Recipe for Disaster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recipe for Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last year, the team severely underperformed, lost a lot of games they should have won, and, although they made the Elite Eight, they did so with no hope of advancing beyond that point and partially on the strength of a weak bracket.

Yeah. And your point? That class underperformed for 4 years.

Reaction Score
Would you like the person who used to do your job kind of hanging around the office all the time, especially if you were responsible for the performance of others?

You are viewing this through your own lens. Not everyone feels that way about their predecessor.

My own boss and I have a very good relationship and he's about to move to a different role, putting me in charge. But I'm glad he'll still be actively involved, as he and I made a good team, and he brings a lot of knowledge and experience to the group.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You are viewing this through your own lens. Not everyone feels that way about their predecessor.

My own boss and I have a very good relationship and he's about to move to a different role, putting me in charge. But I'm glad he'll still be actively involved, as he and I made a good team, and he brings a lot of knowledge and experience to the group.

Sounds like to me you are looking at it through your lens. How can you compare what you do to the fishbowl of WCBB?

Now, I agree that at practices, since she is not allowed to actively coach, there should be no issue. But sitting behind the bench for home games? Not a good idea.

Reaction Score
The NCAA site posted a link to Pat's job description. http://www.ncaa.com/sports/basketball-women/d1

EXHIBIT A
HEAD COACH EMERITUS AGREEMENT

Title:HeadCoachEmeritus
DutiesandResponsibilities
1. Liaison to the Director of Athletics.
2. Advisor to women’s basketball; participate in permissible activities related towomen’s basketball(see permissible list).
3. Serve as advisor to the Southeastern Conference on women’s basketball issues.
4. Assist development office and athletics department with men’s and women’s basketball locker room enhancement project and other projects as identified.
5. Serve as mentor to all Tennessee athletic department coaching staffs.

PermissibleBasketballRelatedActivities

Practice and Competition
a. Observepractice.
b. Participate in general staff meetings.
c. Analyze team or opponent video.
d. Analyze game or practice activities with members of the coaching staff.
e. Enter the women’s basketball locker room during half-time and after games as long as the team and individual players are not instructed.

Recruiting
a. Engage in al lcomponents of on-campus recruiting in women’s basketball and other sports. Be present at on-campus meals; communicate with recruits and their families.
b. Send letters, emails or hand written notes to recruits in women’s basketball and other sports.
c. Attend official visit meals and functions within 30 miles of campus, including hosting a prospect for meal at staff member’s home.
d. Accompany coach to airport to bring prospect to campus for an official visit.

Player Development
a. Personal mentoring.
b. Life skills coaching.

Reaction Score
About days before a team's first game but it is more complicated than that. It changed awhile ago to the following;
"The big change in practices schedule this year is that instead of having a specific date when practices start (usually October 15th) the new practice rules state that a team may have 30 practices in the 40 days prior to their first game of the season. So for example the Bobcat Men’s first game this year is November 12 (not counting exhibition games) this means they could hold their first practice on October 2 almost two weeks before when they did last year. Now I think it will require a few more days off of practice between the start of practice and the first game but I think athletes and coaches will welcome this change. This stagger the start of practices for all programs, so we will not have the big Mid-night madness events like there have been in the past."

Just to clarify, since it appears the author of this paragraph was confused, the 40-day rule only applies to women's basketball. For the men, the start date is the Friday (after 5 PM) closest to October 15th - which this year is October 12th - the earliest possible date.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yeah, but that's men's basketball, who cares? ;-)

But you're right using men's hoops as the example the guys obscures the issue.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
She's got a 4-yr, $485,000/year contract. Poor her. 95% of the WCBB coaches in the country would kill for that.

I think I'll still say "Poor her". My guess is she'd give back that 485K/year in a sec. if she could be rid of her affliction.

Reaction Score
I think I'll still say "Poor her". My guess is she'd give back that 485K/year in a sec. if she could be rid of her affliction.

The 485K for 4 years is HOLLY's contract. Pat has a 1 year contract for significantly less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom