Recruiting Questions | The Boneyard

Recruiting Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seeing there seems to be little to discuss on the Boneyard for the moment so Educate me and others.

I've followed UConn recruiting targets for over 20 years watching kids we are associated with and opining on what I see, but I don't understand anything about how the process actually works and I've never seen any coach or player actually interviewed about details of the process.

When a kid is "offered", is that in writing? Is it a verbal offer followed up in writing? Does a kid like Hamidou have a stack of actual written offers? Is there a standard NCAA 'offer' form or does each school have a different ...?

Obviously there are always more offers than scholarship openings and there are frequently a pecking order of preferred targets, and, obviously, a team wouldn't take 5 centers if they have 1 scholarship open at center and have offered 5 players at that position. How are these contingency situations addressed within an 'offer'?

Example: Ollie offers 4 players at point guard. He believes he has a great shot at his top rated prospect who may not sign in Nov., a quality player but lower coveted prospect is ready to commit now. Ollie needs to make a judgment, but does that mean the 'offer' held by the lesser player is really just an contingent indication of interest?

Doesn't seem likely that Ricky Moore tells a prospect that "we like your game and want you at UConn but want to see if we can get DJ Harvey first before we want a commitment from you". On the other hand, that has to be addressed somehow.

I assume the contingencies regarding academic qualifications, staying out of trouble, etc are a given, I'm more curious about managing the basketball aspects.

Who is the wizard of recruiting that can help me out?

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that at first it's verbal, then not long after the kid gets a letter from the university. Then I think it becomes a first commit first serve basis in that if there are four open scholarships and the staff give out say 15 offers, the first four to commit get the scholarships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS
Top Bottom