Recruiting Your Own Roster for 5th Year Seniors | The Boneyard

Recruiting Your Own Roster for 5th Year Seniors

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Last season when the NCAA gave every athlete an additional year of eligibility due to the pandemic, while also liberalizing transfer rules, it was clear that WBB would be impacted significantly. There was a record number of players entered into the Transfer Portal, including a record number of seniors looking to take advantage of a 5th year of eligibility.

Many players went unclaimed, others transferred to new schools, and some signed up for one more season right where they were. The process is set to repeat itself again this season, next season, and the season after that, when the Covid year of eligibility finally expires.

As individual schools continue to wrestle with the ramifications of the additional year of eligibility for all players from the HS classes of 2017-2020, there appears to be an ever-growing trend among top WBB programs. While the top 10-20 players in each class will likely move on with their lives and head to the pros, there is an emerging pattern where solid, second-tier college players are announcing their intention to return for a 5th year. These players probably don’t have what it takes to make it in the pros long term, but they are plenty good enough to be key contributors one more year for their respective college teams.

So far, in-season press releases from Grace Berger at Indiana, Monika Czinzano of Iowa and Sedona Prince at Oregon have all announced their intention to return for a 5th year. With more announcements surely to come, it appears that many schools have figured out that the best way to strengthen their rosters is simply to recruit the players they already have on their roster for a 5th season.

As much as it’s a great opportunity for many athletes to take advantage of an extra year of eligibility while working on a graduate degree, there is an element of unfairness to this process. Every single HS player from the classes of 2021-24, have only 4 years of eligibility. Many will have to bide their time on the bench behind 5th year seniors, waiting impatiently for their turn.

One additional permutation of the 5th year of eligibility has yet to play out. Last season, Maya Dodson at Stanford chose not to play due to the pandemic, a perfectly reasonable decision. Subsequently she transferred to ND where she is the starting center. It is my understanding that Dodson has now petitioned the NCAA for a 5th year of eligibility, basically making the case that had she played last season she would have been eligible for a 5th year this season. I know many folks think that there are special rules for the team in South Bend. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
It is very interesting how the extra eligibility has changed the dynamics for so many teams and players, and to a certain extent every team is better because they have more than 4 years of talent to draw from.

One additional thing I could see happening more is 5th year seniors not going back to the school that recruited them, but trying something new elsewhere. Those second tier players, still very good, but perhaps not WNBA good, that want to get started on a graduate degree, new school, new team, new degree. If they are already graduating from their original school, making a clean break to a new one could be very interesting.

The easier transfer rules along with the extra eligibility has made the rent a player concept much more of a factor, for a one year solution to that outgoing transfer you didn't anticipate, or the hole in the roster from that recruit you missed out on. On balance I think this could play to Uconn's advantage. Many players might want to experience a year in the Uconn program, and to the extent we were trying to fill a specific role or need, if you were that type of player, playing time would be very likely.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is very interesting how the extra eligibility has changed the dynamics for so many teams and players, and to a certain extent every team is better because they have more than 4 years of talent to draw from.

One additional thing I could see happening more is 5th year seniors not going back to the school that recruited them, but trying something new elsewhere. Those second tier players, still very good, but perhaps not WNBA good, that want to get started on a graduate degree, new school, new team, new degree. If they are already graduating from their original school, making a clean break to a new one could be very interesting.

The easier transfer rules along with the extra eligibility has made the rent a player concept much more of a factor, for a one year solution to that outgoing transfer you didn't anticipate, or the hole in the roster from that recruit you missed out on. On balance I think this could play to Uconn's advantage. Many players might want to experience a year in the Uconn program, and to the extent we were trying to fill a specific role or need, if you were that type of player, playing time would be very likely.
I noted that even before the end of the season, including conference tournaments, there are already 218 players listed in the transfer portal. One very interesting player listed is 6’1” senior Ashley Ducharme of Brown, Caroline’s older sister.

Ashley Ducharme is a good player, who can shoot it. Could there be a sisters reunion in Storrs? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

At what position next year would playing time be likely?

Reaction Score
Well, we can rule out guard; that's our strongest suit. Aliyah, given some consistency, could be a top- flight forward, but there is a spot off the bench at that position. Expect Patterson and/or Ice to vie for that space. The answer to your question is that playing time is most likely at the 5. Four UConn women were auditioning this season for the WNBA or some other professional gig next year (including Dorka?), and all of them will find paid employment IMO. Juhasz is the joker. While the other returning bigs don't seem ready for prime time yet, it is possible that someone will appear on the Husky radar in the future. If not, and Dorka moves on, we'll have a bit of a hole under the hoop.

Reaction Score
If Juhasz leaves, for me it would be a big, defensive banger inside to minimize the likely foul trouble that Edwards and the 2 freshmen might get into. Of course that's if there's one out there good enough to play at UConn.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2/3 backup behind Azzi and Caroline.
Agreed with Geno liking to play at least 3, sometimes 4, guards (especially against some of the smaller BE teams) losing Williams and Westbrook without bring in any guards, leaves UCONN a little short next year.

Basically have Bueckers, Muhl, Fudd, and Ducharme to fill 3 positions. While you would have Juhasz, Griffin, Edwards, Gabriel, DeBerry, Patterson and Brady to fill 2 positions.

Might have to use Griffin and/or Patterson in the 3 spot. Which, well, we'll have to see how that goes. Nether one has played a lot out beyond the arc. And one is coming back from back surgery and the other is a FR.

Reaction Score
Any team would need Guards. Look at what injuries did this season for us. Any team would need Post Players. You can never have enough of them either. I hope that Dorka comes back. Actually, I hope that Mama comes back as well.

Reaction Score
If Juhasz leaves, for me it would be a big, defensive banger inside to minimize the likely foul trouble that Edwards and the 2 freshmen might get into. Of course that's if there's one out there good enough to play at UConn.
So you are totally discounting Amari and Piath?

Reaction Score
Well, we can rule out guard; that's our strongest suit. Aliyah, given some consistency, could be a top- flight forward, but there is a spot off the bench at that position. Expect Patterson and/or Ice to vie for that space. The answer to your question is that playing time is most likely at the 5. Four UConn women were auditioning this season for the WNBA or some other professional gig next year (including Dorka?), and all of them will find paid employment IMO. Juhasz is the joker. While the other returning bigs don't seem ready for prime time yet, it is possible that someone will appear on the Husky radar in the future. If not, and Dorka moves on, we'll have a bit of a hole under the hoop.
Per numerous previous posts, point guard could be a spot. Nika has a history of hurting her ankle each year so having a backup to Paige may be a luxury but why not look for one, particular someone with strong defensive skills. No one on team next year that excels at defending quick, great shooting guards (Note: Griffin is a 3 or 4, not a point guard). Fudd could play this role but better to keep her as shooting guard.

Reaction Score
So you are totally discounting Amari and Piath?
More or less since neither is a defensive banger inside now and with their lack of progress in that area so far with hands-on coaching, I don't see either becoming one over the next 6-7 months away from that coaching.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
More or less since neither is a defensive banger inside now and with their lack of progress in that area so far with hands-on coaching, I don't see either becoming one over the next 6-7 months away from that coaching.
Thinking about Amari & Piath’s passivity on defense, I would basically tell them that when they get in the game, foul every opponent that comes anywhere near the paint. Even if they only last a few minutes before they foul out of the game, at least they would learn to be aggressive. Then you teach them to be aggressive without fouling.

Just a thought….

Reaction Score
Thinking about Amari & Piath’s passivity on defense, I would basically tell them that when they get in the game, foul every opponent that comes anywhere near the paint. Even if they only last a few minutes before they foul out of the game, at least they would learn to be aggressive. Then you teach them to be aggressive without fouling.

Just a thought….
The passivity is baffling to me. After being coached for one and two seasons respectively, and from watching ONO and Juhasz in practice and games, how can they watch a big come straight into the lane, turn and post them and just stand behind them and put their hands up? I won’t go on other than to say this is just one example of why I don’t see much change happening before fall. And people wonder why they don’t play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Just a thought….
I like it! haha

Reaction Score
I think Piath and Amari should develop over the summer. Piath underwent surgery last summer hindering her development for this year. Amari will have an entire UCONN season under her belt making her more hungry to develop over the summer!!!! Fingers crossed…with the new addition of Ice and Ayanna more motivation is a given!!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I noted that even before the end of the season, including conference tournaments, there are already 218 players listed in the transfer portal. One very interesting player listed is 6’1” senior Ashley Ducharme of Brown, Caroline’s older sister.

Ashley Ducharme is a good player, who can shoot it. Could there be a sisters reunion in Storrs? :rolleyes:

I believe the Ivy League ruled that the extra Covid-extension year would not apply in their conference. Ivy Leaguers who want an extra season to make up for the lost season (2020-21) need to look elsewhere. I like Abby Meyers of Princeton, the likely Ivy League POY.

Reaction Score
I believe the Ivy League ruled that the extra Covid-extension year would not apply in their conference. Ivy Leaguers who want an extra season to make up for the lost season (2020-21) need to look elsewhere. I like Abby Meyers of Princeton, the likely Ivy League POY.
"..I like Abby Meyers of Princeton, the likely Ivy League POY."
Princeton vs. Penn .. Friday night - 7pm
ESPNEWS Channel

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"..I like Abby Meyers of Princeton, the likely Ivy League POY."
Princeton vs. Penn .. Friday night - 7pm
ESPNEWS Channel
Meyers will earn her degree from Princeton’s prestigious School of Policy and International Affairs, which has been a long time breeding ground for US diplomats and foreign service personnel. Don’t be surprised if Meyers heads overseas to play ball and pursue her career, similar to Natalie Butler.

sun

Reaction Score
In 2020, the Ivy League did vote to deny the extra year of eligibility, but then partially reversed their policy in 2021.
But only for then current seniors who enrolled in grad school and only for the year 2021 - 2022, not in future years.

Reaction Score
The Ivy League [my daughter played for UPenn] does not give scholarships, so the extra year [or not] is somewhat moot, eh? I like Abby Meyers too!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In 2020, the Ivy League did vote to deny the extra year of eligibility, but then partially reversed their policy in 2021.
But only for then current seniors who enrolled in grad school and only for the year 2021 - 2022, not in future years.

Ok, so Abby can stay at Princeton.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Ok, so Abby can stay at Princeton.
No, I don't think that it what the policy says. It says that it only applies to athletes who were seniors in 2020-21 (Abby was a junior then, right), and only for the year of 2021-22, not any future years. So it wouldn't permit Abby to stay at Princeton and play WBB in 2022-23.

Reaction Score
Per numerous previous posts, point guard could be a spot. Nika has a history of hurting her ankle each year so having a backup to Paige may be a luxury but why not look for one, particular someone with strong defensive skills. No one on team next year that excels at defending quick, great shooting guards (Note: Griffin is a 3 or 4, not a point guard). Fudd could play this role but better to keep her as shooting guard.
That is not coming yet next year, but certainly the 2023 class in KK Arnold brings in just that kind of player for Paige and Nika's senior year.

Kat

Reaction Score
Playing that extra year, whether staying with your team or transferring, presents problems for both players and coaches. Bringing in an outsider for one year is not always an easy fit. Dorka working out so well is a case of a very good fit that was well thought out, in advance, by Geno and her. It definitely has to be seen as advantageous to both player and coach. And what about a player who wants to play another year at their school but that team's coach has different plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom