Recruiting Under Diaco By The Numbers | The Boneyard

Recruiting Under Diaco By The Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Procrastination takes the brain to funny places. I decided to browse through ESPN and TOS and see what I could come up with. I'm posting this without commentary, others can make of it what they will. Hopefully it can serve as an easily accessible aid during the countless conversations concerning recruitment we are bound to have throughout the offseason.

A couple of notes:
  • Players are listed as the position they committed under/moved to upon arrival if applicable.
  • For 2014, I only listed the 8 commits that came on board after Diaco was hired.
  • All recruits who made it far enough to be listed on the official roster were considered. Hence, Jay Rose is here but Ben Hartwick isn't.
  • Army isn't technically in the G5, but I figured they weren't worth their own category considering there are only 3 other FBS independents. Besides, given their performance this year, they're worthy of being considered alongside a good number of G5 teams. Also, I'm pretty sure that UMass offered Keyion Dixion while they were still part of the MAC.
----
2014:
RB Ron Johnson: 2 P5 offers (Georgia Tech, Louisville - Louisville decommit)
LB Vontae Diggs: 2 G5 offers (Ball State, Toledo)
OL Ryan Crozier: 1 G5 offer (Houston)
WR —> S Anthony Watkins: UConn offer
OL Steve Hashemi: UConn offer
DE Sheridan Lawley: UConn offer
DE James Atkins: UConn offer
OL Daniel Oak: UConn offer
Total: 1/8 P5 offer, 2/8 G5 offer, 5/8 UConn offer

2015:
DT David Ryslik: 2 P5 offers (Duke, Syracuse) *transferred to UPenn
WR Frank Battle: 1 P5 offer (Syracuse) *left program
WR Hergy Myala: 1 P5 offer (Rutgers)
DB Aaron Garland: 4 G5 offers (Buffalo, Central Michigan, Toledo, Western Michigan)
DT Kevin Murphy: 3 G5 offers (Army, Cincinnati, Middle Tennessee State)
WR —> LB Nazir Williams: 2 G5 offers (Buffalo, Temple)
QB —> TE Tyler Davis: 1 G5 offer (Old Dominion)
WR —> S Marshé Terry: UConn offer (FCS offer - Fordham)
TE Chris Lee: UConn offer
LB Philippe Okounam: UConn offer
DE/LB Connor Freeborn: UConn offer
CB John Robinson IV: UConn offer
DE/LB William Richardson: UConn offer
ATH —> WR Aaron McLean: UConn offer (FCS offer - Bryant)
DT Felton Blackwell: UConn offer (FCS offers - Central Connecticut State, Monmouth, Morgan State) *expelled from university
TE —> OL Ian Campbell: UConn offer
OT Matt Peart: UConn offer
WR Tyraiq Beals: UConn offer
TE Zordan Holman: UConn offer (FCS offer - Maine)
K Michael Tarbutt: UConn offer
OT Bryan Cespedes: UConn offer
DE —> TE —> DE Dallas Parker: UConn offer
Total: 3/21 P5 offer, 4/21 G5 offer, 14/21 UConn offer

2016:
QB —> TE Jay Rose: 7 P5 offers (Boston College, Maryland, North Carolina State, Syracuse, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Wisconsin) *left program, transferring to Central Connecticut State?
OL Cam DeGeorge: 2 P5 offers (North Carolina State, Syracuse - Syracuse decommit)
ATH —> WR Quayvon Skanes: 2 P5 offers (Illinois, Northwestern)
LB Ryan Gilmartin: 1 P5 offer (Wake Forest)
DL Noel Brouse: 1 P5 offer (Syracuse - Syracuse decommit —> Villanova decommit)
ATH —> LB A.J. Garson: 1 P5 offer (Oregon State) 2 G5 (Cincinnati and Bowling Green)
ATH —> S Eddie Hahn: 1 P5 offer (North Carolina State) 2 G5 offers (Buffalo, Temple)
RB Nate Hopkins: 1 P5 offer (Illinois)
ATH —> WR Keyion Dixon: 2 G5 offers (Massachusetts, Temple)
CB Tahj Herring-Wilson: 2 P5 (Vanderbilt, UVA) 1 G5 (Temple)
OL Nino Leone: UConn offer
RB Ja’Kevious Vickers: UConn offer
ATH —> QB Donovan Williams: UConn offer (FCS offers - Hofstra, James Madison - James Madison decommit)
WR —> CB Tyler Coyle: : 2 G5 offers (Massachusetts, Temple) (FCS offers URI, Stony Brook)
LS Nick Zecchino: UConn offer
P Brett Graham: UConn offer
Total: 10/16 P5 offer, 6/16 G5 offer, 5/16 UConn offer

2017:
CB Ian Swenson: 2 P5 offers (Iowa State, Louisville)
QB Jordan McAfee: 1 P5 offer (Boston College)
S Omar Fortt: 2 G5 offers (Army, Navy)
OT James Tunstall: 2 G5 offers (Bowling Green, Toledo)
TE Ryan Fitton: 2 G5 offers (Army, Buffalo)
DE/LB Dallas Hobbs: 2 G5 offers (Army, Toledo)
DL Max Cummins: 1 G5 offer (Army)
CB Bebe Olaniyan: UConn offer
DE/LB Jake Byczko: UConn offer (FCS offers - New Hampshire, Rhode Island)
LB Ryan Dickens: UConn offer
OT Ryan Van Demark: UConn offer (FCS offers - Fordham, Liberty, New Hampshire, Richmond, Villanova)
Total: 2/11 P5 offer, 5/11 G5 offer, 4/11 UConn offer

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I thought Beals had a Rutgers offer. If you are tracking the FCS offers, Holman had Maine.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Taj Herring and Tyler Coyle both had UMass and Temple offers.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I thought Beals had a Rutgers offer. If you are tracking the FCS offers, Holman had Maine.
Pretty sure Taj Herring and Tyler Coyle both had UMass and Temple offers.

You both may be right. Unfortunately for me, the post-editing time limit has passed.

Reaction Score
The real barometer is how these kids play. Diaco recruits have largely barely seen the field as he goes into year 4. Not good, if things were as bad as he claimed. When they have seen the field, they certainly haven't produced at an all league level.

Reaction Score
2014 -- Total: 1/8 P5 offer, 2/8 P5 offer, 5/8 UConn offer

Do you mean 2/8 G5 offer?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The real barometer is how these kids play. Diaco recruits have largely barely seen the field as he goes into year 4. Not good, if things were as bad as he claimed. When they have seen the field, they certainly haven't produced at an all league level.

That is actually the biggest indictment. When you are getting blown out every week and the underclassmen haven't forced themselves onto the field....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I get your point but isn't that a bit of a high barometer?

That would be a unrealistic standard. How many do you project as league average players next season?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Fixed.

Thanks so much. If you could also edit in the event that additional Beals/Coyle/Dixon offers get confirmed, that would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction Score
I get your point but isn't that a bit of a high barometer?
I meant to say what Whaler said. League average. Diaco claims he inherited a mess. Our 2 best offensive players, Thomas and Newsome P recruits. On defense Fatukasi, Obi, CARE zola, Myers P recruits.

Must have been a he'll of mess when the players you recruit can't push those guys off the field.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I fibbed about not providing commentary. A couple main takeaways:
  • In the three calendar years since Diaco's hiring, 56 recruits have entered their first Fall camp on scholarship. Roughly 30 of those 56 held no other FBS offers besides UConn. I know I've been arguing against this point a bit in the dialogue that got moved from the Tunstall thread, but that says a lot.
  • Through my subjective lens, the only players with no FBS offers besides UConn who have shown signed of being AAC level players are Peart (being generous here) and Zecchino. That's 2 out of 23 currently on the roster.
It's clear that for all its numerous limitations, our staff has the capability to bring in G5 and even P5 level talent. What should bother all of us, no matter what tone we use when posting about the recruiting issue, is the massive over-reliance on bringing aboard prospects with no other FBS offers to fill in the gaps. 2016 showed a step in the right direction in that area, and I still maintain that the 2017 class is not quite as disappointing as 2015's (which I feel like people forgot about due to how successful the season was relative to '14). But Diaco and co. have trended backwards. We all better hope for some nice late-breaking surprises.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
His first year he gets a pass as he came in late and the class was small because of that and getting his staff together.

Coyle and Dixon had a Temple and UMass offer on 247
Garson had Cinci and Bowling Green as well
Herring had Vandy, Virginia, and Temple

Just a quick look

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Garson had Cinci and Bowling Green as well

For the players with at least one P5 offer, I already placed them into that category - their G5 offers weren't relevant.

Reaction Score
You can't use ESPN Recruiting for info -- they are fed by Scout data and Scout is behind and never updated for UConn. Use Rivals or 247. There are a bunch missing offers.

Your exercise but I'm not sure how G5 offers aren't relevant when we are G5 all day. FCS less so.

Reaction Score
I'm actually really, really high on Peart. He made a lot of mistakes but has the best feet and quickness of any linemen we have. I think before it's all said and done, he will be pro prospect.

Even still that is one player. Diggs is another contributor. After that, so far it's slim pickings. I'm not about to count a long snapper as anything other than a long snapper. Not every program even uses a scholarship on them.

Reaction Score
I'm actually really, really high on Peart. He made a lot of mistakes but has the best feet and quickness of any linemen we have. I think before it's all said and done, he will be pro prospect.

Even still that is one player. Diggs is another contributor. After that, so far it's slim pickings. I'm not about to count a long snapper as anything other than a long snapper. Not every program even uses a scholarship on them.

Crozier was was above middle of the road coming back from injury. He didn't hurt us as Center in comparison to others on the line.

Reaction Score
Crozier was was above middle of the road coming back from injury. He didn't hurt us as Center in comparison to others on the line.
Eh, I thought he struggled too. The inside games I felt struggled all year, even more so than last year which was hard to comprehend with everyone returning plus Crozier who was real solid as a true freshman.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Your exercise but I'm not sure how G5 offers aren't relevant when we are G5 all day. FCS less so.

My purpose in doing this was sorting players into three groups: players whose best offers were P5 level, players whose best offers were G5 level, and players with only UConn on the FBS level. If a player is already in the "has P5 offers" group, I didn't find it relevant to list offers from lower tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom