Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017

Reaction Score
Get Out is more than just a good horror movie. It was one of the best films of 2017. The Best Picture Oscar nomination is no mistake.
Yes, it is. I watched it last summer because I saw it getting a lot of attention. Yeah, pretty good. When I heard it got Oscar noms, I literally laughed out loud. Ridiculous.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Saw the new version of "Murder on the Orient Express." Never saw the 1974 version, now I'm curious to compare it. I enjoyed it for the most part, but the end went a bit off the deep end for me. Not sure if it is the same as the original or if they tweaked it. Also have not read the Agatha Christie novel it is based on. Good ensemble cast. Interesting to see Daisy Ridley as a character other than Rey from Star Wars. Was also intriguing to see Lucy Boynton, who was the love interest from "Sing Street." She seemed vaguely familiar, but I never would've figured out where I recognized her from w/out looking it up.

Reaction Score
Watched annihilation this past weekend. Really good movie, not a classic, but overall very solid. If you liked arrival or ex machina (the filmmakers previous movie) you'll probably like this one.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I watched "Lady Bird" last night. I have to say I was a bit disappointed given all I had heard about it. I think much of the movie is so specific about a mother-daughter relationship, I couldn't really relate. I'm not a female, so I've never been a teenage girl, a daughter or a mother. I found much of the movie to be very mundane. I thought the mom was fairly awful. Just could not bring herself to ever compliment her daughter or be supportive. Of course she loved her daughter, but as Lady Bird pointed out she didn't seem to like her at all.

I watched a making of featurette after I was done with the movie. I actually enjoyed that significantly more than the film itself. I realize Greta Gerwig is too young to play the mother and too old to play the daughter, but she was so charming during this segment that I found myself thinking the film would've been much better if she somehow could've been onscreen.

Reaction Score
I watched Lady Bird over the weekend. While I don’t think it is a great film, I found it very good. I also suspect that it is very possible that I would like and appreciate this film even more if I were to see it a second time, as I felt it growing on me as time went by. At any rate, it is a worthy addition to recent teenager/high school films such as “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl”, “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”, and “Edge of Seventeen”. Even so, I agree with what @nwhoopfan says about the mother, she could use a good lesson of diplomacy in dealing with her daughter, thinking before speaking.

Aside from the mother/daughter relationship, there is simply a lot of other stuff packed into Lady Bird as the title character tries to navigate a typically confusing teenage world, not always making the best decisions along the way, but eventually learning about life and relationships through the various trials and experiences she goes through. Big props belong to Greta Gerwig and Saoirse Ronan in creating this title character.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I watched Lady Bird over the weekend. While I don’t think it is a great film, I found it very good. I also suspect that it is very possible that I would like and appreciate this film even more if I were to see it a second time, as I felt it growing on me as time went by. At any rate, it is a worthy addition to recent teenager/high school films such as “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl”, “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”, and “Edge of Seventeen”. Even so, I agree with what @nwhoopfan says about the mother, she could use a good lesson of diplomacy in dealing with her daughter, thinking before speaking.

Aside from the mother/daughter relationship, there is simply a lot of other stuff packed into Lady Bird as the title character tries to navigate a typically confusing teenage world, not always making the best decisions along the way, but eventually learning about life and relationships through the various trials and experiences she goes through. Big props belong to Greta Gerwig and Saoirse Ronan in creating this title character.
As the father of three daughters, I found it very accurate in many respects. I believe the mother is portrayed the way she is (i.e., almost extreme enough to be a caricature) to drive home one of the major themes Gerwig wanted to explore, which is whether attention is the same thing as caring—the question posed to Lady Bird by the nun. I also believe a lot of it was autobiographical for Gerwig, who I think grew up in Sacramento and attended Barnard.

Reaction Score
As the father of three daughters, I found it very accurate in many respects. I believe the mother is portrayed the way she is (i.e., almost extreme enough to be a caricature) to drive home one of the major themes Gerwig wanted to explore, which is whether attention is the same thing as caring—the question posed to Lady Bird by the nun. I also believe a lot of it was autobiographical for Gerwig, who I think grew up in Sacramento and attended Barnard.

My sister currently lives in a Sacramento suburb. I saw her at Christmas along with the rest of my family. She and her husband were talking about Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird, and Sacramento, including the various locations that made it into the film. She most certainly agrees with the Gerwig line that Sacramento is the midwest of California.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I just watched Daddy’s Home 2. Great, funny family entertainment. Gibson and Lithgow do a fantastic job.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Gerwig is from Sacramento. I think the movie is a kind of love letter to the city. Also she has said it is not autobiographical, but certainly inspired by her own experiences growing up. She did attend a Catholic school as Lady Bird did.

If you happen to watch the movie on DVD, it's really worth taking an extra 10 minutes or so and check out the "making of" bit in the extra features.

Reaction Score
Gerwig is from Sacramento. I think the movie is a kind of love letter to the city. Also she has said it is not autobiographical, but certainly inspired by her own experiences growing up. She did attend a Catholic school as Lady Bird did.

If you happen to watch the movie on DVD, it's really worth taking an extra 10 minutes or so and check out the "making of" bit in the extra features.

I did watch Lady Bird on DVD, so I watched the "making of" feature last night. And yes, it was quite informative. It certainly sounds like Greta Gerwig knew what she was doing as a first time director, and she showed a lot of smarts in the process.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I watched "Split" several days ago. I've been avoiding M. Night Shyamalan movies for years, but decided to give this one a try. I found it to be very intriguing and quite well done. James McAvoy did a great job as a character with multiple personalities, always a challenge to convey. Two of the young actresses I'd seen once or twice before, and I've been impressed with them previously and again in this film--Anya Taylor-Joy and Hailey Lu Richardson. I also mostly avoid horror movies, although this was really more of a psychological thriller. It did contain a brief scene with some gore.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Watched "Blood Money" with John Cusack as a guy who steals 8M. His plan was to parachute from a cessna-like plane with the 4 bags of loot. Money bags land in a river and floats away. He lands in the woods and goes to get it. Some rapids riding friends find it first and greed takes over.

Decent film. Some poor "no way" moments but worth a watch when bored.

Reaction Score
Ferdinand - Watched it with my wife and 17-month-old, or in reality, it was on in the background as we played and read to her, and caught snippets of it when she wasn’t puttering around. Meh, nothing great, nothing terrible. The old Disney animated short was way better.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Watched "Blood Money" with John Cusack as a guy who steals 8M. His plan was to parachute from a cessna-like plane with the 4 bags of loot. Money bags land in a river and floats away. He lands in the woods and goes to get it. Some rapids riding friends find it first and greed takes over.

Decent film. Some poor "no way" moments but worth a watch when bored.

I saw it last week. It was pretty bad. Cusack was OK. The girl was awful.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Justice League. Not very good. Why can’t the make decent movies in the DC comics universe? The storytelling is awful. Gal Gadot is gorgeous, but they sexied her up too much. The Aquaman actor is terrible.

Reaction Score
Just saw Darkest Hour. Good solid movie that keeps your attention all through its 2 hour running time. Gary Oldman is something else as Winston Churchill, just disappearing into the part as he won the Oscar. Funny thing, two other movies that were released last year also concern themselves with 1940 Britain during the depths of World War II. These other movies are Dunkirk and Their Finest. All three of these films are solid, and together would make for an interesting film festival.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Justice League. Not very good. Why can’t the make decent movies in the DC comics universe? The storytelling is awful. Gal Gadot is gorgeous, but they sexied her up too much. The Aquaman actor is terrible.

I'll probably still watch it, but every trailer I've seen for it just looks terrible. Not even slightly surprised it's not good.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I saw The Nice Guys with Russell Crowe and Ryan Gossling last Wednesday during the storm based on the Bill Burr podcast. He said the comedy remind him of Midnight Run.

I didn't find it to be that exactly, but it was enjoyable enough to not turn off.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Hornet's Nest on Amazon Prime. ABC News war correspondent Mike Boettcher and son embedded in Afghanistan in a couple battles, last one particularly bad. Gripping - and real. Really gives you a much better idea of what it's like there and why some of these guys re-up in such a wasteland.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
"Maudie".

My wife started watching this true-story movie while I was cooking dinner. I was sucked in. Very nice movie with Sally Hawkins and Etahn Hawke.

Reaction Score
The Mummy - Bleh.

Live By Night - Meh.

Atomic Blonde -

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So was looking for a movie to break up the Netflix tv show monotony. Decided to give "V for Vendetta" a try. It's older, and was poorly advertised when it came out. It's a Vertigo comics title, and those have often been solid, despite regular DC comic based movies being mostly trash.

Really liked it quite a lot, to my surprise. Wife did as well. It has some elements of 1984, plus some elements of 12 Monkeys. It couldn't be more timely really, as we discuss the tradeoffs inherent between safety and liberty, chaos and totalitarianism. Hugo Weaving uses his spectacular voice to great effect, and Natalie Portman is cute and handles her role nicely. It's a bit of a throwback for her, to the first movie I saw her in, The Professional.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Saw it around a year ago, just watched it for the second time--"Morgan." I think I liked it better the second time around. Although not very original or groundbreaking, it gets off to a good start setting the scene. Kate Mara is a corporate risk management analyst sent to a top secret research facility where a team of scientists is participating in a project where they have created an artificial synthetic humanoid that is enhanced. The subject attacked one of the staff and now everyone is on edge. The project has been going on for 5 years (the subject has accelerated growth and development), they all view it w/ a parental kind of perspective and have lost objectivity. Where it goes from there has been seen before. There is the problem of a group of intelligent people collectively making very dumb decisions. The part that really troubled me was Paul Giamatti's psychologist brought in from outside the project to do an evaluation. I can't understand what he was trying to accomplish, unless it was exactly what happened, although that doesn't make much sense. Anyway. Fairly interesting sci fi/thriller, economical running time at about 90 minutes. Anya Taylor-Joy played the synthetic being, she's a very promising young actress. A couple other fairly well known actors in smaller roles.

Lately I've been checking out the extra features on DVDs more than I used to. This one had an interesting short documentary looking at the emerging science of gene therapy and the potential for genetic manipulation.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So was looking for a movie to break up the Netflix tv show monotony. Decided to give "V for Vendetta" a try. It's older, and was poorly advertised when it came out. It's a Vertigo comics title, and those have often been solid, despite regular DC comic based movies being mostly trash.

This came on the heels of the Wachowski's Matrix trilogy (note--I thought they directed it, but they didn't; they were the screenwriters and coproducers), so expectations were fairly high. It was considered a bomb IIRC. I've seen it a couple times, I enjoyed it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom