I agree. I honestly think we have the talent to be a tournament team. Those freshmen bigs, and Cobb, showed a lot of activity and springiness. They looked good!

Anderson hit a very big bucket for us. Tough shot, but the clock was running down, so he had to take it. 12 points and 6 dimes in his debut for us. Pretty nice.

Nice to get that win with Jalen on the pine ("leaving the scene of a scooter accident" is a phrase I never thought I'd read), Gilbert going 2/13, and Vital forgetting to show up.

I think whether or not we make the tourny will come down to coaching. Take from that what you will. I think we have the players. With Adams, Larrier, Gilbert, Vital, and a glut of bigs to plug and play, we're much more talented than last year's squad. It'll be the staff's ability to maximize their skills that will determine how far we go. As a Celtics fan, there's no question in my mind that Brad Stevens would coach this team to the Sweet 16.

Ollie could take us there too. Or we could wind up in the NIT. (I do not see us finishing with a losing record this year, barring a catastrophic wave of injuries.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom