Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Man of Steel is the only good DC movie thus far. But I heard Aquaman had decent reviews.

DC shouldn’t have have tried to copy Marvel/Disney so much. Superman is a big enough character to keep giving him his own movies, he doesn’t need a supporting cast to make a movie good imo.

They tried to rush justice league with BvS, despite the fact that it was based on incredibly overrated source material.

They should’ve done aquaman and flash at least before doing JL

Reaction Score
They tried to rush justice league with BvS, despite the fact that it was based on incredibly overrated source material.

They should’ve done aquaman and flash at least before doing JL

I agree. And both characters are beyond decent.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Christmas Chronicles on Netflix

Kurt Russell is an excellent New Age Santa Clause. Hip. Engaging. Funny.

Darby Camp was really good as young Kate. Judah Lewis player her brother and was meh.

But overall a movie that should be an annual must-see. The Jail scene is great.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

No sale. I bought/read the source material the day it hit the stores. Overall, I loved it. Non-comic readers in my office borrowed it to read and enjoyed it. It's properly rated, an all-time classic and game changer.

the Q

Reaction Score
No sale. I bought/read the source material the day it hit the stores. Overall, I loved it. Non-comic readers in my office borrowed it to read and enjoyed it. It's properly rated, an all-time classic and game changer.

It’s probbly not a top 10 Batman story, forget everyone else.

The Superman aspect of it is poorly explained, poorly executed, and generally weak.

Reaction Score
Red Son would have made a great movie as a stand-alone Superman flick.

Reaction Score
Huh? Isn't that their problem? Not copying Marvel enough?

No, they should have done their own thing. Instead they did a lesser version of Marvel.

Ben Affleck is also a horrible Batman.

the Q

Reaction Score
Red Son would have made a great movie as a stand-alone Superman flick.

A great animated flick.

DC does incredible animated work.

For some reason they can’t get their live action stuff to work.

Movies like Batman Beyond: return of the joker and Batman: mask of the phantasm are top 5 comic book movies, period.

the Q

Reaction Score
Saw black panther.

Ridiculously overrated. It’s not a bad movie, but it’s not even better than iron man 1.

It’s just another solid comic book movie.

It’s certainly no Man of Steel

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The Founder (2016) - Michael Keaton as Ray Kroc, the "founder" of McDonald's. It's a biopic, and has biopic problems (a little slow, falls in love with the protagonist, secondary characters are not developed enough), but it was worth the watch. I really like Linda Cardellini in everything she does.
Watched it the other night.
Solid. Almost excellent, but just misses for many of the reasons you say. Good watch though. Any movie that sticks a knife in Laura Dern automatically gets an extra star with me. Hate her as much as sucky Helen hunt.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Saw Vice last night. Interesting. Bale does a very impressive and believable job as Cheney (although I got a bit annoyed by his mumble-speak, which was often tough to hear clearly). Some good supporting turns from Amy Adams, Steve Carrell and Sam Rockwell, among others. The movie tells a compelling story in an effective and unique way, but I thought it was little too heavy handed with technique and message.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
just saw "fantastic beasts: the crimes of grindelwald" couldn't understand a single thing that was going on in the movie and it was LONG.

About a month back I finally saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It was enjoyable enough, but did not draw me in to the Wizarding World like the first Potter movie did. I will surely watch the next four, but I am not expecting greatness.

the Q

Reaction Score
I distinctly remember when the bar for movie excellence was "Citizen Kane", and later "The Godfather" and "2001".

Murica. Yeah.

I can’t use a scale for the same genre of movies?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
About a month back I finally saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It was enjoyable enough, but did not draw me in to the Wizarding World like the first Potter movie did. I will surely watch the next four, but I am not expecting greatness.

I thought it was entertaining enough. There's something about Eddie Redmayne, he just seems like a weird guy and creeps me out a bit. I enjoyed the supporting cast more, Dan Fogler and Alison Sudol were both really charming I thought. That and I want a pet nifler (the kleptomanianc platypus type thing), I wonder where you can get one of those? Haven't seen the sequel yet.

Reaction Score
Not that you asked but...

Mano's Animated Movie Primer!

Every Christmas my wife and I go to visit my Dad in Pennsylvania, where a good chunk of my family will gather as well. I usually bring several movies for possible viewing, as does my brother in law. This time around my brother in law had "Spirited Away" with him. When he told me he had it with him, I was quite eager to see it.

Imagine that, a Japanese film that was the second winner of the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature (yes, the American rights to it had the backing of Disney, but it was hardly their production). We found it to be an excellent meandering fantasy tale that we enjoyed tremendously. Having now seen "Spirited Away", at some point I will be checking out some of Studio Ghibli's other works as well.

Reaction Score
Every Christmas my wife and I go to visit my Dad in Pennsylvania, where a good chunk of my family will gather as well. I usually bring several movies for possible viewing, as does my brother in law. This time around my brother in law had "Spirited Away" with him. When he told me he had it with him, I was quite eager to see it.

Imagine that, a Japanese film that was the second winner of the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature (yes, the American rights to it had the backing of Disney, but it was hardly their production). We found it to be an excellent meandering fantasy tale that we enjoyed tremendously. Having now seen "Spirited Away", at some point I will be checking out some of Studio Ghibli's other works as well.
You won’t be disappointed. I’m so glad you dug it. Their movies are quite unlike anything Disney could produce. Far more adult in theme and subject matter. I would go to Princess Mononoke from there. They are right at the top of Ghibli’s output. Enjoy!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rampage.

This one didn’t aspire to much, but it’s really one of the worst movies ever made.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Rampage.

This one didn’t aspire to much, but it’s really one of the worst movies ever made.

Maybe that is what it was aspiring to? I sometimes wonder if someone sets out to make a bad movie.

I glanced at some reviews for the new Will Ferrell/John C. Reilly flick Watson and Holmes. It's getting brutalized. Might give Rampage a run for its money for worst ever.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe that is what it was aspiring to? I sometimes wonder if someone sets out to make a bad movie.

I glanced at some reviews for the new Will Ferrell/John C. Reilly flick Watson and Holmes. It's getting brutalized. Might give Rampage a run for its money for worst ever.

Rampage is generically-bad in a “this is a Rock movie, so who cares” sort of way up until the last five minutes.

The last five minutes will have you wondering why some adult in the room didn’t stand up and yell, no, we can’t end a movie with a giant monkey faking its own death and then making a finger in the hole joke.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I went ahead and read the spoiler, because I decided based on the previews that was a movie I was going to skip. Skipping the Rock's jumping off a huge crane onto a skyscraper movie too. I think maybe I'm approaching saturation level for the Rock.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom