Rehabbing/Bonding Danger and Evina | The Boneyard

Rehabbing/Bonding Danger and Evina

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
From our new Courant beat reporter Alexa Philippou:

UConn women: Rehabbing Crystal Dangerfield, Evina Westbrook find time to bond

"Fortunately, the worst of their rehab is behind them. Westbrook said she’s feeling less pain while continuing to focus on building her strength. Dangerfield, who said her hip is taking a bit longer than expected to bounce back, has not hesitated to “show-and-tell” her teammates as she sees fit from the sideline, stepping into the leadership role required of her as a senior point guard.

For Westbrook, Dangerfield has provided invaluable support as she has navigated through the various mental hurdles of this offseason.

“[Crystal’s] been through the surgery process before. She’s been through the basketball system before. Just being able to pick her brain ... I’m a junior, but I’m new to the team, so I’m trying to get used to things, and she’s been a really big help,” Westbrook said.

“Both of us know, we're friends for life now because of what we had to struggle through,” Dangerfield said.
“It's been a long journey,” Westbrook said. “But I wouldn't pick a better teammate to go through it.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
More on rehab from Doug:

Recovery from surgery slow for UConn guard Crystal Dangerfield

"The Huskies begin the preseason Nov. 6 against Division-II Trevecca Nazarene, a team guided by Dangerfield’s high school coach, Chad Hibdon. After participating in the autograph session with her teammates Thursday, Dangerfield expressed mild optimism that she’ll return by then.

“As far as I know, yeah, but things can change,” she said. “They’re kind of doing the same timetable as it was for my first hip (surgery), and it’s a little bit different than it was for my first time.”

Evina Westbrook still doesn’t know when she’ll make her UConn debut. The Tennessee transfer continues to await word from the NCAA on her waiver.

“I haven’t heard anything yet, but I’m very hopeful,” she said.
In the meantime, Westbrook is rehabbing from microfracture surgery on her left knee. She’s been training with Dangerfield and is also hoping to be back for the start of the preseason.

“It’s definitely hard going through this, with my knee and the waiver,” she said. “My teammates definitely help me, they motivate me every day. Even though, if it turns out I’m not able to play this year, my teammates are going to … keep encouraging me.”

Added Westbrook: “That three-to-four months window, I’m still aiming towards that. It looks pretty good right now.”

PS. Evina: “I was here for both summer sessions,” she noted. “To be here and to go through the process with (my teammates), it’s been amazing. I couldn’t ask for better teammates and a better coaching staff.” I suspect that team chemistry touted every summer at Tenn was a different experience.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Second blurb describes CW and ONO's PanAm 3 x 3 experiences and how it helped them for the upcoming season.

Hope more information on our newbies in particular will be forthcoming.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hope more information on our newbies in particular will be forthcoming.

Yes, it will, because the long summer of our discontent is about over. There will be new and sometimes conflicting information and we'll have arguments about it. The nattering nabobs of negativity will come out to play. The 5th starter theme will become a big thing. All glorious.

Reaction Score
Wow, I didn't realize that Westbrook's surgery was so serious. I just assumed that she was getting a simple scope procedure to clean her knee up. Microfracture surgery is an entirely different animal, and is very alarming as to the chronic condition of Westbrook's knee. Microfracture surgery is a cartilage restoration procedure that has been used with very mixed results in high level athletes. It is the same surgery that Tuck had.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It is the same surgery that Tuck had.

There's been some confusion about exactly what type of procedure Tuck had. I believe she had the OATS procedure, not microfracture.

Reaction Score
Wow, I didn't realize that Westbrook's surgery was so serious. I just assumed that she was getting a simple scope procedure to clean her knee up. Microfracture surgery is an entirely different animal, and is very alarming as to the chronic condition of Westbrook's knee. Microfracture surgery is a cartilage restoration procedure that has been used with very mixed results in high level athletes. It is the same surgery that Tuck had.
Pedroia had it and says it was a mistake to do. Says if he'd known the difficulty in coming back he wouldn't have done it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Yes, it probably was a long term thing. Best short description of the technique I have seen:

"The microfracture procedure is done arthroscopically. The surgeon visually assesses the defect and performs the procedure using special instruments that are inserted through three small incisions on the knee. After assessing the cartilage damage, any unstable cartilage is removed from the exposed bone. The surrounding rim of remaining articular cartilage is also checked for loose or marginally attached cartilage. This loose cartilage is also removed so that there is a stable edge of cartilage surrounding the defect. The process of thoroughly cleaning and preparing the defect is essential for optimum results.

Multiple holes, or microfractures, are then made in the exposed bone about 3 to 4mm apart. Bone marrow cells and blood from the holes combine to form a "super clot" that completely covers the damaged area. This marrow-rich clot is the basis for the new tissue formation. The microfracture technique produces a rough bone surface that the clot adheres to more easily. This clot eventually matures into firm repair tissue that becomes smooth and durable. Since this maturing process is gradual, it usually takes two to six months after the procedure for the patient to experience improvement in the pain and function of the knee. Improvement is likely to continue for about 2 to 3 years."

Of course, we don't know what surface or surfaces are involved in Evina's case.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Pedroia had it and says it was a mistake to do. Says if he'd known the difficulty in coming back he wouldn't have done it.
Who? How is a 35 year old broken down baseball player relevant to a 20 year old? Could be a different surgery, different wear and tear, definitely different sport requirements (torque of batting, sliding, lateral range and sliding) Different people react differently to surgeries and then the different stresses of their sport.
Let us not surmise to much Negative energy on unknowns. ;)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
More quotes from Carl Adamec:

“I feel great, to be honest, and just taking it day by day,” Westbrook said. “Working with our trainers and coaches, I feel stronger every day. I’m getting healthier, but I am trying to take it slow so that I don’t re-injure the knee. I feel good with where I’m at.”

Reaction Score
Who? How is a 35 year old broken down baseball player relevant to a 20 year old? Could be a different surgery, different wear and tear, definitely different sport requirements (torque of batting, sliding, lateral range and sliding) Different people react differently to surgeries and then the different stresses of their sport.
Let us not surmise to much Negative energy on unknowns. ;)
I didn’t speculate or surmise anything, I simply stated Pedroia’s opinion on the surgery. You’re the one doing the comparisons and surmising. This “ negative energy” spin on everything is funny.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I believe the June 4 surgery was the first (and only) such procedure on Evina's knee.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Yes, it will, because the long summer of our discontent is about over. There will be new and sometimes conflicting information and we'll have arguments about it. The nattering nabobs of negativity will come out to play. The 5th starter theme will become a big thing. All glorious.
Another Spiro fan!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Yes, Evina has had some problems with her knee since her freshman year. She said as much this past summer when discussing her surgery:

"Earlier this month, Westbrook underwent microfracture surgery on her left knee, which she said had been bothering her since the middle of freshman year. The school said she’s expected to return in October.

“I’ve been having problems with it for a while now,” she noted. “It’s been bad. Especially this past year, it got really bad. I really wanted to get this problem fixed to be able to be healthy and help this team to the best of my ability.”

In any event, I took issue with drawing parallels between Evina and Brit Hunter, a player whose knee never fully healed and who was never the same player. There's no basis for such a comparison at this time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom