Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Recently watched “Pursuit of Happyness” and “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”.

Loved the the fact that in both movies we are reminded that we don’t need to enslaved by the government to find prosperity and/or a good time. Loved the spirit of self reliance in both. Millenials probably hate both of these movies.
What does the government have to do with Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

Reaction Score
I finally saw infinity war. It was a good movie but I think the best part of it is how they set up the future of the franchises

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dirty Dancing - strange movie to become such a hit. Way too slow, and the plot was really contrived around some dance numbers.

Patrick Swayze is the perfect example of how likability and good movie choices can overcome mediocre talent.

Jennifer Grey is the perfect example of how actresses should think really hard before getting plastic surgery. There was no reason to fix that nose.

Reaction Score
Really liked the Amy Winehouse doc. I definitely viewed her as a 2 dimensional character when she was alive and a megastar but the movie is heart breaking. She was surrounded by some grade A scumbags in her inner circle and she correctly predicted that she would not be able to handle fame..

Reaction Score
I saw Red Dragon for the first time. Not nearly as good as Silence of the Lambs but a decent watch.

Reaction Score
Tully - This one really connected with my wife (she having had our two kids 17 months apart recently). Charlize Theron gives a pretty raw performance of a wife/mother and the deleterious effects that postpartum depression can have.

Isle of Dogs - I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Wes Anderson has always had a striking visual style and it translates well to the stop-motion genre. @CardiacAndre7 check it out if you haven't already.

Justice League
- I'm not sure why I try and keep up with as many of the blockbusters as I do. At least it was better than Batman v Superman (not saying much).

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- Some great performances but the big event that occurs about halfway through ended up feeling like the emotional climax of the movie and kind of took the steam out of the rest of the film. Other things happened of course but they were all reactionary and I guess I was hoping that it would help propel the second half of the film to some kind of conclusion. Seems the point was more to feel the hopelessness. I would've given the supporting nod to Woody over Rockwell.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think I just watched an acid trip double feature (without actually ingesting any chemical substances).

"Higher Power" was a small budget sci fi thriller. Can't say much about it without spoiling it. A massive blast of gamma radiation is heading directly towards earth that will wipe us all out. A man that has thrown his life away is trying desperately to pull himself back together and reunite with his two estranged daughters. It is actually related. Some decent CGI for the scale of the film, interesting visuals. I enjoyed the first 2 or 3 seasons of "Eureka." The sheriff's daughter from that was one of the daughters in this film. I'd completely forgotten about her.

"How to Talk to Girls at Parties"...marketed as a indie odd ball comedy. It wasn't. Aliens (space aliens, not people from other countries just to clarify) hanging out in the suburbs of England for a little R and R and cultural enrichment. Mixed together with 3 adolescent boys caught up in the punk rock revolution. The big reveal a bit over halfway through really caught me off guard, not comedic at all. The aliens have some different customs than us earthlings. Definitely trippy. I kind of enjoyed it. The cast were mostly unknowns except for Elle Fanning.

oops, have to edit this to add that Nicole Kidman is definitely not an unknown actress, former A lister who isn't the box office draw she used to be

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tully - This one really connected with my wife (she having had our two kids 17 months apart recently). Charlize Theron gives a pretty raw performance of a wife/mother and the deleterious effects that postpartum depression can have.

Isle of Dogs - I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Wes Anderson has always had a striking visual style and it translates well to the stop-motion genre. @CardiacAndre7 check it out if you haven't already.

Justice League
- I'm not sure why I try and keep up with as many of the blockbusters as I do. At least it was better than Batman v Superman (not saying much).

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- Some great performances but the big event that occurs about halfway through ended up feeling like the emotional climax of the movie and kind of took the steam out of the rest of the film. Other things happened of course but they were all reactionary and I guess I was hoping that it would help propel the second half of the film to some kind of conclusion. Seems the point was more to feel the hopelessness. I would've given the supporting nod to Woody over Rockwell.

Tully had a good ending.

Reaction Score
Deadpool 2-Couldn’t see this in the theater, but it was really strong. Just as funny as the last one with tons of rewatchability.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've seen bits and pieces of "Ted 2" on tv, haven't watched the whole thing. Never really sucked me in. Just saw the last little bit, the Comic Con scene is pretty funny. Patrick Warburton dressed up as The Tick being a total d*** and picking on a bunch of attendees, and then Sam Jones/Flash Gordon attacking Mark Wahlberg's character and starting a brawl with all the cosplay/comic book nerds, good stuff!

Reaction Score

Just watched "Isle of Dogs" as well, and I totally agree with the above. With so much detail and so much stuff happening on screen, this one will certainly hold up for multiple viewings. I have to think this will at the very least get an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature. "Moonrise Kingdom" remains my favorite Wes Anderson film, but this one rates very high on my list of favorite Anderson movies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
American Animals.

A little odd in how it was paced, but very unique and interesting. Overall I enjoyed it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I finally saw infinity war. It was a good movie but I think the best part of it is how they set up the future of the franchises

I just saw it this weekend.

It was the longest movie in the history of the world. It took me two days to watch it all.

But it was entertaining.

We were on a cruise last week and saw two movies on the ship - the most recent Ant Man and Solo.

I really enjoyed both more than I thought I would.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Infinity War held up well on a second viewing for me. Somehow I missed this the first time. When Thanos is attempting to acquire one of the Infinity Stones from The Collector (played by Benicio del Toro) he asks "Where is the Stone?" in just about the exact same cadence as del Toro's character uttered the same phrase in "Snatch"
(opening scene with the heist).

Reaction Score
Really liked the Amy Winehouse doc. I definitely viewed her as a 2 dimensional character when she was alive and a megastar but the movie is heart breaking. She was surrounded by some grade A scumbags in her inner circle and she correctly predicted that she would not be able to handle fame..

I loved how they showed the lyrics on screen at times to accentuate how they were hitting her in her personal life at the time. Thought that was so well done.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"In Darkness" was fairly good. Starts out with a somewhat familiar premise--Natalie Dormer is a blind woman whose upstairs neighbor dies after falling out of a window. Dormer may or may not have heard something leading up to the death. However the plot goes way beyond what you initially think it's going to be about. A few parts didn't make any sense to me but the movie would've ended to soon I guess if they didn't have those "huh?" kind of moments.

Reaction Score
I just saw it this weekend.

It was the longest movie in the history of the world. It took me two days to watch it all.

But it was entertaining.

We were on a cruise last week and saw two movies on the ship - the most recent Ant Man and Solo.

I really enjoyed both more than I thought I would.
Ant-Man was fun. Paul Rudd is likable and Michael Pena was really funny.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I find so few comedies actually funny these days. "Tag" gave me some good laughs and was entertaining in general. Based on a true story about a group of adult men who have had a continuous game of tag going for 30+ years. Good cast. Ed Helms, Jeremy Renner, Jon Hamm, Jake Johnson and Hannibal Buress are the dudes involved in the game. The ladies are at least their equal--Isla Fisher, Annabelle Wallis, Leslie Bibb and Rashida Jones.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Upgrade" was pretty good for a low budget sci fi action movie. A man sees his wife murdered right in front of him and is left as a quadriplegic as a result of the attack. He eventually is the recipient of a top secret surgical procedure that grafts top of the line A.I. tech to his spinal column at the base of his neck that fully restores his physical capabilities, plus some. He of course then turns into a detective and goes on a revenge tour against everyone involved in the murder of his wife. Cast was pretty much completely unknown to me but did good enough.

Reaction Score
Murder on the Orient Express (2018): I should really watch the original. This one felt like it could've been a really entertaining whodunnit and was mostly competent, but still had the feeling of a remake that was trying to fruitlessly recreate the magic of the original. Still, enjoyable.

Deadpool 2: Stupid. Fun. Too much self-aware 4th wall stuff. Funny. Good action. 1st was better.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I go on little binges of watching Hong Kong/kung movies. This isn't exactly recent but I only heard of it recently. Tai Chi Zero. A bit like Kung Hustle, which I absolutely loved. Combines some good fighting and action scenes with a healthy does of whimsy and humor. Add a dash of steam punk and even a bit of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World style. An odd mixture to be sure, but I enjoyed it. It has a complete non-ending, but that's because there's a sequel that picks up where this leaves off apparently. Will have to check that out soon as well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just watched Singing in the Rain all the way through for the first time. Very entertaining.

Reaction Score
Just watched Singing in the Rain all the way through for the first time. Very entertaining.

Singin' in the Rain is simply a great movie. In my mind it is possibly the best musical ever. I'm also a fan of silent film, so I also love in this movie how they treat the transition from silent film to the talkies, they do it very well.

Reaction Score
Just saw "Loving Vincent" the animated feature that explored the life, death, and artwork of Vincent Van Gogh. It is an excellent piece of animation, which richly deserved its Academy Award nomination for Best Animated Feature. By the way, when it comes to the Best Animated Feature nominations, I recommend that people pay attention to the lesser known works that often get nominated. The well known mass audience stuff from companies like Disney and Pixar will almost always win, but the lesser known features from around the world are almost always well worth seeing. It's how I became aware of such marvelous animated features like Triplets of Belleville, Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea, Kubo and the Two Strings, and the Red Turtle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom