Record with Cochran? | The Boneyard

Record with Cochran?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I realize this has been discussed a ton on the board but if Debacle had picked Cochran and named him the key every down starter what losses turn into wins?

Personally I see us winning USF, Tulane, Army and SMU.

Final record then would have been 6-6 (4-4).

Not that it absolves Diaco of all the craziness we saw this season, but given Casey's poise and accuracy I feel like we would be in a much better spot.

Not exactly groundbreaking but makes you wonder what if.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I personally don't see that many more wins, but what do I know?

Not to say Cochran was a world beater but those 4 losses in particular were just begging to have some semblance of competent QB play to get a W.

I suppose Army did thoroughly out play us, just became close at the end, but man USF Tulane and SMU I gotta think we wins those.

Reaction Score
6. As it was, we were actually close in so many games...with some of the worst QBing in the history of football.

All we needed was competent, and able to read and throw quickly. Casey was that exactly.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I realize this has been discussed a ton on the board but if Debacle had picked Cochran and named him the key every down starter what losses turn into wins?

Not that it absolves Diaco of all the craziness we saw this season, but given Casey's poise and accuracy I feel like we would be in a much better spot.

??????????????

Which s your argument:
  • Casey would not have retired (and therefore risked his well being for the remainder of his life)?
  • If Casey had spent the entirety of summer practice working with only #1's and had taken all of the snaps in the first two games (instead of most) he would have been able to avoid his last concussion
  • if Whitmer had no reps with the #1's until Casey got hurt he would have been a better QB once Casey retired?
Unless I am missing something (and if I am, feel free to point out what I am missing) your assertion has to be one of the above. Please explain how that could possibly be the case.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I don't think we have any more W's - coaching and play calling would have still effected his ability to be successful.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
??????????????

Which s your argument:
  • Casey would not have retired (and therefore risked his well being for the remainder of his life)?
  • If Casey had spent the entirety of summer practice working with only #1's and had taken all of the snaps in the first two games (instead of most) he would have been able to avoid his last concussion
  • if Whitmer had no reps with the #1's until Casey got hurt he would have been a better QB once Casey retired?
Unless I am missing something (and if I am, feel free to point out what I am missing) your assertion has to be one of the above. Please explain how that could possibly be the case.

Huh? Dude it's pretty obvious what my point is: Had Cochran not been forced to retire and was our starter what would have our record been.

How you implied anything is kind of bizarre.

Reaction Score
Bonehead said:
I don't think we have any more W's - coaching and play calling would have still effected his ability to be successful.

Exactly.

Diaco still would have:

1. Subbed Casey out when we needed him in.
2. Sat Davis on 3rd and long.
3. Defended Army like they were the Denver Broncos rather than a one trick pony running team.
4. Mismanaged the clock in every nail biter.
5. Run the ball up the gut for a yard repeatedly. 6. Punted when we needed a TD

And on and on.

Casey would have gotten us another couple wins or even 3-4, if Diaco let him. Unfortunately, Bob doesn't seem to know how to win football games.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Huh? Dude it's pretty obvious what my point is: Had Cochran not been forced to retire and was our starter what would have our record been.

as you opened it with this:

"I realize this has been discussed a ton on the board but if Debacle had picked Cochran and named him the key every down starter what losses turn into wins?"

it was easy to infer that the QB situation was due to Cochran not being named starter earlier. If your post began with "what would are record have been if Casey had been able to play the entire season" my response would have been different as I would have directly inferred that the point was Casey retiring and not being available to play, not Casey being named starter being delayed until shortly before the BYU game as the issue.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
as you opened it with this:

"I realize this has been discussed a ton on the board but if Debacle had picked Cochran and named him the key every down starter what losses turn into wins?"

it was easy to infer that the QB situation was due to Cochran not being named starter earlier. If your post began with "what would are record have been if Casey had been able to play the entire season" my response would have been different as I would have directly inferred that the point was Casey retiring and not being available to play, not Casey being named starter being delayed until shortly before the BYU game as the issue.

I guess so. I mean the title of the thread is simply record with Cochran.

I was being tongue in cheek with the key every down starter.

Simply though had Cochran just played as the full time starter like the e d of last season I say we get to 5 wins.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I agree fully. The four games you mentioned would likely have been wins (although the defense warrants equal blame for Army) and who knows if we could have pulled out another game (Temple was close until well into the second half and an offense could have played a major role in that game) beyond those.

Reaction Score

I like how you meant to say Diaco but you said debacle

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Casey wasn't going to be on the field. So while an argument can be made we couldn't have done worse playing with 10 men on offense, you can't say we'd be better.

Guys who can't stay on the field for injury, academics, conduct are just a useless as guys who can't perform on the field. Let's us as a fan base use this season as a learning experience and cut down on the irrational nonsense. I'm looking at all those who screamed for the third string QB to play all season.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Casey would have made a difference, but that didn't happen because of his injury.

I truly believe UCONN would have won a couple of more games

Reaction Score
Almost certainly beat USF, Tulane, Army, SMU. Maybe beat Boise, ECU

Reaction Score

sometimes you gotta take bonehead at face value.

Reaction Score

The team would have finished 2-10. Cochran was done after week 1. Let's not kid ourselves. This was finished after BYU.

Reaction Score

How you even ask the question, despite the circumstances (really no point in asking what the record would be) is kind of bizarre.

Reaction Score
the absence of cochran had a drastic effect. As you have all seen time and again whithmer could not run an offense or avoid imploding and worse you have all seen that Boyle is not a div 1 QB.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How you even ask the question, despite the circumstances (really no point in asking what the record would be) is kind of bizarre.

It's bizarre to ask how a team would've fared had their starting QB not been injured the whole season?

This is a sports message board. All we do is speculate and debate all things UConn football.

Reaction Score

At least two, maybe 4 more wins, especially with the improved O-line later in the year. With Cochrane the play calling may have become more aggressive too, which would have helped.

Reaction Score
Hard to say how it all would have played out, but if CC was healthy, I think they finish with a couple more Ws.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Actually, some of us would have been in love with Chandler because he would have been the backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom