Record Fundraising Year For UConn: $158 Millions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Record Fundraising Year For UConn: $158 Millions

Reaction Score
I doubt it would generate 4 million for the budget each year. I believe they only spend approximately 4% of the endowment value each year not the 10% of the value shown in your example above.
If you are only spending 4% of your endowment then the other 6% goes to future growth and that 4% will tick up slowly in perpetuity. I have done some work with the UVA endowment fund and would say that if they are averaging less than an 8% return historically then whoever runs ours should be fired. When you are deploying that much money to investment managers you can negotiate better terms than the average investor would and get your money with the top PE/Hedge funds in the world at strong terms

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The endowment should be tripled in size within five years.
Is that aspirational, or is there a specific framework in place that will allow us to add $1 billion to our endowment?

Reaction Score
The athletics report is great - everyone should read it - they didn't shy away from the questions that everyone usually asks.

Reaction Score
It is just stunning to me how much lower than the norm we are, even given the recent increases. I understand the things that created that, but still.
Issue here is UConn has rarely pushed the endowment in past decades. The foundation, alumni association have now combined.

The school didn’t seem to really push this in the 80a and 90s, I think since the stage covered so much. Also, UConn gets criticized for the foundation not being open to open record laws.

Reaction Score
Benedict and the UConn Foundation getting out in front of things. I applaud the direct approach countering the false narrative that athletic departments make money and don’t draw from a university’s resources. The report makes the case for why sports are important to UConn and why a $30-something M annual investment is not a problem in the overall mission. Costs stable (with no payouts), revenue going up, donations going up, winning still happening.

Reaction Score
Is that aspirational, or is there a specific framework in place that will allow us to add $1 billion to our endowment?
Some options: hire away the Yale fundraisers who handle Connecticut, have alumni reunions by class year at UConn with fundraising a major goal, focus on commercialization in scientific research that leads to massive revenue, make sure the university president is spending
a lot of her time on fundraising from wealthy potential donors. There are others too.

Reaction Score
Benedict and the UConn Foundation getting out in front of things. I applaud the direct approach countering the false narrative that athletic departments make money and don’t draw from a university’s resources. The report makes the case for why sports are important to UConn and why a $30-something M annual investment is not a problem in the overall mission. Costs stable (with no payouts), revenue going up, donations going up, winning still happening.

Was surprised at the transparency but loved it - was really well done.

Reaction Score
Issue here is UConn has rarely pushed the endowment in past decades. The foundation, alumni association have now combined.

The school didn’t seem to really push this in the 80a and 90s, I think since the stage covered so much. Also, UConn gets criticized for the foundation not being open to open record laws.

Many public schools didn't - they didn't have to. I'm on the board of the foundation at SCSU - now that the state is challenged having a very small endowment really hurts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
With focus and a commitment from leadership and strong fundraising I think 3 billion in 10 years is a strong goal
Me too. I just wonder if it is and achievable goal.

Reaction Score
That's pretty abysmal considering the size of the school and our success academically and athletically. Just looking at a list of highest endowments from schools we seem to be compared to...

UMass: 1.1 billion
UMaryland: 1
Cuse: 1.8 (barf)
Delaware: 1.8
Nova: 1.1

And randomly enough, Wesleyan is actually 2nd in the country in endowment per undergrad student, right after Yale #1. Even Quinnipiac has 700 mill like you said. So it's not like it's just a Northeast cultural thing where people don't give to colleges like they do down south.

Time for UConn to step it up on the fundraising front. Football success would probably help a lot with that.
The UMass endowment includes UMass Amherst, UMass Lowell, UMass Boston, UMass Medical Center, UMass Dartmouth,... The endowment related to UMass Amherst is about $450 million.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom