Related effect of Conference Realignment...Bowl Watching. | The Boneyard

Related effect of Conference Realignment...Bowl Watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I no longer care to watch Bowl Games. Watched parts of the Duke Cinny game - great game but I really didn't want either team to win. WVU vs Syr? Geeze. So many former Big East teams or teams from Leagues who have rejected us. Watching any of these games just leaves me pissed off. Of course, it doesn't help that UConn is out for a 2nd year in a row. I guess I could root for the new BE teams but I feel so bad about this conference right now...

I did graduate from USCe so I at least feel some kind of expectation for that game. Go Cocks!

Reaction Score
I've actually been more into bowl games this year than I have in a long time because of conference realignment. I don't know why though, it's not like what you do on the field matters in all of this

Reaction Score
Its nearly unwatchable for me.
I have no idea what conference anyone is in, and therefore, have no idea who to root for.

Also, we suck, and aren't playing (thanks paul and george)

Reaction Score
I watch and wonder again just how these guys could have beaten us. The only true stars from any of our opponents in these Bowl games so far has been Rutgers LB Green and the Cincy QB. He looked good against us but even better against Duke.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I watch and wonder again just how these guys could have beaten us. The only true stars from any of our opponents in these Bowl games so far has been Rutgers LB Green and the Cincy QB. He looked good against us but even better against Duke.
Just remember, we broke Bridgewater and beat up Louisville. Florida may win by 50.

Reaction Score
I no longer care to watch Bowl Games. Watched parts of the Duke Cinny game - great game but I really didn't want either team to win. WVU vs Syr? Geeze. So many former Big East teams or teams from Leagues who have rejected us. Watching any of these games just leaves me pissed off. Of course, it doesn't help that UConn is out for a 2nd year in a row. I guess I could root for the new BE teams but I feel so bad about this conference right now...

I did graduate from USCe so I at least feel some kind of expectation for that game. Go Cocks!

I agree, however I was very happy to read about how RU blew the game to a pathetic VT team.

Note to Delaney - that was just a glimpse of the crap you will see regarding RU athletics.

Note to RU - congrats on your BIG invite, now you can go back to being the bottom dweller in all sports, but have fun cashing your quarterly BIG checks. You won the big prize, now please give those Delaney photos to SH.

Reaction Score
Have not watched a single bowl game. May tune into Ville-Florida, will def. tune into N. Illinois-FSU (expect NIU to get walloped) and will watch Bama-ND.

Reaction Score
The first half of the RU/VA Tech bowl game is the first bowl action I've watched this season. I'm stunned RU lost as that game felt like RU should have been up like 30-0, at half time. Still, guess the real RU managed to show up.

With me its a combination of the conference realignment saga which has damaged us more than any other program in the country and the Deleone saga which has sapped my enthusiasm of UConn football. We need some positive news regarding conference realignment. Not necessarily an invite somewhere else, but at least some positive news regarding the TV contract would be encouraging.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
College sports is the only sports league in the world that has not figured out that you only grow your market by franchise expansion. There are no new fans in existing markets, so the only way college sports as a whole can increase the sports overall audience is to be more inclusive, not less. If the sport continues down its current path of exclusion, fan interest and ratings will continue to contract.

Reaction Score
College sports is the only sports league in the world that has not figured out that you only grow your market by franchise expansion. There are no new fans in existing markets, so the only way college sports as a whole can increase the sports overall audience is to be more inclusive, not less. If the sport continues down its current path of exclusion, fan interest and ratings will continue to contract.

I think you're right, and beyond this, when the club is exclusively 64 and it matters very little what conference you're in, the big schools will train their sights on the smaller ones, and they'll start grabbing more revenue from them. Right now, they are still in the process of starving the BE, MWC and maybe the ACC. once that competition is eliminated, they'll train their sights on Baylor, Vandy, Northwestern, Iowa St., Wash St., etc.

Reaction Score
I think you're right, and beyond this, when the club is exclusively 64 and it matters very little what conference you're in, the big schools will train their sights on the smaller ones, and they'll start grabbing more revenue from them. Right now, they are still in the process of starving the BE, MWC and maybe the ACC. once that competition is eliminated, they'll train their sights on Baylor, Vandy, Northwestern, Iowa St., Wash St., etc.

MHver3 says so... :D http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=11106927

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Only have rooting interest in teams I picked for the BY Bowl Pick 'em. Other than that I could care less who wins any of these games. The worst part is that the BCS championship features two teams I loathe. I hate, HATE ND yet I can't stand Alabama either. I'm a big fan of parity but I truly feel that there is none in College FB anymore. If you play in the SEC, you'll likely be one of two teams in the Nat'l Championship. Yawn.....wake me when new teams get a shot....a fair shot.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I have also had zero interest in any of the bowl games. I check out scores after the fact to see how my BY Bowl Pick 'Em team is doing but, like many others, it's tough to watch these games when I hate the majority of college athletics these days. I watched a little RU/VT but started channel surfing when the game started sucking (almost immediately). In fact, I see myself turning into a "if it's not UConn, it's crap" fan. That means, I don't watch UL/Kentucky bball or WVU/Cuse fball. I watch UConn/Faux Huskies today and that's it. everyone else, honestly.

Reaction Score

Not sure I agree with this. Otherwise we'd have far more pro franchises than we already do. A market can be oversaturated. Besides, professional sports are more about large city franchises while college sports appears more concerned with states than cities per se.

For college football, I've felt for a long time that the focus should be on where interest and viewership is weakest and how do you increase interest and viewership there?

The weakest regions are the East Coast (except Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina) and the West Coast. So how do you increase interest in these regions? By getting as many Kings and Barons playing in that region as possible. Larry Scott got this. He knew the Pac was going to be a monster with Texas and Oklahoma. If college football were run like a professional sports organization, that deal would have met the commissioner's approval. Sure, the state of Utah might have been left out, but the increase interest from California, Washington, Arizona, and Oregon would have more than made up for that loss. And the viewership in Texas and Oklahoma wasn't going to be damaged by them going to the Pac-12.

On the East Coast, merging the better programs of the ACC and the Big East has been a long, arduous process that has taken some weird turns. But that definitely was the way to go to try and increase eastern interest, particularly northeastern viewership. Four programs in North Carolina are probably two too many, at the very least one too many. In a perfect world, Maryland stays, PSU and ND join (the two Kings the East Coast are most interested in) and UConn replaces Wake. Eastern interest skyrockets from Miami to Boston and North Carolina viewership isn't hurt by the loss of Wake.

In both of these examples, there are losses and there are gains, just like in professional sports where one city loses a franchise while another one gains. Unfortunately, where the interest and viewership is highest right now (BiG and SEC territory), truly didn't want the latter to happen, which also contributed to the West Coast deal falling apart.

So what we have is chaos and uncertainty in the northeast particularly. Sure, SU has a lifeboat, for now. But who knows for how long? Only programs in the region that appear "safe" are PSU, Maryland, and Rutgers.

Cheers,
Neil

Reaction Score
The only bowl game I've watched so far was RU/VTech and that was primarily because I was with some relatives that went to VTech. I can't remember ever being so apathetic during a bowl season, and I don't think it's just because we didn't make one. All of the reasons I used to prefer college football over the pros are being smudged. I don't even know who's playing in most of them. I think it would help if the bowl games made more of an effort at putting together compelling match ups. Half of this years bowls would have been conference games a couple years ago.

Reaction Score
I think conference realignment has the chance to completely duck college football. College football is not acting strategically as a whole, the strategy is one of survival for individual programs within their conferences.

At its core, college football is driven by regional interest. Sure, inter-regional play drives interest during the beginning of the season and during the bowls, but the majority of the season is driven by regional interest (read conference play). ND, USC are the exception, not the rule. This regional interest is at risk of being depleted in major sections of the country.

Further, I do think this thing might be headed to 64 programs or less that break away from the NCAA. That, to me, will simply look like "NFL light". It's simply not what a big share of the college football fan base want out of college football.

It may be too late. I see nothing in the way of leadership to take this on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom