Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017

Reaction Score
Not all movies demand their own thread but I thought it'd be a nice idea to have a place to dump your thoughts or to dump on whatever movie you might've just seen. I suppose spoilers may follow since you the dear reader won't be warned going in. I'll start with my most recently watched.

Alien: Covenant

I'm probably one of the few people that actually enjoyed Prometheus (a movie I thought did an admirable job of hinting at the beginnings of the larger Alien universe) but all that groundwork was laid to waste with this direct sequel. I knew once
Noomi Rapace
wasn't returning that I shouldn't get my hopes up and that was revealed to be prudent once I watched it. The direction they went with the story just felt insubstantial and lacking in gravitas. Too bad, just beautiful cinematography wasted on such a dull story.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

A pretty darn fun follow-up to the first. I quite enjoyed where they went with Quill's origin story. I'm ready for more.

Ghost In The Shell

Probably not a popular genre on here but I just love feature length Japanese anime. I've always been a fan of hand drawn illustration/animation and anime by and large is the last bastion of the craft. So needless to say I'm a big fan of the original and of course had to watch Hollywood's take on the material. It was meh. I can forgive the white washing, it is a tinseltown production after all, but I can't forgive the dumbing down of the story. They really went out of their way to spell out some of the things the original left up to you to figure out. Connections the viewer made that made the journey more impactful in the end. Too bad but not entirely surprising. I still think Rupert Sanders has some amazing films in his future though, just needs to find a story that can match up to his visuals.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Guardians 2 Very good, but I preferred the first one

Wonder Woman Solid movie, well done

Nothing Left to Fear Creepy, a bit scary but lacking in explanation

The Conjuring 2 Solid horror stuff. My history with the Warrens always makes these movies even more interesting for me.

Reaction Score
The Conjuring 2 Solid horror stuff. My history with the Warrens always makes these movies even more interesting for me.
Do tell more. Thought the first one was pretty decent (for a horror movie), have had the second on my DVR for ages now.

Reaction Score
Glengarry Glen Ross - One of those movies I should have seen a long time ago. Very good, yet depressing, movie with a great cast. The Alec Baldwin scene is classic, can see why it's made its way into popular culture.

Kong : Skull Island - Been discussed here already. I struggled to get through it and unfortunately will never get the time back that I spent watching it.

The Insider - Third or fourth time I've seen it (lost count). Russel Crowe is great, as is Al Pacino and Christopher Plummer. Based on a true story, some great scenes. I love this scene:

Godzilla (2014) - Surprisingly good movie. I found it dragged a little bit in parts, but overall it's a pretty high-quality movie both in story and execution. It's the opposite of Kong above.

Margin Call - Just watched this for the fourth time the other night. I love this movie - it's quiet and understated, and absolutely terrifying to think that this stuff really went on (firm in film is modeled after Lehman Brothers). Very good cast, as always Jeremy Irons is riveting, and Kevin Spacey is very good. I'm guilty of loving Demi Moore for the eye candy she lends to the film, although she delivers acting-wise too. Other supporting actors very solid too, and the story is great.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Do tell more. Thought the first one was pretty decent (for a horror movie), have had the second on my DVR for ages now.

Similar to the first. They are in the UK for another "true story" case. There is a little more backstory on them in this one. I need to watch Annabelle.

I assume people know that they are from Connecticut. Back in the 80's they did a traveling presentation on college campuses, and always came to UConn. It tended to scare the poop out of people. My freshman and sophomore year, living in Towers, the guy across the hall from me was their grandson, Chris (went by Flounder). He would go on cases with them sometimes, and told stories that were truly frightening. He set us up with a private meet and greet before one of their shows, and so we got to meet the Warrens. Lorraine is definitely psychic. No ifs ands or butts about it. I also narrowly avoided being involved in a case, since Chris needed a ride to one they wanted him to investigate. Thank God for midterms, because the guy that drove him did not have a good experience.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Glengarry Glen Ross - One of those movies I should have seen a long time ago. Very good, yet depressing, movie with a great cast. The Alec Baldwin scene is classic, can see why it's made its way into popular culture.

Kong : Skull Island - Been discussed here already. I struggled to get through it and unfortunately will never get the time back that I spent watching it.

The Insider - Third or fourth time I've seen it (lost count). Russel Crowe is great, as is Al Pacino and Christopher Plummer. Based on a true story, some great scenes. I love this scene:

Godzilla (2014) - Surprisingly good movie. I found it dragged a little bit in parts, but overall it's a pretty high-quality movie both in story and execution. It's the opposite of Kong above.

Margin Call - Just watched this for the fourth time the other night. I love this movie - it's quiet and understated, and absolutely terrifying to think that this stuff really went on (firm in film is modeled after Lehman Brothers). Very good cast, as always Jeremy Irons is riveting, and Kevin Spacey is very good. I'm guilty of loving Demi Moore for the eye candy she lends to the film, although she delivers acting-wise too. Other supporting actors very solid too, and the story is great.

Margin Call is really good.

Centurion (2010) - this was a straight to video movie with Michael Fassbender about a Roman centurion vs. some Picts in 2nd or 3rd century Britain. It feels like a subtle ripoff of Apocalypto. Despite that, it is just a well done little movie. Olga Kurylenko is awesome is the main villain. It is on NetFlix now.

Gold (2016) - Mathew McConaughey movie loosely based on the Bre-X scandal of the 90's. This movie is OK, but something is missing. I can't put my finger on the film's problem, but it should have been better with the subject matter and the cast.

Black Mass (2014) - Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulger. This movie is really good. I think Depp-fatigue hurt it at the theaters and with the critics, because I think Depp deserved an Oscar nomination for his portrayal.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Margin Call is really good.

Centurion (2010) - this was a straight to video movie with Michael Fassbender about a Roman centurion vs. some Picts in 2nd or 3rd century Britain. It feels like a subtle ripoff of Apocalypto. Despite that, it is just a well done little movie. Olga Kurylenko is awesome is the main villain. It is on NetFlix now.

Gold (2016) - Mathew McConaughey movie loosely based on the Bre-X scandal of the 90's. This movie is OK, but something is missing. I can't put my finger on the film's problem, but it should have been better with the subject matter and the cast.

Black Mass (2014) - Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulger. This movie is really good. I think Depp-fatigue hurt it at the theaters and with the critics, because I think Depp deserved an Oscar nomination for his portrayal.

Black Mass is good, even though it deviates from the reality quite a bit.

I would include Gold in that surprisingly good category. Watched it on a plane. Interesting story and a different role for MM

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Black Mass is good, even though it deviates from the reality quite a bit.

I would include Gold in that surprisingly good category. Watched it on a plane. Interesting story and a different role for MM

I knew the family of one of Bulger's victims. It was relatively close to the facts for a movie.

I can not pinpoint my problem with Gold, but something is just off with the film.

I forgot one:

The Founder (2016) - Michael Keaton as Ray Kroc, the "founder" of McDonald's. It's a biopic, and has biopic problems (a little slow, falls in love with the protagonist, secondary characters are not developed enough), but it was worth the watch. I really like Linda Cardellini in everything she does.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I knew the family of one of Bulger's victims. It was relatively close to the facts for a movie.

I can not pinpoint my problem with Gold, but something is just off with the film.

I forgot one:

The Founder (2016) - Michael Keaton as Ray Kroc, the "founder" of McDonald's. It's a biopic, and has biopic problems (a little slow, falls in love with the protagonist, secondary characters are not developed enough), but it was worth the watch. I really like Linda Cardellini in everything she does.

Yes, I lived in Southie for two years and my wife did for close to 10. We met several of them. It hit the main notes pretty well, while missing on others.

Reaction Score
Free Fire - Was really hoping for more from this, the rapport of the quality cast lent itself to some decent banter, but it all mostly felt pointless in the end. Thought the stunt work would be better considering the premise.

A Cure for Wellness - From the reviews I didn't go in expecting a world beater and it was entirely too predictable for its own good, but the atmosphere and set design really helped to draw me in. Not great by any stretch but I enjoyed seeing it unfold.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Look Who's Back (currently on Netflix).

In German with subtitles.

Hitler wakes up in 2014 Berlin. After adjusting to his new environment, Adolf recognizes the time and situation is right for a Fourth Reich and uses TV, social media and good old pressing the palms to become the most popular celebrity in Germany.

It's a thought-provoking comedy.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I enjoyed that as well. In addition to a fearsome Olga Kurylenko, it also features Imogen Poots in a small but pivotal role. I've been a bit obsessed with her ever since, that was the first time I saw her on screen.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Cinderella - With Lily James and Cate Blanchette. Visually awesome (it's Disney!). Got home from IWWC meeting and came across it. Entertaining.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed that as well. In addition to a fearsome Olga Kurylenko, it also features Imogen Poots in a small but pivotal role. I've been a bit obsessed with her ever since, that was the first time I saw her on screen.
Imogen Poots: WOW.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Iomgen is pretty obsession worthy. I noticed her in 28 weeks later, which I watched this summer. That was pretty decent by the way, but involved way too much utter stupidity.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

If you liked Margin Call, check out The Big Short. It begins a few years before the housing market crash and explains how mortgage backed securities (and other such instruments) came to be. It also explains the tedious financial concepts (and they were. Even for a CPA.) in layman's terms. The casting knocks it out of the park as well. You hardly remember you are watching Steve Carell or Christian Bale, though Ryan Gosling sort of reprises his role from Stupid. Crazy. Love., only a bit more douchy.

Reaction Score
Iomgen is pretty obsession worthy. I noticed her in 28 weeks later, which I watched this summer. That was pretty decent by the way, but involved way too much utter stupidity.
Eh, she's ok. Not my cup of tea really, but not bad for a skinny white girl. Pretty though.

She was pretty good in Green Room. A punk rock band unwittingly takes a gig at a neo nazi retreat, witnesses a murder and havoc ensues as they try and escape. Solid little flick, one of Anton Yelchin's last ones, and a good turn by Patrick Stewart as the plotting neo nazi big bad.

Anyway that tangent will allow me to segue to this tangent: Jeremy Saulnier who directed Green Room (as well as Blue Ruin, another little indie gem), just signed on to direct the 3rd season of True Detective, which no matter what you thought about the 2nd season after the superlative 1st is great news.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

just watched THE BIG SHORT I think on Netflix. Very succinct and to the point: the housing crisis was created by Wall Street Fraud. Some people recognized the problem in 2005, were laughed at, but ended up making a lot of money shorting the market. Movie is based on true characters. And in the end, correctly points out that NO ONE was prosecuted for the fraud that was committed, and taxpayers bailed out the banks. A must see.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
RocknRolla (2007) - Guy Ritchie movie that is exactly what you would expect. Mark Strong is really good, as is most of the cast. Lots of plot twists, clever one liners, and eccentric characters. Entertaining.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
During the end credits of RocknRolla, Ritchie promises the gang will return in a sequel. Sadly I don't think that's ever going to happen. He was just regaining his form from his earlier days (Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels; Snatch), then got distracted doing Sherlock Holmes and King Arthur movies. I'd love to see him return to his roots, movies about modern day grimy London two bit crooks, gangsters and hustlers doing their thing. It's what he does best.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
During the end credits of RocknRolla, Ritchie promises the gang will return in a sequel. Sadly I don't think that's ever going to happen. He was just regaining his form from his earlier days (Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels; Snatch), then got distracted doing Sherlock Holmes and King Arthur movies. I'd love to see him return to his roots, movies about modern day grimy London two bit crooks, gangsters and hustlers doing their thing. It's what he does best.

A sequel to RocknRolla is probably not in the cards, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ritchie goes back to his roots with his next movie.

Reaction Score
RocknRolla (2007) - Guy Ritchie movie that is exactly what you would expect. Mark Strong is really good, as is most of the cast. Lots of plot twists, clever one liners, and eccentric characters. Entertaining.

Guy Ritchie is literally the most mediocre of successful directors. I'll pass.

I was bored and had some time last summer in Seattle, I went and saw his King Arthur movie and I walked out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Guy Ritchie is literally the most mediocre of successful directors. I'll pass.

I was bored and had some time last summer in Seattle, I went and saw his King Arthur movie and I walked out.

How do you not like Snatch? Are you 80 years old?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom