2020 Recruiting: - Andre Jackson | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Andre Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Wing slasher, plays way above the rim – maybe moreso than anybody we've ever had.

Can't shoot a lick.

Who do you think our 3 best above the rim players were?

DMarshsll, Stix, Rudy?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

DMarshsll, Stix, Rudy?
I don't really think Donyell was an "above the rim" guy – he was more about length than explosive hops.

Stix & Rudy for sure. Ray really was an above the rim guy in his youth, tho obviously so much more than that. I think Burrell fits as well.

Reaction Score

DMarshsll, Stix, Rudy?

Although not an explosive player, Brimah caught more alley oops than any player we’ve had. I’d have to assume 30 of his points in his 40 point game came off Alley oops

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I don't really think Donyell was an "above the rim" guy – he was more about length than explosive hops.

Stix & Rudy for sure. Ray really was an above the rim guy in his youth, tho obviously so much more than that. I think Burrell fits as well.
Donyell #3 by default probably. Sticks and Gay are easily 1A and 1b then there’s a big drop off. Maybe Andre Drummond for the one year he played? Boat was a great dunker but didn’t show it off in game much.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I loved Caron’s dunks in traffic & TRobertson’s hops. Hopefully Coach Hurley is locking in on another high flyer!

Reaction Score
For one of the best basketball programs ever we've had a surprisingly low amount of jump out of the gym freaks. Rudy and Stix are the only guys that really fit the bill, I think we'll be adding one soon.

He's miniature but Boat was fairly freaky.

Reaction Score
For one of the best basketball programs ever we've had a surprisingly low amount of jump out of the gym freaks. Rudy and Stix are the only guys that really fit the bill, I think we'll be adding one soon.

He's miniature but Boat was fairly freaky.
Underrated in this department, Lyman Depriest. He had a dunk at BC on the break where he took off one foot inside the foul line and Tomahawked it with two hands. Just wasn't much of a scorer.

Reaction Score
Wing slasher, plays way above the rim – maybe moreso than anybody we've ever had.

Can't shoot a lick.

Amazing to me there’s high interest in a guy who doesn’t handle it that well and "can’t shoot a lick"? I really don’t care how great an athlete he is if he can’t learn to handle or make shots it will be difficult to be a stud even in college. If he is ready to work hard on both and the coaches feel he can then good for us.

The 2 we had Stanley and Rudy both could shoot it at least well enough to put the thought in the defense. Stanley was 6'8" too and could rebound the ball and Rudy was really long an 6'7" and could throw it on the floor enough to worry the defense. Hoping this kid finds a little of each of these guys because hops isn't enough.

Reaction Score
The 30,000 attendance.

I’ve said it before. That Dome hasn’t aged well. It’s not gonna be like Phog Allen or Hinkel. It’s gonna be like the old armory in the rundown city. Mausoleum like. And the State of New York ain’t gonna fix it or ever build infrastructure. Boeheim leaves. They’re in their transition and getting 11,000 one night. It gonna be awful

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Amazing to me there’s high interest in a guy who doesn’t handle it that well and "can’t shoot a lick"? I really don’t care how great an athlete he is if he can’t learn to handle or make shots it will be difficult to be a stud even in college. If he is ready to work hard on both and the coaches feel he can then good for us.

The 2 we had Stanley and Rudy both could shoot it at least well enough to put the thought in the defense. Stanley was 6'8" too and could rebound the ball and Rudy was really long an 6'7" and could throw it on the floor enough to worry the defense. Hoping this kid finds a little of each of these guys because hops isn't enough.
I don’t get it either.

Love CV. Kid gives 120% effort. Contributes on both ends but his handle is subpar for a guard which limits his half court offense when he goes into a shooting slump.

Like Polley. Decent 3 pt shooter. Inadequate handle limits his offense.

Sid Wilson is uber athletic but couldn’t get the ball in the hoop and has inadequate handle.

Most forum members like CV but feel we need the type of talent upgrade to relegate this type of player to the bench. Same with Polley. Sid is almost an after thought currently.

Uber athletes do well in high school. Limitations in their game impact team offense in college. Teams will hedge away from players like Andre putting pressure on the other four UConn players to score. If he was bigger I’d be more excited in that he could develop into a Roscoe Smith type player.

Maybe kid will be a Donny Marshall type player and put pressure on teams to get back on defense because of his quickness. And maybe he will develop an outside shot over time. Certainly the staff loves his attitude.

Reaction Score
The 30,000 attendance.

I’ve said it before. That Dome hasn’t aged well. It’s not gonna be like Phog Allen or Hinkel. It’s gonna be like the old armory in the rundown city. Mausoleum like. And the State of New York ain’t gonna fix it or ever build infrastructure. Boeheim leaves. They’re in their transition and getting 11,000 one night. It gonna be awful
Losing to VA Tech, 35-17 at half, no doubt.

Reaction Score

He will be more than fine. He’s getting better and has an athletic creativity that even Rudy or Stanley didn’t have. I don’t think hurley would be recruiting him so hard if he didn’t think he could improve on his weaknesses. He’s going to make things happen when he gets on the court no matter what.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Image result for jordan gif laughing
Hey E this seems to referencing the move to the NBE. With that background, is it a little less funny now?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Athleticism matters in athletics. He'd be the greatest pure athlete in UConn history, save the size adjusted Andre Drummond insanity. Nobody should expect Jackson to come in and be a primary scorer, but 2-3 years down the road, who knows what kind of skills he could develop.

Reaction Score
Admittedly uneducated on the kid, but I’ve never heard anyone say “I wish Sid was slightly more athletic.”

Could someone more familiar with his game differentiate between the two?

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Admittedly uneducated on the kid, but I’ve never heard anyone say “I wish Sid was slightly more athletic.”

Could someone more familiar with his game differentiate between the two?
Jackson plays at a completely different pace, his motor is nonstop, he’s much more competitive. He also has better handle than Sid.

C

Chief00

All Chief can say at the moment is that there are some outstanding recruits in the Northeast the next couple of years and rather than looking at the micro specifics right now of each player - look for a major paradigm shift to change the conversation. At that time, Chief will do some player specific deep dives.

Congrats to @CL82 for reading the tea leaves in Chief’s 6/19 post about a “ major paradigm shift” aka NBE.
Big Ern on the other hand....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member