Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017

Reaction Score
I don't know why but this movie makes me think of "ST Vincent". Bill Murray has done the occasional really touching movie over the course of his career. "St Vincent" and "Meatballs" are two that come to mind. Another movie that does not have Bill Murray but in a similar vein is "Cannery Row". A really humorous movie in a sad sort of way. I told someone I found the movie very funny and they said it was hard to think of Steinbeck as funny but after he watched the movie he said it put the story in an entirely different perspective.

I saw St. Vincent during one of my Bill Murray kicks a few years ago. While you don't expect Murray to be quite this ornery, he carries it off. It is well worth seeing.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I watched Avengers Infinity War this morning. I enjoyed it but I’m a diehard fan. This is one of the first Marvel movies in which I feel that your have to watch at least 3-4 prior movies to fully understand it. This is also the first Marvel movie in which they could’ve flashed the words “ to be continued” across the screen at the end. Overall a good movie.

Reaction Score
I watched Avengers Infinity War this morning. I enjoyed it but I’m a diehard fan. This is one of the first Marvel movies in which I feel that your have to watch at least 3-4 prior movies to fully understand it. This is also the first Marvel movie in which they could’ve flashed the words “ to be continued” across the screen at the end. Overall a good movie.

Spoiler alert.

Reaction Score

I didn’t like it the same way I like Ragnarok, but it was pretty fun and hard to nail a movie that is so ensemble, but they did it. Hey Looking forward to reading about all of the Easter eggs I missed.

Reaction Score
Finally saw Black Panther. Very good although a bit overrated given the huge hype. The lead is great and Michael B Jordan was a good bad guy.

Next up is Avengers Infinity War.

Reaction Score
I don't know why but this movie makes me think of "ST Vincent". Bill Murray has done the occasional really touching movie over the course of his career. "St Vincent" and "Meatballs" are two that come to mind. Another movie that does not have Bill Murray but in a similar vein is "Cannery Row". A really humorous movie in a sad sort of way. I told someone I found the movie very funny and they said it was hard to think of Steinbeck as funny but after he watched the movie he said it put the story in an entirely different perspective.
Wait, Meatballs is really touching? I mean Wrudy the Wrabbit does win the big cross country race, gains acceptance and vows to come back to camp next year, but c'mon.

Next you'll tell me that after Meatballs and My Bodyguard you had Chris Makepeace destined for a big career and you are adding him to the 'Actors that should have been Bigger Stars' thread ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Saw Infinity War today. I've thought it before, the Russo brothers should direct all of the Marvel Studios movies. They're just better at it than everybody else.

Reaction Score
I finally got around to seeing Shape of Water. I enjoyed it tremendously. Not quite on the same level as Pan's Labyrinth, but between the two of them quite a one-two punch for any director.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Saw Avengers - Infinity War yesterday. Certainly entertaining. I won't provide any spoilers, but it left a lot...a real lot, left to be decided and determined. It was more like the first movie of the Lord of the Rings than a single, discrete story.

I liked the new look for Captain America. Mark Ruffalo is so annoying as David Banner. ScarJo went blonde. Rocket continues to be funny as hell.

Reaction Score
Black Panther - Finally had a chance to see it, and it mostly didn't disappoint. Besides the villain feeling like something of a waste and a few spots of really shoddy CGI, it was an otherwise good time. Really well done action and a cool intro into this character's world.

Game Night - Was hoping for better based on the reviews. It was alright but mostly just "blah". The twists weren't too hard to see coming and the stakes never really felt too high, taking the oomph out of much of the plot. Could've used more laughs.

Reaction Score
Saw Avengers - Infinity War yesterday. Certainly entertaining. I won't provide any spoilers, but it left a lot...a real lot, left to be decided and determined. It was more like the first movie of the Lord of the Rings than a single, discrete story.

I liked the new look for Captain America. Mark Ruffalo is so annoying as David Banner. ScarJo went blonde. Rocket continues to be funny as hell.

The Thor/Guardians stuff was great. Hell, it was all great in my opinion, and I thought Josh Brolin was great as Thanos. Back to Thor for a second, I am really impressed with his character arc and I hope they manage to keep that going.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sometimes I'm cheap and like to wait for movies to hit the second run theater if it's a flick I don't feel like I have to see right away. Finally saw "Ready Player One." Certainly entertaining, not great but not bad. Quite a bit different than the book, which is probably true of most adaptations but this one seemed really different from what I can remember of the book.

Reaction Score
I watched The Big Sick last night and it was really good. Didn't realize it was based on a true story until after

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Watched American Made last night. Quirky, entertaining. Cruise is pretty good, if about 20 years too old.

15-20 years ago, Cruise would have been perfect for this role. He is way too old for it now.

I liked the movie too, but Cruise's age was distracting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Had a nice Father's Day treat seeing Hearts Beat Loud today with my three daughters. Very sweet, touching indie film. Nick Offerman is great, as is Kiersey Clemons, who was unknown to me but I suspect she won't be under the radar for long--very talented.

Good father-daughter, slice of life movie, and a good music movie, with an interesting sideline of a queer teen romance. More of that than I thought there would be, but PG-13; nonetheless apparently too much for two older women in front of us who walked out during the second kissing scene, midway through the movie. I made a mental note to see how long it would take one of my daughters to mention their walkout after the movie: less than a minute in the car. Funny. They have no idea how different the world is now than the one in which we were raised.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Saw the Incredibles II today. It was great, on par with the first. I was a bit worried about the 14 year gap since the first one, but turns out there was no reason to be. Seems to me like Pixar has stumbled in recent years but they knocked it out of the park with this one. As much as I enjoy many of the Marvel films, I gotta say this is the best superhero franchise in cinema history.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Wind River

A murder mystery between Indian reservation land and Federal lands.

Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen star. Pretty good movie.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Late to the party, finally saw "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri." I guess I shouldn't be surprised I was disappointed. Happens more often than not with Oscar bait films. Just an ugly movie. Angry, hateful characters, multiple violent acts committed in public that seem to happen with no consequences to the perpetrator. Complete non ending. And certainly not the biggest quibble, but Abbie Cornish's natural Australian accent was turned on and off like a light switch. I've seen her in plenty enough films to know she can do an American accent perfectly well. Was the director unable to decide throughout filming what nationality he wanted her to be depicting? There were some good performances but they were basically wasted in this film.

All of the events of the film relate to the unsolved murder of Frances McDormand's daughter. She only appears in one flashback scene, but it's a doozy. Kind of ground things to a halt.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I watched The Men Who Stare at Goats on the plane yesterday. Funny in parts, but fairly aimless and it starts to fall apart and become a bit of a mess. Clooney is pretty good in it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nobody's Fool with Paul Newman, Jessica Tandy, Bruce Willis, Melanie Griffith and Philip Seymour Hoffman in one of his first roles. Just a simple, enjoyable movie. Loved the book too.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Nexflix movie called "What Happened To Monday." Very good.

Pretty hot Noomi Rapace (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) plays the role of 7 sisters in a world that kills siblings due to wild overpopulation.

High recommendation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Black Panther - Absolutely bored the crap out of me. I am easily amused and it still didn’t keep my attention. Why do people like this movie?

Whatever the Last Star Wars Movie was Called - Just saw the Star Wars movie that was released last year. Not the Han Solo one, the one with Luke Skywalker. It was not great. I like parts of it, but the Kylo Ren villain is pretty weak. Daisy Ridley’s Rey and Kira Knightly’s character in Pirates of the Caribbean are exactly the same person, but one’s in space and the other is on a boat.

I don’t really get the controversy about Luke Skywalker.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
"Death Wish" with Bruce Willis.

Basically it was a pay check for Bruce. Nothing groundbreaking but two cool murder graphics. It's two hours...you have to be real bored for this one.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
"Calibre" on Netflix.

Edinburgh Film Festival winner for Best British Film. We really enjoyed this one! High rec.

2 city Scots go hunting. Accidentally, then purposely they kill some locals and the paranoia builds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom