Recruiting Rankings are Not Destiny | The Boneyard

Recruiting Rankings are Not Destiny

Reaction Score
Really interesting perspective on an interesting topic. Thanks for posting.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is a serious flaw in the analysis in that the NCAA rankings don't take into account competition or, in the case of UConn and some other top teams, the number of minutes top players are on the court in a blowout win.

So for instance, if you have a good 3-pt shooter playing for a mediocre team in the A-10, she may well have better stats than a great 3-pt shooter in the SEC for say SC.

Reaction Score
There is a serious flaw in the analysis in that the NCAA rankings don't take into account competition or, in the case of UConn and some other top teams, the number of minutes top players are on the court in a blowout win.

So for instance, if you have a good 3-pt shooter playing for a mediocre team in the A-10, she may well have better stats than a great 3-pt shooter in the SEC for say SC.

I enjoyed the article. Because I'm not a fan of ratings/rankings; articles like this get my attention.
Thinking inwardly I saw the flaws in the article as it applies to Uconn kids.
KLS playing with Stew and Morgan didn't take threes as she may have if she played for Houston, Kia too.
I'm not sure percentages would work to show proper ranking/rating. Geno's way of playing usually holds down the records of everyone--even Stewie or DT for his demand (foolishly as it now appears) for team play.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ratings are often, as the author concedes, pretty accurate - though at the extreme. #1es tend to be really good. Still, I look at Plum as an example of a person considerably over ranked and wonder how her evaluation became so one dimensional. She was last years Kelly Mazzante, but over a decade ago Mazzante was correctly picked in the second round and never tore it up in the WNBA.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Ratings are often, as the author concedes, pretty accurate - though at the extreme. #1es tend to be really good. Still, I look at Plum as an example of a person considerably over ranked and wonder how her evaluation became so one dimensional. She was last years Kelly Mazzante, but over a decade ago Mazzante was correctly picked in the second round and never tore it up in the WNBA.
How could Plum be over ranked at number 31. She was the thirty first ranked high school player. Just asking. The high school rankings do not project how good a player will be in college just as a really great college career does not mean a player will even make it in the WNBA.

Reaction Score

Oldude---I thought for sure you'd take me to task for my comment about Geno's demands (as foolish as they now appear) --I'm not thrilled by some of Geno's demands--but even I could not think them foolish--
FYI---I hopped on my mighty steed and began mowing my field of grass--and to my amazement there were more than 20 --count them NAKED LADIES all standing there straight as arrows all with pink hats. And people discount country living!! It has it's perks.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How could Plum be over ranked at number 31. She was the thirty first ranked high school player. Just asking. The high school rankings do not project how good a player will be in college just as a really great college career does not mean a player will even make it in the WNBA.

I was talking her "ranking" coming out of college, not HS.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This seems like a headline from DUH magazine. Just as in mutual funds, past performance doesn't guarantee future success. Plus as someone has pointed out on the BY recently, rankings are subjective and different rankers come up with different rankings .

I did like the piece. I like his point that fit is most important. Those who discount Geno's success by saying he gets all the best recruits every year are wrong by the numbers, but not necessarily wrong about the fit. UConn is consistently successful recruiting the right players, but those are often not the highest rated by some of the rankers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom