Redmen ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

Redmen ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My thoughts on yesterday's debacle are based on not seeing the game live. I knew I would not be able to see it, but since YoutubeTV records all the Husky games for me, I just made sure to avoid any news of the game until I got home and sat down to watch the replay.

Two Hawkins threes off Adama passes had me feeling good when my phone beeped at me. It was a message from a "friend" who constantly belittles the team. "How bout them Huskies, huh?" I knew that was a sure sign that there would be no happy ending.

Then Hawkins stuffed the ball with authority. I wanted to enjoy it, but couldn't shake the knowledge that victory would elude us. Before long, I caved and started skipping my way through the replay. So I'm fuzzy on details. But here's what I came away with.

1. We got trashed in two consecutive games by totally different coaching strategies. Marquette shut down Hawkins. St. John's let Hawkins get his, and shut down pretty much everything else, except perhaps Sanogo. Or maybe they didn't so much shut down everyone else, everyone else just sucked.
  2. It was almost 5 minutes in before someone not named Hawkins scored a Husky point.
  3. Hawk's layup at about the 8 minute mark in the 2nd half made it a 4 point game. Victory was still within the realm of possibility. And that's pretty much when the wheels fell off. We were down by double digits 90 seconds later, and didn't score again until the 3½ minute mark.
  4. Hawk was great, except for turning it over 7 times! Yes, he handled the ball more than anyone else, but 7 TOs?
  5. Clingan's 4 fouls in pretty much no time at all were a major factor, but Adama played well and held up the inside game.
  6. The flagrant call on Clingan seemed questionable to me. Did he elbow Jones, or did Jones stick his chin into Clingan's arm's path?
  7. Karaban had a decent, but not outstanding, outing.
  8. Everyone in a white uniform not named Hawkins, Sanogo or Karaban, not so much.
  9. We dominated the boards and had more assists, but still managed to suck.
  10. 21 TOs is a totally unacceptable number. If we kept the TOs down to a dozen, we probably win this game.
  11. 51 total fouls would suggest that either the game was really physical or the refs sucked. From what I could tell in my quick review, it seemed both teams got a little chippy, and the refs over reacted.
  12. Thoughts of this year's team being among the game's elite -- not just by fans, but by national media "experts" as well -- are dreams of the pipe variety.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
The refs are tight this year - there were 4 Ts in that game? I think DC's was bogus, he's 7'2" that's where his elbows are. The T that got Sanogo tossed, what was that? I believe they gave Anderson one too in the last few minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24
Top Bottom