Recruiting watch | The Boneyard

Recruiting watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
A number of Uconn's targets were at the UT-Baylor game as reported by Dan Fleser of GoVols:

"Recruiting: According to Twitter chatter and other eyewitness accounts, several recruits were in the crowd. Included were Class of 2013 prospects Diamond DeShields, Kaela Davis, Taya Reimer, Kristina Nelson and Tyler Scaife. Davis is committed to Tennessee."

"Also on hand was Uju Ugoka, a 6-foot forward from Gulf Coast (Fla.) State College. She was a junior college All-American at Grayson County (Texas) College before transferring to Gulf Coast for this season. Tennessee hopes to sign one or two junior college prospects in the spring."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It would have been a good game to see. Can't blame them for going.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If I were the LVs, that's certainly the game I'd want my recruiting targets to attend.

Reaction Score
Well TN certainly needs players. They have 9, yes 9, players on roster for next year, including the 3 in-coming. 3 frosh, 3 soph, 2 jr (Simmons, Kamiko), and 1 sr (Spani).

A JUCO transfer also wouldn't surprise me.

It wouldnt surprise me if this is Pat's last season, since next year could be a mess.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I think it's great that UConn recruiting targets are watching Tennessee play. They get to see their potential future team mates play. In Diamond's case, she would be playing for her first two years with Massengale, Harrison and Burdick. She's already been on a USA team with Massengale and Burdick, along with a bunch of UConn players named KML, Stewart, Hartley, Dolson and Tuck (am I missing anyone?). And she says she wants to play with a good pg, like Hartley. Presumably she knows something about Moriah's game.

I like our chances with all these kids.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And until Pat leaves, Tennessee is going to have to deal with negative recruiting...and legitimate doubt on the part of recruits as to what the program would look like during the course of their playing careers.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
This is the third or fourth time Deshields has been on campus this year. I think she joins Davis and Russell in orange. I think we'll take another guard (Greenwell, Gray, or Scaife) and another post (Mavunga, Reimer, or Nelson) to round out an awesome class.

Ugoka is our second juco post target now along with 6'5 Wilka Mountout. I think we take one. Possibly we take two, but if Kamiko redshirts and we take 5 in 2013, we'll be maxed out in 2013.

I think Pat and co. will squash any rumors of her recruiting abilities after next year.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why will those kids want to go to TN when Pat is coaching less and less as was clear from the Baylor game where the majority is the coaching is done by the assistants and Pat just stands there and glares at the officilas.

Reaction Score
i wonder if they are all tennessee leans now...
I am wondering what is on the minds of these teenagers? If this is a correct list of kids in attendance
it will have been the 2nd time in about approx a month and 1/2 that Davis*,DD,Nelson,<all GA gals>Reimer, have been at the school and Scaife from AR has been on their list for sometime. I watched the game at home) worth watching. Davis ranked #2 by HG has been a commit for a cpl of years?
All it takes is any mention of recruits,especially that involve us and need inf.

Reaction Score
I am certainly nervous about Diamond. She has visited Tenn a couple times, but the again, it isn't that far from GA. I'm guessing if she was a Tenn lean, Geno would back off and focus on other recruits.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I am not surprised Reimer was there. She was behind me at the practices at the Final Four last year. As Griner went to leave she was one of many clamoring to get a picture or her autograph.

HGN

Reaction Score
A number of Uconn's targets were at the UT-Baylor game as reported by Dan Fleser of GoVols:

"Recruiting: According to Twitter chatter and other eyewitness accounts, several recruits were in the crowd. Included were Class of 2013 prospects Diamond DeShields, Kaela Davis, Taya Reimer, Kristina Nelson and Tyler Scaife. Davis is committed to Tennessee."

"Also on hand was Uju Ugoka, a 6-foot forward from Gulf Coast (Fla.) State College. She was a junior college All-American at Grayson County (Texas) College before transferring to Gulf Coast for this season. Tennessee hopes to sign one or two junior college prospects in the spring."
No need to worry.......Recruits are always taking visits , official and unofficial. And many end up going someplace else. Reimer for instance, has been to many campuses across the country but will sign with only one(1) eventually. Hopefully its with our beloved UConn. Same with Diamond , she's been seen on many campuses , both Official , and on Unofficial visits. She's been polishing her skills and smiles, but again i hope she decides to do her Shining in a Husky uniform.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This is the third or fourth time Deshields has been on campus this year. I think she joins Davis and Russell in orange. I think we'll take another guard (Greenwell, Gray, or Scaife) and another post (Mavunga, Reimer, or Nelson) to round out an awesome class.

Ugoka is our second juco post target now along with 6'5 Wilka Mountout. I think we take one. Possibly we take two, but if Kamiko redshirts and we take 5 in 2013, we'll be maxed out in 2013.

I think Pat and co. will squash any rumors of her recruiting abilities after next year.
You better hope so.

Next year, at this time, your starters are Spani, Massingale, Williams, Harrison and Burdick. Maybe Simmons cracks that starting lineup. Maybe Graves does as well. Maybe the big JC player.

It will be the first time in a long time that Tennessee won't be the overwhelming favorite in the SEC and probably out of the top ten to start the season. A good team, but not a great team.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I am certainly nervous about Diamond. She has visited Tenn a couple times, but the again, it isn't that far from GA. I'm guessing if she was a Tenn lean, Geno would back off and focus on other recruits.
Her mother ran track for the Vols, I believe. And yes, Norcross is not especially far from Knoxville. She is certainly going to give Tennessee a fair look, but she has spent significant time with UConn's current and future players and knows the value of coming up to Storrs. Glory Johnson reminds me a lot of DD actually. If I were DD that fact, along with GJ's not entirely satisfying career at Tennessee, would give me pause.

Reaction Score
How many here saw the TN-Baylor game?
I did! No way I was going to miss it! It was worth watching,admit I was rooting for Baylor:p There really is alot to discuss re the intensity,the different aspects of the game! Definitely worth discussion and observations.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Her mother ran track for the Vols, I believe. And yes, Norcross is not especially far from Knoxville. She is certainly going to give Tennessee a fair look, but she has spent significant time with UConn's current and future players and knows the value of coming up to Storrs. Glory Johnson reminds me a lot of DD actually. If I were DD that fact, along with GJ's not entirely satisfying career at Tennessee, would give me pause.
Diamond is also friends with current and future TN players. She seems like she is very popular and has friends on many different teams. I don't think that will be a major factor. She has made many visits to TN and I think there is a good chance she picks TN but I'm sure she is interested in many other schools as well including Uconn.

Reaction Score
I did. I thought it was a terrific contest - pretty well-played.

Tenn played waaaayyyy beter than I expected (given the VA implosion). Baylor played welll (Sims less awesome than I anticipated - Griner good but not un-beatable). I mean, I'm REALLY LIKING our chances this year.

How many here saw the TN-Baylor game?

Reaction Score
You better hope so.

Next year, at this time, your starters are Spani, Massingale, Williams, Harrison and Burdick. Maybe Simmons cracks that starting lineup. Maybe Graves does as well. Maybe the big JC player.

It will be the first time in a long time that Tennessee won't be the overwhelming favorite in the SEC and probably out of the top ten to start the season. A good team, but not a great team.

Kamiko starting? Ha. While I'd love to see it, I highly doubt it.
I bet it's Ariel (So), Spani (Sr), Burdick (So), Graves (Fr), Harrison (So). Or Simmons (Jr).
w/ Kamiko (Jr), Carter (Fr), Jones (Fr) on bench.

A decent starting 5, but not much on the bench.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Kamiko starting? Ha. While I'd love to see it, I highly doubt it.
I bet it's Ariel (So), Spani (Sr), Burdick (So), Graves (Fr), Harrison (So). Or Simmons (Jr).
w/ Kamiko (Jr), Carter (Fr), Jones (Fr) on bench.

A decent starting 5, but not much on the bench.
Maybe, maybe not. But in any event, it's a good, but not great team.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If I were DD, I would look at how the frosh are treated at each program. At UConn, KML has been anointed as the savior by the fans and media (some, not all, obviously) but Geno has tried his best to keep expectations reasonable and doesn't even start her, much less put pressure on her to be the team's top performer.

At UT, Massengale was already anointed as the new starting PG before she set foot on campus. That's a lot of pressure. I think she is talented, but so far her numbers haven't backed up Pat's "Next Big Thing" label. If she were allowed to sit on the bench the first three or four minutes, like KML, see the pace of the game and where she can assert herself, she might be better.

Last season, Bria and Stef were needed to play big chunks of minutes and contribute a lot, but that has been followed up this year by starting positions and Geno's earned respect. He does nothing but praise Stef, and although he gets on Bria it is obviously coming from a place of admiration for her skills.

Simmons, on the other hand, was anointed last year as the savior and this year doesn't get nearly the minutes she did last year, and isn't in at crunch time of big games. A very confused sophomore if there ever was one. Pat rushed to bring her along, played her out of position and is now letting her watch Massengale from the bench.

To me, it's a no-brainer for Diamond. Promising kids playing times and starting roles? I would be verrrrrrry suspicious.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Pat will mine the JUCO waters. they were particularly successful with Bobbitt, but i've not seen that many JUCO posts really make an impact after 2 years at a junior college. we all remember Rashidat Sadiq? she lasted one year and then transferred, and she was one of the more talented 6'2" players ever to come out of the JUCO ranks. after she left UCONN, i'm not even sure where she went.

still, she needs bodies in the post. if harrison, burdick, jones, graves and spani can't do it, i can see where they'd want additional help from a JUCO or 2...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tenn was fortunate when it landed Bobbitt and Auguste. A&M struck gold with Danielle Adams. Maybe Tenn will get lucky again.

Reaction Score
She was an All American at TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul