Recruiting trips this week by the coaches? | The Boneyard

Recruiting trips this week by the coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
With no games till Dec. 19 I wonder if our staff might be traversing the USA to see our signed 2017 players....our 2018 verbal...and any other players of interest.

Hmm...I wonder if any of the coaches didn't come back to Storrs with the team....and went straight to Texas to watch Collier The Younger...Lexi Gordon....maybe stopped by to see Chrystin Williams the elite Arkansas guard from 2018. Any sophs or frosh in the area who might catch our eye?

Back here: maybe go east on 84 to see elite inside player Aliyah 'Peaches' Boston at Worcester Academy...btw: she went for 32/14 in their first game. Head west on the Mass. Pike to see Olivia Owens near Albany...another 2018 big. Or head up Rte 5 to Enfield High to see junior big Mary Baskerville.
Enfield is playing on Friday in the HOF weekend January 13....against eastern Ma. Braintree.
Enfield merged with Fermi High and is now in the LL classification....hopefully Mary will run into some bigs there for solid challenges.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Actually UConn current and past will be represented by
UCONN - Marisa Moseley, Assistant Coach University of Washington - Jasmine Lister, Assistant Coach
  1. Tournament of Champions

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Actually UConn current and past will be represented by
UCONN - Marisa Moseley, Assistant Coach University of Washington - Jasmine Lister, Assistant Coach
  1. Tournament of Champions
Hmm... don't see how this is going to work for UCONN staff.
TOC is 18-22 December, UCONN plays games on 19 December tOSU at UCONN & 21 December @Nebraska.

HGN

Reaction Score
With no games till Dec. 19 I wonder if our staff might be traversing the USA to see our signed 2017 players....our 2018 verbal...and any other players of interest.

Hmm...I wonder if any of the coaches didn't come back to Storrs with the team....and went straight to Texas to watch Collier The Younger...Lexi Gordon....maybe stopped by to see Chrystin Williams the elite Arkansas guard from 2018. Any sophs or frosh in the area who might catch our eye?

Back here: maybe go east on 84 to see elite inside player Aliyah 'Peaches' Boston at Worcester Academy...btw: she went for 32/14 in their first game. Head west on the Mass. Pike to see Olivia Owens near Albany...another 2018 big. Or head up Rte 5 to Enfield High to see junior big Mary Baskerville.
Enfield is playing on Friday in the HOF weekend January 13....against eastern Ma. Braintree.
Enfield merged with Fermi High and is now in the LL classification....hopefully Mary will run into some bigs there for solid challenges.
Blake , I sincerely hope the coaches are on the scouting trails. Its a perfect time to get out and show their faces to the prospects while on such a streak. I am hoping they get to see Chrystin Williams and Aliyah Boston at a minimum.
And it wouldn't hurt to stop by and visit the 2017 commits either if time permits............Just o show them that they are still loved.

I don't know how much verbal contact is permitted , but just being in the gym during a game will cause enough commotion that the prospect will know or find out that a UCONN coach is in the house.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
TOC is 18-22 December, UCONN plays games on 19 December tOSU at UCONN & 21 December @Nebraska.
Lots of flying or making tough choices. I don't recall any assistant missing a UConn game.

Reaction Score

Man, I thought my secretary was good.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Yep, Geno's off to see this one before she changes her mind.

Czbg54pXUAMhaJh.jpg

Reaction Score

They are probably not going to spend much time on already committed players Like Gordon and C. Collier. They would maybe go to see Williams(#2 Hoophurlz in 2018) from Arkansas. Then they might see Nalyssa Smith(#5 Hoopgurlz 2018) from Texas, which by some reports UConn really likes. There are a couple prospects in VA also with Austin and Scott-Grayson. The thing is with the AAC schedule during the season brings UConn pretty close to many of the prospects. Assistants and coaches can easily take side trips during AAC season. Most HS seasons are not far in so might get a better picture of a player later in the season. I think 2018 Class will have 2 top 10 prospects and a third player who is a "project", role player.

Reaction Score
Disappointed there aren't more NY/NJ/CT teams participating but I know there are local tournaments around this time

Reaction Score
Gonna be strange seeing that Chris Dailey is also attending. And Sheila Roux is going to be busy. She's on the list as the HC of Columbia and an AC at UMass.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree that the primary focus is the uncommitted group. But UConn does a nice job of staying in touch with those who have verballed or signed. It (1) reinforces the feeling of family, (2) ensures that no one defects, and (3) helps to coach them up for their high school season and future UConn play.

Reaction Score

Lots of flying or making tough choices. I don't recall any assistant missing a UConn game.
A lot of the Phoenix TOC games are late afternoon and evening (MST) at area high schools. Roughly same time as our UConn games in EST, CST - no jets are fast enough to get MM and/or CD to be at both on our game days (M-19th, W-21st). My guess is if one or both do show up they will zoom out for the games the days after our games - 20th and 22nd.

Although I don't see any participating teams with UConn commits or major (known) targets, I might go out and see a few games, just to see if I can spot the coaches. Problem is there are multiple venues. Last time I did this was a couple years ago, to see KLS and Crystal Dangerfield, which was easy since Mater Dei played Blackmon in the "A" pool final. But this year not sure which teams our our coaches would be scouting. Help?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I agree that the primary focus is the uncommitted group. But UConn does a nice job of staying in touch with those who have verballed or signed. It (1) reinforces the feeling of family, (2) ensures that no one defects, and (3) helps to coach them up for their high school season and future UConn play.

I recall speaking with... I think it was an AAU guy when I did a piece on recruiting packets, and he was laughing about coaches showing up to see already committed recruits. It was, he thought, mostly to stroke egos - coaches weren't actually watching the games but were on their devices. Case in point - bunch of coaches in the stands staring at their phones - stray ball flies off the court and whacks into their unsuspecting heads.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I recall speaking with... I think it was an AAU guy when I did a piece on recruiting packets, and he was laughing about coaches showing up to see already committed recruits. It was, he thought, mostly to stroke egos - coaches weren't actually watching the games but were on their devices. Case in point - bunch of coaches in the stands staring at their phones - stray ball flies off the court and whacks into their unsuspecting heads.
Definitely some of that, but I remember Dangerfield getting a note after one of her games last year, when she walked off after being substituted saying in effect 'I didn't like seeing that!' and saying that she took it to heart and would try to be a better teammate and not let it happen again. And Collier after her commitment saying she talked to Uconn coaches before games and set herself goals, and then had follow-up conversations about how she had done regarding those goals - I doubt that has changed.
Most of the coaches that get noticed are likely only recruiting one or at most two players in any game, and in most cases the game is over pretty quickly and the recruit they are watching is back on the bench for stretches - the rest of a HS game is probably not all that interesting to them!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I've read somewhere...maybe from Geno Himself...that it is sometimes better to watch a player in practice in that you can learn a ton about the kid from the way she handles herself in that forum.
Especially true if a regular game is a walk-over type and the kid doesn't play much or against players who don't challenge her.

BTW: here's hoping...down the road:

We know that the HOF has a fabulous weekend of high school hoops every MLK weekend. The boys' event is the best in the land....zero doubt of that. The girls' night...always on Friday... occasionally gets an elite team or player from across the land....often with a UConn connection in hopes of getting our fans to attend. That list has been noteworthy...Tina/Lorin/Katie/Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis/EDD/Breanna...I may have missed somebody. The director of the HOF has given UConn fans multiple opportunities to get sneak previews of incoming stars.

Here's hoping that Barber Hill with Charli make an appearance in January of 2018. Maybe against one of the bigs mentioned above. Hmm...how about an appearance by Peaches Boston in 2018 and 2019? Let's keep an eye on the seats behind the UConn bench this year to see if Aliyah stops by.
Props to Greg Procino the Director of the HOF for going the extra mile to spark the attendance.

BTW: We have read that Megan Walker plans to attend the Ohio State game next Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom