Recruiting Impact | The Boneyard

Recruiting Impact

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
HCRE comes home, builds an awesome staff. Obviously need to to recruit East Coast hot beds. Can they instill a pride in CT and build a fence around the border and convince CT's top players to stay home? Is there a concern in Chestnut Hill? Should be an exciting next few weeks of recruiting, and expect a big uptick for 2018.

Reaction Score
Why?

I know we all want the next great RB from Ansonia and some of the Cheshire Academy harvest and maybe just one Pagliaro from Derby ... but this is not going to matter much at the margins. WE NEED ... a handful of Florida kids per year, better recruiting in Western PA, DMV and Jersey, good focus on Prep schools and luck. Getting a kid or two from upstate NY or Quebec is a step function away from getting the right kids from Connecticut. Honestly. I want the Ben Masons. But I am thrilled with the Donald Brown stories.

There is a way for UConn to succeed. Both in the AAC conference and in G5 and more illustrious hopes. But, I think it is largely getting far better at what we started 15 years ago. More really good kids drawn to an EXCELLENT Academic product.

Reaction Score
We need the Scott Lutrus and Marcus Easleys of CT. Tough kids with a chip on their shoulder who want to prove a point. There are a lot of them out there from the 203 and 860 and Randy will find them. If we land 3-5 of these guys every class we'll be good to go

Reaction Score
We need the Scott Lutrus and Marcus Easleys of CT. Tough kids with a chip on their shoulder who want to prove a point. There are a lot of them out there from the 203 and 860 and Randy will find them. If we land 3-5 of these guys every class we'll be good to go
So 15 to 25 players on the roster come from CT.....not a good recipe. Not a slight on CT players however, we need to excel at recruiting in places like NJ, PA NY for size and VA NC SC GA FL for speed

Reaction Score
So 15 to 25 players on the roster come from CT.....not a good recipe. Not a slight on CT players however, we need to excel at recruiting in places like NJ, PA NY for size and VA NC SC GA FL for speed
Don't forget TX. That state must be in the mix as well going forward. Probably want to add Oklahoma too considering Tulsa is on our conference

Reaction Score
Don't forget TX. That state must be in the mix as well going forward. Probably want to add Oklahoma too considering Tulsa is on our conference

I understand Texas is a hotbed for players but I really believe Resources should be focused on areas mentioned earlier in this post. Florida, Jersey, Pennsylvania, DMV.

Reaction Score
One thing that is heartening about Crockett defensive scheme is that Nova's 8 in total starting linebackers and defensive backs were from NJ and FL with one additional one each from PA and CT. These are the types of kids we have had success recruiting in the past. The 5 backs were all 5'10 - 6'1.

Reaction Score
Why?

I know we all want the next great RB from Ansonia and some of the Cheshire Academy harvest and maybe just one Pagliaro from Derby ... but this is not going to matter much at the margins. WE NEED ... a handful of Florida kids per year, better recruiting in Western PA, DMV and Jersey, good focus on Prep schools and luck. Getting a kid or two from upstate NY or Quebec is a step function away from getting the right kids from Connecticut. Honestly. I want the Ben Masons. But I am thrilled with the Donald Brown stories.

There is a way for UConn to succeed. Both in the AAC conference and in G5 and more illustrious hopes. But, I think it is largely getting far better at what we started 15 years ago. More really good kids drawn to an EXCELLENT Academic product.
I'll take the Ansonia kid too. Dobbs is going to be a D1 player.

Reaction Score

Closer to 15, but yes. There are plenty of talented kids that come out of CT. Some years there are more than others. Some years we should probably only take one or two. Other years if we can get five, we get five. If we signed all of the top talent in CT for this class we would have one of the best classes in the AAC - and that's not counting the kids that get overlooked because they don't go to camps in front of the recruiting sites.

Reaction Score
I'll take the Ansonia kid too. Dobbs is going to be a D1 player.
He has a chance. Hopefully, he learned from his brother's misfortunes, in relation to academics. Their was no question, talent-wise, that Montrell was a D1 player and would have been a really good one. He reminded me a lot of LaSean McCoy. Montrell is still training and playing semi-pro/Arena ball in hopes of fulfilling his dream. He's taken Markell under his wing. He lifts with him, he runs with him, he trains with him. Markell is taller and faster, he will get bigger and stronger. Montrell had "IT", just not in the classroom. Hopefully, Markell gets all if "IT".

IMO, of all the great Ansonia RBs in recent years, Montrell was the best. He put a young, inexperienced Ansonia team on his back his senior year and taught them how to win. They came up short against St Joes in the state final, but those returning players went on to win three straight titles behind a veteran OLine and Arkeel Newsome.

Reaction Score
Closer to 15, but yes. There are plenty of talented kids that come out of CT. Some years there are more than others. Some years we should probably only take one or two. Other years if we can get five, we get five. If we signed all of the top talent in CT for this class we would have one of the best classes in the AAC - and that's not counting the kids that get overlooked because they don't go to camps in front of the recruiting sites.
To piggyback on what JMick and others have said....no one is saying UConn needs to recruit every CT kid, but there are legit D1 players in this state. Unfortunately, they continue to look elsewhere and have been successful. It takes one of those kids to change the fate of the program. Jim Calhoun did it with Chris Smith. Geno Auriemma did it with Nykesha Sales. Randy Edsall had Dan O. Some guys didn't want Arkeel, but condiering how poorly coached this team has been, he's going to finishes his career as a pretty productive player. Look alumni/former players are going to support the team, but to fill the Rent, you have to have that home grown talent that the average joe will spend the money to see. We don't need to get every CT kid, but there are some really good ones out there and we need to be the first ones ringing the phone or knocking on the door.

I have no doubt the new regime will recruit CT better with Crocker (who has a great relationship with Coach Dykeman at Cheshire Academy) and Wholley coming home. With Edsall and Laslee expanding our recruiting further south and west, we should see an uptick in the talent we recruit in-state and out.

Of course, that won't be that difficult when the last regime recruited 15-17 hybrid TE/DE , 5 punters, and 4 long snappers. ;)

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
One thing that is heartening about Crockett defensive scheme is that Nova's 8 in total starting linebackers and defensive backs were from NJ and FL with one additional one each from PA and CT. These are the types of kids we have had success recruiting in the past. The 5 backs were all 5'10 - 6'1.

It makes sense that he can recruit Miami well...especially if he brings Tubbs with him ;)

Reaction Score
Giant fail so far on recruiting.

Staff has had almost 48 hours and not a single new commit. Time to start earning those paychecks.
Was thinking the same thing. Edsall has been here for a week now and not one 5 star commit. Sad, very sad ;)

Reaction Score
He has a chance. Hopefully, he learned from his brother's misfortunes, in relation to academics. Their was no question, talent-wise, that Montrell was a D1 player and would have been a really good one. He reminded me a lot of LaSean McCoy. Montrell is still training and playing semi-pro/Arena ball in hopes of fulfilling his dream. He's taken Markell under his wing. He lifts with him, he runs with him, he trains with him. Markell is taller and faster, he will get bigger and stronger. Montrell had "IT", just not in the classroom. Hopefully, Markell gets all if "IT".

IMO, of all the great Ansonia RBs in recent years, Montrell was the best. He put a young, inexperienced Ansonia team on his back his senior year and taught them how to win. They came up short against St Joes in the state final, but those returning players went on to win three straight titles behind a veteran OLine and Arkeel Newsome.

So Ansonia won 3 straight titles with Arkeel Newsome running for like 10,000 yards because Montreal Dobbs set the table for him? Pretty sure Arkeel thinks you are out of your mind.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
My concern is that we can get kids qualified and admitted. When Hathaway was AD RE was frustrated that he couldn't get some of his kids in the program. I trust his judgment and if a kid like Matekevich (a PP recruit, but just an example) can get in Temple, we should be able to get him admitted into UConn smoothly... I'm not saying to loosen or change admission standards, but athletics should be able to work with admissions. I assume that's what they do at places like Michigan and Wisconsin which have pretty high standards too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom