Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017 | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017

Reaction Score
Year End Movie Review Roundup!!! (for postings in 2018 only)

Mano:

Total movies watched: 43

War for the Planet of the Apes, Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Dunkirk, It, Mother!, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, Cars 3, Blade Runner 2049, Spider-Man: Homecoming, T2 Trainspotting, Ferdinand, The Mummy, Live By Night, Atomic Blonde, Gran Torino, Black Panther, Game Night, Blockers, Geostorm, Set It Up, I Feel Pretty, A Quiet Place, Ready Player One, Tully, Isle of Dogs, Justice League, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Murder on the Orient Express, Deadpool 2, Tag, Early Man, Father Figures, Sorry to Bother You, Incredibles 2, Crazy Rich Asians, Ocean’s 8, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Avengers: Infinity War, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Pacific Rim Uprising, Red Sparrow, Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Top 5:
1) T2 Trainspotting
2) Incredibles 2
3) Blade Runner 2049
4) Mission: Impossible - Fallout
5) It

@Travelman32:

Total movies watched: 60

Song of the Sea, Gravity, A Cat in Paris, Akira, Demon Seed, District 9, Mad Max, Mad Max 2, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Mad Max: Fury Road, House Party, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, 5 Centimeters Per Second, Leon the Professional, Kramer vs. Kramer, Me Before You, 12 Feet Deep, Clerks, Back to School, Circus Kane, Killer Clowns from Outer Space, Meatballs, Soylent Green, Blade Runner, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, The Great Outdoors, The Purge: Election Year, The Secret of Kells, Unfriended, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Don’t Hang Up, The Burning, The Boxtrolls, John Wick, THX 1138, The Running Man, The Secret World of Arrietty, The Woman, The Loved Ones, Step Brothers, Chuck & Buck, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, Castle in the Sky, Hounds of Love, Berlin Syndrome, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Darbareye Elly, Basic Instinct, Single, White Female, The Cat Returns, All Hallows’ Eve, Ex Machina, Get Out, Less Than Zero, Where the Wild Things Are, What About Bob, Best In Show, Black Panther, 10,000 BC, Encino Man

@nwhoopfan:

Total movies watched: 46

Fugitive Pieces, Atomic Blonde, The Foreigner, Only the Brave, Thor: Ragnarok, Wonder, Thank You For Your Service, Murder on the Orient Express, Lady Bird, Split, Morgan, Life of a King, Thelma, Molly’s Game, Hostiles, Please Stand By, Avengers: Infinity War, Ready Player One, Incredibles 2, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Leave No Trace, Mission: Impossible – Fallout, The Vanishing of Sidney Hall, Higher Power, How to Talk to Girls at Parties, Ted 2, In Darkness, Tag, Upgrade, Tai Chi Zero, Terminal, Ant-man and the Wasp, The Meg, Mile 22, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Basmati Blues, Entanglement, The Equalizer 2, Feed, Searching, A Simple Favor, Dog Days, Mary Poppins Returns, Bumblebee, Kodachrome, The Spy Who Dumped Me

@HuskyHawk:

Total movies watched: 24

Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, It, Atomic Blonde, The Hitman’s Bodyguard, American Made, Baby Driver, Zombieland, The Circle, Murder on the Orient Express, Daddy’s Home Two, Justice League, V for Vendetta, Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, The Men Who Stare at Goats, Death Wish, All the Money in the World, Red Sparrow, Chappaquiddick, Ready Player One, Incredibles 2, Outlaw King, Bohemian Rhapsody

@Dove:

Total movies watched: 21

Super Dark Times, Chuck, The Voices, Blood Money, Maudie, Better Living Through Chemistry, Frozen, Wind River, What Happened To Monday, Death Wish, Calibre, Hereditary, Uncle Buck, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Captain Fantastic, The Devil’s Candy, Revenge, Apostle, Security, The Christmas Chronicles, EdTV

@8893:

Total movies watched: 17

La La Land, The Mountain Between Us, The Post, Molly’s Game, Rocky, The Deer Hunter, Wonder, Hearts Beat Loud, Being John Malkovich, Three Identical Strangers, The Paper Chase, The Old Man & the Gun, Game Night, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Green Book, Vice, Mary Poppins Returns

@dbmill:

Total movies watched: 16

Dunkirk, The Big Sick, Marshall, Their Finest, Lady Bird, The Darkest Hour, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, The Post, The Shape of Water, The Naked Truth, Isle of Dogs, Loving Vincent, Sorry to Bother You, Early Man, The Man Who Invented Christmas, Spirited Away

@ZooCougar:

Total movies watched: 10

Annihilation, The Pursuit of Happyness, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Deadpool 2, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, The Meg, Crazy Rich Asians, The Predator, Mission: Impossible – Fallout, Holmes and Watson

@G0UCONN:

Total movies watched: 9

The Foreigner, The Post, The Darkest Hour, Dunkirk, The Big Sick, Hostiles, Battle of the Sexes, Black Panther, Deadpool 2

@JMick:

Total movies watched: 8

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, The Big Sick, A Quiet Place, Avengers: Infinity War, Red Dragon, American Animals, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Ingrid Goes West

@Fishy:

Total movies watched: 7

Black Panther, Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi, Avengers: Infinity Wars, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Crazy Rich Asians, Rampage

@nelsonmuntz:

Total movies watched: 6

Changing Lanes, Nobody’s Fool, King Arthur, The Battle of the Sexes, He’s Just Not That Into You, Dirty Dancing

@Walker11:

Total movies watched: 6

Annihilation, Bone Tomahawk, Jungle, Hunting Emma, Compliance, Hold the Dark

@Husky25:

Total movies watched: 5

The Nice Guys, Margin Call, Incredibles 2, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

@Waquoit:

Total movies watched: 5

Isle of Dogs, Logan Lucky, Mamma Mia, Singing in the Rain, At Eternity’s Gate

@Dogdeacon:

Total movies watched: 4

Lion, The Post, Tag, Phantom Thread

@John:

The Darkest Hour, Detroit, 99 Homes, The Fugitive

@superjohn:

Lady Bird, Tramps, Ant-man and the Wasp, Game Night

@huskypantz:

Total movies watched: 3

Alien: Covenant, Aquaman, Bumblebee

@cohenzone:

Total movies watched: 2 3

The Green Book, The Favourite, Mary Poppins Returns

@Jaker:

Total movies watched: 2

Avengers: Infinity War, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

@storrsroars:

Blood Money, The Hornet’s Nest

@Deepster:

Battle of the Sexes, Spun

@Kolumbo:

Enemy of the State, Love Affair

@J187Money:

Widows, The Mule

@the Q:

Justice League, Black Panther

@August_West:

Total movies watched: 1

The Founder

@Jay-Bone:

Brawl In Cell Block 99

@Horatio:

Avengers: Infinity War

@CL82:

Wild

@temery:

CHIPS

@Yardigan:

I Can Only Imagine

@CajunHusky:

A Man Called Ove

@CardiacAndre7:

Arrival

@huskyrob1:

An Officer and a Gentleman

@manbyrd:

Annihilation

@noeynox:

Bird Box​

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wow.

Dude.

That's pretty interesting - thanks for the effort.

I actually watched more movies than that...I should make more of an effort here.

Going to go back over the memory banks and see if I can remember them all.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah I watched more movies than that, too.

I think the best 2018 movie I saw was Three Identical Strangers. My other favorites of the year include Won't You Be My Neighbor?, Green Book and BlacKkKlansman.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
@CL82:

Wild
We'll that was just sad. I'm sure I watched more than that. I guess I will have to better about posting on them.

I saw Mary Poppins Returns as well. It was perfectly acceptable. It reminded a bit of Star Wars TFA, in that it was a remake cloaked as a sequel with the narrative, fantasy sequences and songs paralleling the original.
Lamp Lighters = Chimney Sweeps; Asking for more time = bank run; hopping into china bowl = hopping into chalk painting; Topsy Turvy = Uncle Albert etc.

Emily Bount is fine but she's no Julie Andrews and the same can be said about Lin Miranda and Dick Van Dyke. Still it's fine. My biggest criticism is that the music isn't really memorable.

Reaction Score
I’ve no doubt you all watched probably many more than that, mostly I just did it to spur on movie conversation. Film being something I love almost as much as UConn. Also I’m going to start a new thread specifically for 2019 so hopefully this’ll get people more involved. I used to frequent a movie specific forum but who has the time these days.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wow, that must've taken some time to compile @Mano , thanks.

I definitely saw more movies than that. Some I just didn't get around to noting here, some I didn't feel were worth posting about.

Saw "The Predator" last night. My expectations were fairly low based on some reviews I'd read. I didn't hate it. A bit strange tonally. Keegan-Michael Key seemed like he was in the wrong movie. In fact that whole squad of PTSD suffering, mentally disturbed ex soldiers was really odd, kinda comic relief but not very funny? I like Thomas Jane but this was an odd role for him as well. When did Jake Busey get so old? I barely recognized him. Hmm, he's around my age, so I guess I can't talk about getting old. :rolleyes: Did not even realize Jacob Tremblay was the kid in the movie. He's been good in very diverse roles (Room, Wonder). I won't complain about Olivia Munn and Yvonne Strahovksi being in it, although Yvonne's role was fairly limited. Sterling K. Brown's character was strange too.

I've never attempted to write a script, not saying it's easy....but there seem to be a lot of people who do it that just aren't that good at it. The bar is set fairly low, for a lot of movies mediocre is good enough I guess. I keep watching them, although rarely at the theater.

Reaction Score

I think the best 2018 movie I saw was Three Identical Strangers. My other favorites of the year include Won't You Be My Neighbor?, Green Book and BlacKkKlansman.

We also saw Won't You Be My Neighbor? last year. It was also a favorite of ours as well.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Last Holiday(2006)

Queen Latifah in a cute and funny movie about a woman given 2 weeks to live. Says f it and flies off to a lush hotel in Europe.

I enjoyed this one.

Reaction Score
Great job Mano, that is about how many new movies I watched!
Top 5
1st Lion
2nd The Post
3rd Lady Bird (saw on a plane)
4th Phantom Thread
5th Star Wars VII
2018th - Tag

Reaction Score

Same here. Most of the stuff I see through Netflix I'll mention here, but it isn't a totally complete list. I know a few things that I saw I gave a mention to on other threads here.

Reaction Score
Same here. Most of the stuff I see through Netflix I'll mention here, but it isn't a totally complete list.

Speaking of Netflix, I just saw Raising Arizona for the first time. Typical Coen Brothers comedy, although in saying that you come to realize that the only thing that is typical of the Coen Brothers is a certain amount of oddball weirdness. At any rate, we thought this was a very good comedy, and definitely wouldn't mind seeing it again. Definitely a good role for Holly Hunter as well, playing in some ways a forerunner to her role in Oh Brother Where Art Thou, which is still probably my favorite Coen Brothers film.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We'll that was just sad. I'm sure I watched more than that. I guess I will have to better about posting on them.

I saw Mary Poppins Returns as well. It was perfectly acceptable. It reminded a bit of Star Wars TFA, in that it was a remake cloaked as a sequel with the narrative, fantasy sequences and songs paralleling the original.
Lamp Lighters = Chimney Sweeps; Asking for more time = bank run; hopping into china bowl = hopping into chalk painting; Topsy Turvy = Uncle Albert etc.

Emily Bount is fine but she's no Julie Andrews and the same can be said about Lin Miranda and Dick Van Dyke. Still it's fine. My biggest criticism is that the music isn't really memorable.
Just saw it myself. I thought the songs were....ok. I did like A Cover Is Not A Book. Thought it was the best. However it goes up against Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

I did really like Emily Blunt though.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Netflix, I just saw Raising Arizona for the first time. Typical Coen Brothers comedy, although in saying that you come to realize that the only thing that is typical of the Coen Brothers is a certain amount of oddball weirdness. At any rate, we thought this was a very good comedy, and definitely wouldn't mind seeing it again. Definitely a good role for Holly Hunter as well, playing in some ways a forerunner to her role in Oh Brother Where Art Thou, which is still probably my favorite Coen Brothers film.
Curious what your reaction was to Cage?

I'd think if you've seen his movies or followed his antics over the last 15yrs his likability factor is way down. Can you dismiss that and just watch the movie and laugh? Back in the day he was the male ingenue and very likable, having grown up with him and being able to remember those times I can still love him in the old stuff and hate/refuse to watch anything after 2003 (Adaptation his last enjoyable movie for me).

Tom Cruise is similar for me, the older the movie the more I like him, the older he is the less likable he becomes. Beginning in 1999 with Magnolia I only like him in subsequent movies if he's playing a dick, but I can watch and root for pre-99 Cruise even in earlier mediocre roles like Far & Away (why is this suddenly on cable so much?).
P.S. The chances are 0 that Tom Cruise ages gracefully for Top Gun II ala Newman in Color of Money, I won't see it in theaters and can guarantee that Tom Cruise feats & role will need to be greater than whoever plays the young hot shot.

Reaction Score

I'd think if you've seen his movies or followed his antics over the last 15yrs his likability factor is way down. Can you dismiss that and just watch the movie and laugh? Back in the day he was the male ingenue and very likable, having grown up with him and being able to remember those times I can still love him in the old stuff and hate/refuse to watch anything after 2003 (Adaptation his last enjoyable movie for me).

Tom Cruise is similar for me, the older the movie the more I like him, the older he is the less likable he becomes. Beginning in 1999 with Magnolia I only like him in subsequent movies if he's playing a dick, but I can watch and root for pre-99 Cruise even in earlier mediocre roles like Far & Away (why is this suddenly on cable so much?).
P.S. The chances are 0 that Tom Cruise ages gracefully for Top Gun II ala Newman in Color of Money, I won't see it in theaters and can guarantee that Tom Cruise feats & role will need to be greater than whoever plays the young hot shot.

I was fine with Nicolas Cage in Raising Arizona, despite what has happened to his career. By the way, Adaptation is a wonderfully imaginative film, with Cage doing a very fine job playing twins. But as you point out, shortly after this time Cage lost all concept of quality control in terms of the movies that he would do, and doing them all pretty much for the money they offered. I haven't bothered with him for quite some time due to this, but that that wouldn't prevent me from going back and watching and enjoying stuff like Adaptation or Raising Arizona.

Reaction Score

Have you seen him in Mandy yet? I thought he did pretty good and was a nice little respite from the crapfest factory he's been pumping out. Caution though that the movie is cracked out and not for everyone. High on the wierdometer but intriguing if you're into that style. Not for the faint of heart.

Reaction Score
Should make a 2019 movies thread? I will be more up-to-date with reporting if I know someone is counting... ;)

Reaction Score
I’ve no doubt you all watched probably many more than that, mostly I just did it to spur on movie conversation. Film being something I love almost as much as UConn. Also I’m going to start a new thread specifically for 2019 so hopefully this’ll get people more involved. I used to frequent a movie specific forum but who has the time these days.
@Mano as a movie connoisseur you may be interested in this site icheckmovies.com. It allows you to keep track of everything you've seen and cross references all types of rankings and lists by genres.

Reaction Score
It's been quite a while since I saw it, but my recollection is that "A Cat in Paris" was also a very worthwhile animated feature, probably in line with some of those you've listed.

In addition to @nwhoopfan, I recall @Mano recommended "A Cat in Paris" as well. Well, we finally got around to watching this animated feature film. The verdict is, my wife and I absolutely loved this film, and yes, it does fall in line with the animated features that I had previously mentioned in these various entertainment threads. A terrific animated feature film with more than a hint of Hitchcock in it, this film packs a lot of stuff plus adventure into its approximately 65 minute running time. Definitely worth watching for those who are into animated feature films.

Reaction Score
There was a Leslie Caron "day" on TMC a week or so ago. I forgot just how charismatic of an acrtress she is (yes she is still kicking at 88).

Lili, Gigi, An American in Paris, Daddy Long Legs. I think Father Goose is the first movie I saw her in.
She was pretty good in Chocolat too.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just saw "Loving Vincent" the animated feature that explored the life, death, and artwork of Vincent Van Gogh. It is an excellent piece of animation, which richly deserved its Academy Award nomination for Best Animated Feature. By the way, when it comes to the Best Animated Feature nominations, I recommend that people pay attention to the lesser known works that often get nominated. The well known mass audience stuff from companies like Disney and Pixar will almost always win, but the lesser known features from around the world are almost always well worth seeing. It's how I became aware of such marvelous animated features like Triplets of Belleville, Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea, Kubo and the Two Strings, and the Red Turtle.

Hey @dbmill I might have another one for you. Just streamed "The Painting" via Kanopy. French animated film, but it had an option for English. Nice visuals, fairly interesting story. Gets fairly intense at times for an animated feature. All the subjects in a painting are alive within the painting. There is a cast system based on the particular character being finished, partially done, or merely a sketch (the painting is incomplete of course). A completed figure and a half done fall in love, which is forbidden. Philosophical and metaphysical questions and a big adventure ensue.

Reaction Score
Hey @dbmill I might have another one for you. Just streamed "The Painting" via Kanopy. French animated film, but it had an option for English. Nice visuals, fairly interesting story. Gets fairly intense at times for an animated feature. All the subjects in a painting are alive within the painting. There is a cast system based on the particular character being finished, partially done, or merely a sketch (the painting is incomplete of course). A completed figure and a half done fall in love, which is forbidden. Philosophical and metaphysical questions and a big adventure ensue.

Never heard of it, but it looks like this could be interesting. It's available on Netflix, so I just added it to my Queue.

Reaction Score
The Tim Burton remake of Dumbo that came out earlier this year got rather unenthusiastic reviews. While I had no desire to see this Disney retread, it got me thinking about classic Disney movies. Many years ago I recall seeing the various early Disney classic animated feature films such as Snow White, Pinnochio, and Fantasia, but I had never seen the original Dumbo. I mentioned this to my wife, and she said she had never seen it before as well. Well, it is available on the Netflix DVD plan, so we watched it last night. It certainly deserves its reputation as a classic piece of animation made by the Disney crew at the height of their prowess. While the whole movie is certainly well made, for me two sequences stand out. First would be the surrealistic pink elephant sequence, which to me almost seems to be a left over bit from some of the crazy stuff you find in Fantasia. Something like this must have made Salvador Dali proud. It is a pretty wild sequence that more or less comes from left field, but works very well. The other sequence is when Dumbo encounters the crows late in the film. I've heard that the crows come in for some criticism due to racial stereotype grounds, but to me this is the best part of the movie. The jive talk patter and action of the crows remind me of what goes on in two great movies from the early 1940's, Cabin in the Sky, and Stormy Weather, both of which were musicals with all black casts. Both Cabin and Stormy Weather have more than their share of racial stereotyping, but are also amazing pieces of entertainment (both are among my favorite movie musicals). I think the crow sequence falls under the same tradition, with the crows at first mocking Dumbo and Timothy the Mouse, but eventually coming to sympathize with Dumbo's situation, and on to becoming their allies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Cruise's best role this century was Les Grossman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom