Regular season officiating compared to tourney/playoffs. | The Boneyard

Regular season officiating compared to tourney/playoffs.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
So it’s fairly obvious that once elimination games commence, the officiating changes drastically. We’ve seen it the past two NCAA tourneys, they let the players get physical and rarely call fouls unless it’s blatant or obvious.

As I’m watching the NuggetsWolves game 2, the Nuggets coach ran across the court and almost tackled the ref because players are falling left n right, and no fouls are being called.

This is happening in the ncaa tourney and nba playoffs. It benefits the bigger and stronger teams like UConn but does not benefit the teams who rely on the refs to get the advantage based on their skill players and quickness levels. With no clear advantage coming from how the refs are officiating the game, it all comes down to the bigger and stronger team will win.

This year, Clingan, Castle, and Newton were relatively bigger and stronger than their opponents but we probably won’t have the same luxury next season. Just curious if anyone else is noticing this too. I enjoy this kind of refereeing because it takes the refs out of the game and puts the outcome in the player’s hands.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
The TNT crew was discussing the Nuggets/Wolves game and the physicality.

Barkley - C’mon man, that’s a charge in all 50 states.
Shaq - Move your feet like they teach you in elementary school, Chuck.

Best comedy on tv.

Reaction Score
So it’s fairly obvious that once elimination games commence, the officiating changes drastically. We’ve seen it the past two NCAA tourneys, they let the players get physical and rarely call fouls unless it’s blatant or obvious.

As I’m watching the NuggetsWolves game 2, the Nuggets coach ran across the court and almost tackled the ref because players are falling left n right, and no fouls are being called.

This is happening in the ncaa tourney and nba playoffs. It benefits the bigger and stronger teams like UConn but does not benefit the teams who rely on the refs to get the advantage based on their skill players and quickness levels. With no clear advantage coming from how the refs are officiating the game, it all comes down to the bigger and stronger team will win.

This year, Clingan, Castle, and Newton were relatively bigger and stronger than their opponents but we probably won’t have the same luxury next season. Just curious if anyone else is noticing this too. I enjoy this kind of refereeing because it takes the refs out of the game and puts the outcome in the player’s hands.
I think the Pacers may beg to differ with you.

By the way, that play was as close to a duplicate of the defining play in the UConn women's loss to Iowa as you could have. It wasn't "not a foul," but it was a kind of foul that is mostly ignored and always ignored in end of game situations. And I say that as a Knick fan.

Reaction Score

I have not seen the NBA games you reference. The similarity between the NBA playoffs and NCAA is that they both lead/decide a champion. That is mostly where the similarity ends. The NCAA tourney is played on neutral courts, where the playoffs alternate home and away. That is probably a big factor in how these games are officiated and which teams are complaining on any given night. UConn has been the benefactor of physicality, either by us or against us. We have been fortunate in many ways on neutral courts rather than home and away (regular season) situations.

Reaction Score
I think the Pacers may beg to differ with you.

By the way, that play was as close to a duplicate of the defining play in the UConn women's loss to Iowa as you could have. It wasn't "not a foul," but it was a kind of foul that is mostly ignored and always ignored in end of game situations. And I say that as a Knick fan.

Stan Van Gundy completely agreed with you. He was blunt “You never call that!” WCBB refs must be jealous :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom