regional recruiting? | The Boneyard

regional recruiting?

Reaction Score
I've noticed a recruiting trend i dont care for. We seem to recruiting locally a little more exclusively. Where are our recruits from Africa, Germany, etc... i think i even read that KO is concentrating on local recruits more. Maybe it was mentioned in one of the recent KO interview posts. Anyways, i don't care for it. It seems it little lazy. For lack of a better word.

I dont want to pile on KO. He's gets enough slack these days, but a trend appears to be developing and i dont care for it.

Reaction Score
I've noticed a recruiting trend i dont care for. We seem to recruiting locally a little more exclusively. Where are our recruits from Africa, Germany, etc... i think i even read that KO is concentrating on local recruits more. Maybe it was mentioned in one of the recent KO interview posts. Anyways, i don't care for it. It seems it little lazy. For lack of a better word.

I dont want to pile on KO. He's gets enough slack these days, but a trend appears to be developing and i dont care for it.
We're most likely to get high level talent out of certain regions. For UConn the most likely places are New England, NJ/NYC, perhaps more of the DMV thanks to Chillious, Georgia/maybe Florida, and Los Angeles. There is more than enough attainable talent in these areas to field amazing teams and our guys are working their butts off to real in that talent.

Reaction Score

Today alone, UConn offered kids from:
  • Montreal @ a school in Florida (Dort)
  • Virginia (Johnson)
  • Georgia (Hagans/Williams)
  • South Carolina (Brown)
  • North Carolina (Nickelberry)
  • Maryland (Mathis)
  • Maryland w/ AAU team in NYC (Mucius)
Plus they showed interest in the UMass kids from NOLA, could land Vance's best friend who played ball in Cali from Michigan. And as I noted in another thread, NYC/NJ is still a hot bed for recruiting and should be used to its potential (see studs like Jalen Carey, Jahvon Quinerly, Moses Brown, Naz Reid, Louis King). Same goes for Boston where UConn has done well historically although it feels as if the fallout from Miller has put UConn in a bad position with the Reeves/Duke/Swider bunch for 2018 so will probably be getting kids more from MD/NYC/NJ in the backcourt for that class.

It seems to be a good mix of kids from the northeast by sheer proximity, mid atlantic (Chill), southeast (Moore/Killings), and maybe a little less than previous years west coast (Ollie). They cover the map nicely in connections.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Today alone, UConn offered kids from:
  • Montreal @ a school in Florida (Dort)
  • Virginia (Johnson)
  • Georgia (Hagans/Williams)
  • South Carolina (Brown)
  • North Carolina (Nickelberry)
  • Maryland (Mathis)
  • Maryland w/ AAU team in NYC (Mucius)
Plus they showed interest in the UMass kids from NOLA, could land Vance's best friend who played ball in Cali from Michigan. And as I noted in another thread, NYC/NJ is still a hot bed for recruiting and should be used to its potential (see studs like Jalen Carey, Jahvon Quinerly, Moses Brown, Naz Reid, Louis King). Same goes for Boston where UConn has done well historically although it feels as if the fallout from Miller has put UConn in a bad position with the Reeves/Duke/Swider bunch for 2018 so will probably be getting kids more from MD/NYC/NJ in the backcourt for that class.

It seems to be a good mix of kids from the northeast by sheer proximity, mid atlantic (Chill), southeast (Moore/Killings), and maybe a little less than previous years west coast (Ollie). They cover the map nicely in connections.
Nice overview. Great job.

Reaction Score

Sounds like you're trying to say "internationally" not locally. We're recruiting from all over the country.

It would be a waste of resources to go abroad to find recruits. Good players come here for HS. And many of those are very, very raw. The kinds of kids were trying to avoid, it seems

temery

What?
Reaction Score
How does an offer work? Is there a time limit on accepting, or does a school say, "We're offering x, you, and z. First to accept gets the scholarship?"

Reaction Score
Yeah, i suppose we still are recruiting and winning all over the country. Jackson (CA), Gilbert (GA), offers all over the country...nevermind i guess. Thanks for setting me straight.

Reaction Score

Hear what you're saying, not getting players anymore like Thabeet, Giffey, Sheffer,and others. That being said I think KO needs to recruit close to home for the time being given the urgency at filling the roster. What I would criticize KO on was his firing of Glenn Miller. I thought that was extremely short sighted. Miller is an excellent recruiter, knows the local scene.

Reaction Score
The whole "international pipeline" thing is so overblown. We got Nadav and Sheffer in the late 80s/early 90s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of our impactful "international" players, except Giffey, were guys who matriculated at American high schools.

Souleymane was at Redemption in NY.
Ajou at T-More
Thabeet played HS ball in Houston
Brimah played HS ball in Florida
Facey played HS ball in NY

So that leaves...
Giffey, Tolksdorf, Enosch from Germany
Justin Brown and Majok from Australia
Gilad Katz and Uri Cohen Mintz from Israel
Okwandu from Nigeria

So, our true international players in the 21st century have all been relative flops except for Giffey... I'm thinking I'd like our staff to focus on the regional recruiting game.

pj

Reaction Score

You are already out of date. Chillious is recruiting nationally. Killings in mid-Atlantic and Ricky Georgia. KO has always had a finger in California.

I was expecting your complaint to go the other way, we are emphasizing national recruiting and potentially losing ground locally to Providence and Seton Hall. Miller liked to stay local so while he was leading recruiting we focused on local guys.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How does an offer work? Is there a time limit on accepting, or does a school say, "We're offering x, you, and z. First to accept gets the scholarship?"

Both and others. You can pull an offer any time, and schools will use whatever method they can to entice a kid to recruit.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

We never really canvased Europe/Africa. Our African kids were mostly all from US schools (accept maybe Majok? or Ajou?). Euro guys were a result of contacts of JC. I'm quite certain KO doesn't have the same amount of relationships overseas as JC had built over 40 years.

Reaction Score
The whole "international pipeline" thing is so overblown. We got Nadav and Sheffer in the late 80s/early 90s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of our impactful "international" players, except Giffey, were guys who matriculated at American high schools.

Souleymane was at Redemption in NY.
Ajou at T-More
Thabeet played HS ball in Houston
Brimah played HS ball in Florida
Facey played HS ball in NY

So that leaves...
Giffey, Tolksdorf, Enosch from Germany
Justin Brown and Majok from Australia
Gilad Katz and Uri Cohen Mintz from Israel
Okwandu from Nigeria

So, our true international players in the 21st century have all been relative flops except for Giffey... I'm thinking I'd like our staff to focus on the regional recruiting game.
Chuck played JuCo in the US prior to coming to UConn

Poe

Reaction Score
We need to hire this this guy. Great recruiter in Africa:

jimmydolan_display_image.jpg

Reaction Score
The way things have been going we may need to start recruiting walk-ons from our regional campuses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom