Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017

Reaction Score
Rampage.

This one didn’t aspire to much, but it’s really one of the worst movies ever made.
Only because it’s on HBO did I give it a go. I made it about halfway and fell asleep because it was so laughably absurd that it lost my attention.

Why do they have to try and make the dumbest videogames into movies?

Reaction Score
Saw black panther.

Ridiculously overrated. It’s not a bad movie, but it’s not even better than iron man 1.

It’s just another solid comic book movie.

It’s certainly no Man of Steel

I thought Black Panther sucked. Stupid plot, terrible premise.

Reaction Score
Holmes and Watson. So pissed I spent actual money on this.

I don’t know how you make a bad movie with Ferrell and Reilly but someone did it.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I went ahead and read the spoiler, because I decided based on the previews that was a movie I was going to skip. Skipping the Rock's jumping off a huge crane onto a skyscraper movie too. I think maybe I'm approaching saturation level for the Rock.
He played the tooth fairy. He's been over the cliff for almost a decade.

Reaction Score
Holmes and Watson. So pissed I spent actual money on this.

I don’t know how you make a bad movie with Ferrell and Reilly but someone did it.
Wow, what were you thinking? I might sometimes still take a chance on a movie whose RottenTomatoes percentage is in the 50’s or worse, but that ones sitting around 7%.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Kids were with the grandparents for a few days so the wife and I saw a few movies.
  • Alien: Covenant - it's older, I know. I had high hopes. They were dashed by copy & paste clips of monsters popping out of chests. I thought they were going in a really cool direction but they always revert back to the same schtick.
  • Aquaman - Apparently DC has a hard time finding actors. There's some entertainment value if you like(d) comic books, but everything that involved Manta was cringeworthy.
  • Bumblebee - Special effects were great - CGI-human integration was some of the best I can recall. It's a transformers movie, but it delivers enough action and storyline to entertain. Better than WaterGuy, at least.

Reaction Score
Mission: Impossible - Fallout - Watch Tom Cruise’s little legs take him as fast as he can go in this direction and that! So much running as is his usual.

I’m a sucker for spy/espionage flicks and this is as quality as they come. It’s pace was relentless and exhilarating and the set pieces and fight scenes were tremendous. All of it filmed in a really eye-catching manner.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
EdTV

Was on TV while I cooked and stuff. Was kinda funny.

Reaction Score
Wow, what were you thinking? I might sometimes still take a chance on a movie whose RottenTomatoes percentage is in the 50’s or worse, but that ones sitting around 7%.

Not my choice. Ugh.

Reaction Score
Mission: Impossible - Fallout - Watch Tom Cruise’s little legs take him as fast as he can go in this direction and that! So much running as is his usual.

I’m a sucker for spy/espionage flicks and this is as quality as they come. It’s pace was relentless and exhilarating and the set pieces and fight scenes were tremendous. All of it filmed in a really eye-catching manner.

LOL. But it was good.

Reaction Score
I distinctly remember when the bar for movie excellence was "Citizen Kane", and later "The Godfather" and "2001".

Murica. Yeah.

It’s relative. No comic book movies are in that sphere. Well, maybe The Dark Knight. But not really.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The Green Book. - Entertaining. The family of the real pianist the movie is based on supposedly hated it because it’s not accurate. That’s their problem.

The Favourite. Very Soft core at its finest. I’m neutral. My wife hated it. Queen Anne did love her ladies in waiting . .my post flick research shows the film to be relatively true to the real Queen Anne.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It’s relative. No comic book movies are in that sphere. Well, maybe The Dark Knight. But not really.

Exactly. It’s not fair to put comic movies to the same standard.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Ledger's Joker is a top 5 all-time villain IMO, but the genre as a whole does pretty much nothing for me as comics weren't my thing growing up. Unfortunately, it does boffo box office for Hollywood, so we keep getting new ones, even reboots of stuff that's still pretty recent, while "more adult" movies are marginalized. But don't mind me, I'm just a cranky old guy who likes plot, character development, actual dialogue instead of money quotes, and far less CGI and crap blowing up.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Saw Mary Poppins Returns last night. Better than I expected it to be, in large part due to Emily Blunt.
Emily Blunt makes anything she is in 10% better. That said. I probably won't see it until it comes to cable, Netflix, or Hulu.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We just caught At Eternity's Gate, a Van Gogh biopic. Willem Dafoe was first-rate. I liked it, nice visuals. But movies with nice visuals can be boring and that was the verdict of my partner.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Emily Blunt makes anything she is in 10% better. That said. I probably won't see it until it comes to cable, Netflix, or Hulu.
Yeah we saw it on DVD; I would not have gone to the theater for it. My brother is in the producers guild so he gets screeners. That’s how we saw Vice the other night too.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Saw "Mary Poppins" with family on Christmas. I'm not really a fan of musicals generally speaking, I get frustrated and wish they would stop singing and get on with the movie usually. That said I enjoyed it. Agree with above, mostly because of Emily Blunt. I thought Emily Mortimer was charming as well.

I've never done a double feature at a theater before, but after that we watched "Bumblebee." Entertaining, a bit different than all the Bayformer flicks. I'm a fan of Hailee Steinfeld, so it had that going for it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'd been mildly curious about "Kodachrome" for a while. Finally got a chance to stream it on Netflix. Some good acting talent but fairly mediocre. Jason Sudeikis is good at playing jerky characters who are still at least somewhat sympathetic. Ed Harris had a thankless job of playing a jerky character with no redeeming qualities. I always enjoy Elizabeth Olsen.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Tried watching "The Spy Who Dumped Me" last night. I gave it an honest try, 45 minutes. I didn't even chuckle or smirk once in that time. It was aggressively unfunny. It was leaning more to the action side than the comedy side for a billed action comedy, but as an action movie it was not even quite mediocre. I like Mila Kunis, but she wasn't really shining in this one. I've thought Kate McKinnon was funny in some roles but it just wasn't working for her in this one. As a little side rant, I'm not a fan of full frontal male nudity. Not sure when that became a thing in Hollywood. Also I'm not really prudish on language but every third or fourth word started w/ an F, seemed so excessive and accomplished nothing.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Saw "Mary Poppins" with family on Christmas. I'm not really a fan of musicals generally speaking, I get frustrated and wish they would stop singing and get on with the movie usually. That said I enjoyed it. Agree with above, mostly because of Emily Blunt. I thought Emily Mortimer was charming as well.

I've never done a double feature at a theater before, but after that we watched "Bumblebee." Entertaining, a bit different than all the Bayformer flicks. I'm a fan of Hailee Steinfeld, so it had that going for it.
My wife and I walked out of Mary Poppins. We settled for it because Vice was sold out. Just a little too much of Mary’s fantasy scenes without the story going anywhere. Great for kids, though. We both were a little bored which is bad in these new theater seats that are too comfortable.

Reaction Score
For non gratuitous (? Lol) shoot 'em up fans i enjoyed the remake of the '70s classic Death Wish. Bruce Willis has the Bronson role and it is re set in Chicago. For those that are Windy City fans as am I, great city scene shots throughout with a nod to Evanston. For entertainment value: ****

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom