Recruiting: top players Ollie was close on | The Boneyard

Recruiting: top players Ollie was close on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's interesting to look at how things pan out for the players UConn comes very close to getting (by close I mean finishing 2nd or 3rd). It gives us a sense of the quality of player that Ollie is focusing on. As opposed to going after some other player who is highly ranked.

For instance...

Diamond Stone (rumored to lead, fell behind Wisconsin and Maryland)
Derrick Jones (finished second, but bottom fell out for him at UNLV)
Prince Ali (Decommit, went to UCLA)
Tyler Dorsey (Considered UConn after Zona decommit, went Oregon)
Tevin Mack (chose VCU over UConn, ended up at Texas with Shaka)
Chris Clarke (chose VT over UConn and maybe one other)
Jesse Govan (chose G'twon over UConn)

I didn't get a good look at what Clarke was doing down at VT but it seems to me that the kids Ollie was recruiting all seemed to have a good college future with the exception of Derrick Jones of course.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine this years team with a presence like Stone in the front court?

Reaction Score
It's interesting to look at how things pan out for the players UConn comes very close to getting (by close I mean finishing 2nd or 3rd). It gives us a sense of the quality of player that Ollie is focusing on. As opposed to going after some other player who is highly ranked.

For instance...

Diamond Stone (rumored to lead, fell behind Wisconsin and Maryland)
Derrick Jones (finished second, but bottom fell out for him at UNLV)
Prince Ali (Decommit, went to UCLA)
Tyler Dorsey (Considered UConn after Zona decommit, went Oregon)
Tevin Mack (chose VCU over UConn, ended up at Texas with Shaka)
Chris Clarke (chose VT over UConn and maybe one other)
Jesse Govan (chose G'twon over UConn)

I didn't get a good look at what Clarke was doing down at VT but it seems to me that the kids Ollie was recruiting all seemed to have a good college future with the exception of Derrick Jones of course.

And how many of those guys are dancing in the tourney?

Prince / Jones / Mack and Clarke might have made the rotation, but we'll never know now will we

Reaction Score
Didn't write any of that to complain. Rather, I was looking at whether Ollie scouts well. When you look at the top 100 every year, a lot of the players don't pan out.

Reaction Score
I don't remember how high we were on his list, but Isaiah Briscoe is one player that might have really been able to help this team.

I know it's very bad timing to ask this question, but anyhow, who might've helped this team more, Gibbs for Briscoe?

I must admit, I've watched the least amount of non UConn hoops this season than I've ever have in the past, and haven't really seen Briscoe play this year. But I think the team needed another guard who could create for himself and teammates, something that Gibbs truggles with. Gibbs hasn't been the consistent 3 point shooter we had hoped he'd be, but maybe he'll come up huge for us over the next few weeks.

Although both freshman, having either or both Adams and Briscoe on the floor through out the game would have been nice to see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just looking at the numbers, I would take Gibbs over Briscoe.

Assist numbers aren't that much different: 99 for Briscoe and 79 for Gibbs.
FT shooting: Gibbs is hitting 84% (96/114) and Briscoe is hitting 44% (51/117).
3P shooting: Gibbs is hitting 39% (70/180) and Briscoe is hitting 13% (5/37).
2P shooting: Gibbs is hitting 40% (45/111) and Briscoe is hitting 43% (115/245).

As frustrating as Gibbs may have been at times, UConn loses a few more games and is likely NIT bound with Briscoe.

Reaction Score
What happened to Jones at UNLV? Thought that kid would have been perfect for us.

Reaction Score
What happened to Jones at UNLV? Thought that kid would have been perfect for us.
The NCAA cleared UNLV freshman forward Derrick Jones Jr. today to practice and receive his scholarship money, but not to play.

UNLV sent a release stating it intends to appeal for full clearance.

Jones’ ACT score was vacated last week by the American College Test because of concerns with the Baltimore exam site, and the NCAA ruled him ineligible.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...rrick-jones-jr-cleared-ncaa-practice-not-play

Reaction Score
Just looking at the numbers, I would take Gibbs over Briscoe.

Assist numbers aren't that much different: 99 for Briscoe and 79 for Gibbs.
FT shooting: Gibbs is hitting 84% (96/114) and Briscoe is hitting 44% (51/117).
3P shooting: Gibbs is hitting 39% (70/180) and Briscoe is hitting 13% (5/37).
2P shooting: Gibbs is hitting 40% (45/111) and Briscoe is hitting 43% (115/245).

As frustrating as Gibbs may have been at times, UConn loses a few more games and is likely NIT bound with Briscoe.
Thanks for the #s tcf. Like I said, I didn't see him play much if at all this season. Maybe he's come on as of late, but shooting 44% from the line and 13% from 3 is piss-poor and would be a liability.

That being the case, as you noted how frustrating Gibbs can be sometimes, he does seem to bring more to the table than Briscoe.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the #s tcf. Like I said, I didn't see him play much if at all this season. Maybe he's come on as of late, but shooting 44% from the line and 13% from 3 is piss-poor and would be a liability.

That being the case, as you noted how frustrating Gibbs can be sometimes, he does seem to bring more to the table than Briscoe.
The guard that it hurt to miss out on is Perkins, not Briscoe. 10 ppg/4apt 2-to-1 a/to ratio, 47/40/70 shooting splits. Would've loved for him to be a Husky.

Spilt milk, though. We have enough right here, right now.

C

Chief00

Gibbs is a good foul shooter and a good spot up shooter. I think we have a consensus he is not a true PG. He was a poor defender coming in but has improved his effort in that area. But, he can get overpowered by big guards or not block their view and against elite speed guys he struggles to stay in front of his man.
Gibbs is not a push guy - but he can effectively bring the ball up for half court offense. He has to then turn the ball over to Jalen for penetration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I don't remember how high we were on his list, but Isaiah Briscoe is one player that might have really been able to help this team.

I know it's very bad timing to ask this question, but anyhow, who might've helped this team more, Gibbs for Briscoe?

I must admit, I've watched the least amount of non UConn hoops this season than I've ever have in the past, and haven't really seen Briscoe play this year. But I think the team needed another guard who could create for himself and teammates, something that Gibbs truggles with. Gibbs hasn't been the consistent 3 point shooter we had hoped he'd be, but maybe he'll come up huge for us over the next few weeks.

Although both freshman, having either or both Adams and Briscoe on the floor through out the game would have been nice to see.

Have you seen Dorsey play?

He is wise beyond his years.

I'd take Dorsey over most any of the guards other than Jalen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom