Redditor Calculates Rankings of Basketball's Powers | The Boneyard

Redditor Calculates Rankings of Basketball's Powers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
So a redditor (a cinci fan) created his own metric to calculate tournament success of the sport's leaders. Turns out it's pretty flattering for us, and produces what I personally think is one of the most accurate tournament success "rankings" and general rankings of the game's top programs. I'd say it certainly shows we have a case of being considered a "blue blood" but let the good ole boys have that as they'll always fight tooth and nail to keep us out of that club.

And yet despite this, we have to publicly beg for a seat at the P5 table, funny. Anyway, thought people here might appreciate the read.

Ranking Tournament Success of Power Teams : CollegeBasketball

Reaction Score
Saw this the other day - pretty cool stuff. I'll have to find the link, but I recall this gent getting a bit more detailed in the analysis.

Reaction Score
But UConn has more championships than Kansas! Surely UConn should be higher?

/s

Reaction Score
So a redditor (a cinci fan) created his own metric to calculate tournament success of the sport's leaders. Turns out it's pretty flattering for us, and produces what I personally think is one of the most accurate tournament success "rankings" and general rankings of the game's top programs. I'd say it certainly shows we have a case of being considered a "blue blood" but let the good ole boys have that as they'll always fight tooth and nail to keep us out of that club.

And yet despite this, we have to publicly beg for a seat at the P5 table, funny. Anyway, thought people here might appreciate the read.

Ranking Tournament Success of Power Teams : CollegeBasketball

Something is wrong there. The timeline is very short. There are 4 BE champs, which can only be true if you start in 2004. 2 UConn, 1 Louisville, 1 Villanova. Start in 1999, you're up to 6 championships, 2003, you're at 5.

So assuming the start is 2004 there is no way UConn is not ahead of Indiana and Louisville. 3 national championships and 4 final 4s.

Reaction Score
Something is wrong there. The timeline is very short. There are 4 BE champs, which can only be true if you start in 2004. 2 UConn, 1 Louisville, 1 Villanova. Start in 1999, you're up to 6 championships, 2003, you're at 5.

So assuming the start is 2004 there is no way UConn is not ahead of Indiana and Louisville. 3 national championships and 4 final 4s.
Assuming I understand what you're saying, conference numbers go by current conference affiliation and not what conference teams were in when they won.

BUConn10

Reaction Score

The creator said he gave all of those old big east team's titles to their current conferences, he also mentioned something about how the new big east is technically a new conference, it did not carry over from the original big east.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And yet despite this, we have to publicly beg for a seat at the P5 table, funny.

That pesky little football thing gettin in the way.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
That pesky little football thing gettin in the way.
True. But then you look at the fact that maybe well over a third of all P5 programs have never accomplished anything of value in both basketball AND football. Programs who just happened to be at the right place at the right time, and our current situation gets tougher to swallow.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
True. But then you look at the fact that maybe well over a third of all P5 programs have never accomplished anything of value in both basketball AND football. Programs who just happened to be at the right place at the right time, and our current situation gets tougher to swallow.

Oh, I guarantee some schools would like some other schools to leave, but that's a tough thing to engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom