Red Sox prospects | The Boneyard

Red Sox prospects

Reaction Score
it seems to be a n unwritten rule they are overhyped. I'm fine if they use as a means to trade for legit players, but having to see the effects of Swihart, JBJ, Matt Barnes, Travis Shaw, Vasquez, weeks, etc. is painful. What a mess.

Reaction Score
Throw in Bogaerts, Betts and Eduardo Rodriguez, they are also awful.

Swihart was called up a year to early because they lost both of their MLB catchers, he'll be OK. Bradley deserves to be up right now, they man is hitting well in AAA and is a gold glove caliber OF. Hopefully once the trade deadline is passed he'll playing the next 50 games.

Hold on, you're including weeks as a prospect? How much coke are you snorting right now?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I thought I had this clown on ignore. I think he feels like it's his job to gripe about anything and everything, as well as painfully exaggerate in all of his arguments. He said he was done with Rusney Castillo and officially named him a waste of money in another thread. Probably a fairweather guy who was attracted during one of the recent WS runs.

Reaction Score
Betts, Bogaerts, Swihart and Rodriquez are no longer prospects but young talented young players and perhaps the nucleus for the next good Red Sox team. Rusney is still a prospect as is Henry Owens and Brian Johnson, Manuel Margot and Yoan Moncado. Jackie Bradley Jr. is an enigma to me. He has shown himself to be a consistent solid hitter in Triple A but he still struggles at the major league level. He is a great outfielder with a cannon for an arm. If he ever figures out the hitting part, he could be a star. If Ben trades him, it could be something that we regret down the road.

Reaction Score
Out of all the prospects the Sox have brought up 2 (Bogaerts, Betts) are borderline all-stars and E-Rod has shown he has great stuff when he hits his spots (and doesn't tip his pitches). Look around the league and you will be hard pressed to find a team that has had multiple prize prospects unless they were consistanly picking in the top 5 for multiple years like the Cubs, Astros, Nats, etc.

This season is a heaping pile of goo but place the blame on the rotation headed by a group of #5 starters and and unbelievably inconsistent offense.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I believe Keith Law had the Sox system ranked #1 right now and thats AFTER guys like Betts, Bogaerts and Eduardo have been called up.

5 prospects in the top 50 in MLB are in the Sox System, 1 in AAA, 1 in AA and 3 still in A (Owens, Margot, Devers, Moncada, Guerra).

They also just drafted the top collegiate player this year and hey! They're on track for a top 5 pick in what is supposed to be a loaded draft next year. At this point, just keep sucking!

FYI, Mlb.com's Jonathan Mayo had the Sox rated #1 overall based on a points system they give all prospects in their top 100.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I believe Keith Law had the Sox system ranked #1 right now and thats AFTER guys like Betts, Bogaerts and Eduardo have been called up.

5 prospects in the top 50 in MLB are in the Sox System, 1 in AAA, 1 in AA and 3 still in A (Owens, Margot, Devers, Moncada, Guerra).

They also just drafted the top collegiate player this year and hey! They're on track for a top 5 pick in what is supposed to be a loaded draft next year. At this point, just keep sucking!

FYI, Mlb.com's Jonathan Mayo had the Sox rated #1 overall based on a points system they give all prospects in their top 100.
The Sox farm teams are almost all playing poorly. Pawtucket (3A) and Portland (2A) are a combined 82-129 and are in last place or next to last in their leagues. Their second half records are much worse than the first half. I completely agree that the system has produced well recently with Mookie, Xander, Eduardo and Blake Swihart. They are a great nucleus for the future. Both Johnson and Owens have potential but it is unlikely that either will be a top of the rotation starter. Manuel Margot has great speed but has not hit particularly well in the minors. I haven't seen much that would make him a top prospect. Devers, Moncado and Guerra are still at single A Greenville. They are very young and none of them seems to have much plate discipline. None of them are hitting over .300. Moncado seems to be a great base stealer but he is also an awful defender. He cannot seem to make the throw from second to first.

Reaction Score
The Sox farm teams are almost all playing poorly. Pawtucket (3A) and Portland (2A) are a combined 82-129 and are in last place or next to last in their leagues. Their second half records are much worse than the first half. I completely agree that the system has produced well recently with Mookie, Xander, Eduardo and Blake Swihart. They are a great nucleus for the future. Both Johnson and Owens have potential but it is unlikely that either will be a top of the rotation starter. Manuel Margot has great speed but has not hit particularly well in the minors. I haven't seen much that would make him a top prospect. Devers, Moncado and Guerra are still at single A Greenville. They are very young and none of them seems to have much plate discipline. None of them are hitting over .300. Moncado seems to be a great base stealer but he is also an awful defender. He cannot seem to make the throw from second to first.
Part of the problem is that the big club is calling up a lot of the best players.

Reaction Score
Part of the problem is that the big club is calling up a lot of the best players.
Good point but that means that when they call someone up they don't have anyone waiting in the wings to take over. A year ago we thought that Garin Cecchini, Deven Marrero, Bryce Brentz and Sean Coyle would tearing up the league but they have all taken a step backward and the Pawsox now have the second worse record in the International league.

Portland (2A) has the worse record in the Eastern League and virtually no prospects. I know everyone seems to think the Sox are loaded in the minors but I think the cupboard is pretty bare.

Reaction Score
Good point but that means that when they call someone up they don't have anyone waiting in the wings to take over. A year ago we thought that Garin Cecchini, Deven Marrero, Bryce Brentz and Sean Coyle would tearing up the league but they have all taken a step backward and the Pawsox now have the second worse record in the International league.

Portland (2A) has the worse record in the Eastern League and virtually no prospects. I know everyone seems to think the Sox are loaded in the minors but I think the cupboard is pretty bare.
It's not bare. We have 5 prospects in the top 50 3 of whom are 20 y/o or younger. If you're going off of minor league wins/losses, don't.

Reaction Score
It's not bare. We have 5 prospects in the top 50 3 of whom are 20 y/o or younger. If you're going off of minor league wins/losses, don't.

yeah you guys don't care if they know how to win as long as they're good! :eek:

Just piling up on ya fartguy, all in fun from the Brady stuff. Mostly kidding but not all ;)

Reaction Score
Out of all the prospects the Sox have brought up 2 (Bogaerts, Betts) are borderline all-stars and E-Rod has shown he has great stuff when he hits his spots (and doesn't tip his pitches). Look around the league and you will be hard pressed to find a team that has had multiple prize prospects unless they were consistanly picking in the top 5 for multiple years like the Cubs, Astros, Nats, etc.

This season is a heaping pile of goo but place the blame on the rotation headed by a group of #5 starters and and unbelievably inconsistent offense.

Just curious how Betts is a "borderline all star"? Pretty sure every major league roster has a "Betts" on it.

Reaction Score
Just curious how Betts is a "borderline all star"? Pretty sure every major league roster has a "Betts" on it.

Why you don't think .265 and .317 OB is borderline all star Deep? Obviously you are NOT a Red Sox fan, geez.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I think it's fair to say he projects as a borderline all star in the next couple of years. He's 22, has a slightly above average OPS, is going to steal 20 bases, and is solid in the outfield. With any improvement, he's a borderline all star.

Reaction Score
I think it's fair to say he projects as a borderline all star in the next couple of years. He's 22, has a slightly above average OPS, is going to steal 20 bases, and is solid in the outfield. With any improvement, he's a borderline all star.

As Deep said so are 2-3 players on every team then at least. Gregorious just made the list too then?

Reaction Score
I guess that when you consider they sent someone named Brock Holt to the AS game, anything is possible.

Reaction Score
I guess that when you consider they sent someone named Brock Holt to the AS game, anything is possible.

That was whacked huh? Bogaerts got screwed big time.

Reaction Score
The kid does look like he potentially has the package but for now it's inconsistent at best. Agree he could make himself into an All Star but to call him "borderline" right now is a stretch, for now at least.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
As Deep said so are 2-3 players on every team then at least. Gregorious just made the list too then?
Is that a bad thing? If Conforto plays well enough next year that I can reasonably say he'll be a borderline all star the following year, I'd be happy with his transition from a prospect to a young major leaguer.

I doubt there's a team that wouldn't want Mookie Betts on their team (given his age). Agree calling him a borderline all star right now is a stretch though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The kid does look like he potentially has the package but for now it's inconsistent at best. Agree he could make himself into an All Star but to call him "borderline" right now is a stretch, for now at least.

Maybe, but please name these other 2-3 guys on every team. That's nonsense. Very few teams have a young outfielder like Betts. No, he's not the next Mike Trout, but two years ago he was a 2B in single A Salem. He started last season in Portland and had to learn a new position. He's a pretty exciting player who is only 22.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but please name these other 2-3 guys on every team. That's nonsense. Very few teams have a young outfielder like Betts. No, he's not the next Mike Trout, but two years ago he was a 2B in single A Salem. He started last season in Portland and had to learn a new position. He's a pretty exciting player who is only 22.

I don't know why it has to be limited to outfielders. I think every team certainly has a player or two in their early 20's that put up .265 / 10 /40 type stats.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

We get it, you're having a successful season and we aren't. No need to be a dick about it.

Reaction Score
I don't know why it has to be limited to outfielders. I think every team certainly has a player or two in their early 20's that put up .265 / 10 /40 type stats.
Well if you care about the RBI stat, at least get it right. He has 52 RBI's, many of them from the top of the lineup.

Between his time in 2014/2015 has now played in 149 games as a 21/22 year old, so we're talking about nearly a full season at a very early age.

DINOSAUR STATS
274 avg
86 runs
15 HR
66 RBI
20 SB

How many kids as young as Betts are out there in the majors putting up close to a full MLB season of stats as that to start their career? (Not to mention the fact that for the past 2 years he has tried to learn a new position, going from infield to OF). Not many, certainly not 1 or 2 or 3 per team. That's laughable.

As for just 2015 and new-age stats, if you want to use WAR he's tied for 22nd in the AL for position players (with Brett Gardner and Jose Bautista).
Considering that the AL took something like 35 players, one could make the argument that perhaps he is indeed a borderline all-star. If you just measure his offense and take out his defense he tends to be ranked in the 40's offensively using OPS or wRC+

Just for kicks, Trout, Machado, Bogaerts and Betts are the only position players in the top 60 AL in WAR who are younger than 25. Trout (ranked 1st); Machado (4); Bogaerts (13); Betts (22). Success at this age is not common, as you can see. If you don't think Betts can continue to improve in future years (just as Bogaerts has this year), than I don't know what to tell you.

If the Sox put Betts on the market for some crazy reason, every GM in baseball would be rushing to their cellphones with offers.

Even if you don't believe Betts is a borderline all-star yet, which is fine, it's funny how the pitchforks came out with that comment.

Reaction Score
The Sox farm teams are almost all playing poorly.
So what?

When is the last time a GM promoted an entire team to the next level?

I mean sure, it's nice that your ML teams have a winning record, but the ultimate goal is to get as many kids coming up the pipeline as possible to have an impact at the major league level.

NO GM ever loses sleep at night because of the record of their AA team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom