Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Alien was Ridley Scott's masterpiece. Although fans of Gladiator might disagree. In any event, Alien Covenant was just another rip off of the original film, going back to James Cameron's ridiculous sequel. In the original film (a marvel of sets, acting, lighting, musical score) we see the miracle of Ripley, with all her crew mates dead, finally killing the "perfect organism" that has a skeleton made of steel and has acid for blood. The character "Ash" and his dieing words in response to Ripley's question about how to kill the creature..."you can't...it's structural integrity is matched only by it's hostility". Then in Cameron's stupid sequel you get the impression that anyone with a rapid fire BB gun can kill hundreds of Aliens and blow them all to pieces, complete with death screeches like someone just ran over some squirrels.
I don't remember a steel skeleton. The reason why a single alien was so tough in space was that it's blood could potentially cause a hull breach. That wasn't an issue on the planet so they could shoot at it just so long as they didn't get any of the blood on them. I think Aliens is a great sequel in that it isn't just the original redone. Alien is about suspense, Aliens is a full out war flick.

Reaction Score
I don't remember a steel skeleton. The reason why a single alien was so tough in space was that it's blood could potentially cause a hull breach. That wasn't an issue on the planet so they could shoot at it just so long as they didn't get any of the blood on them. I think Aliens is a great sequel in that it isn't just the original redone. Alien is about suspense, Aliens is a full out war flick.
Well not really steel but another metal. You don't have a very good memory then, surely though you could see how the grown Alien turns from the flesh like baby with metal teeth that came out of Caine's chest to one that looked highly metallic and had that long metal killing clap trap? You don't recall the scene between Ash and Ripley in the medical lab? Where Ash explains to her the creature "has a funny little habit of shedding it cells and replacing them with polarized silicon, making him one tough little son of a bitch." Shortly after that the creature is full grown and has an exoskeleton made of silicon which is a very hard metal. It's interesting how in the successive sequels the metal clap trap killing mouth was deemphasized. Steel was a bad choice of words, sorry.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Aliens was a great sequel.

Bladerunner was better than Alien. I don’t think Ridley Scott has made a good movie since Black Hawk Down.

Reaction Score

Bladerunner was better than Alien. I don’t think Ridley Scott has made a good movie since Black Hawk Down.
I disagree, I thought the original Alien film was Ridley Scott's masterpiece, and it's what made him as a director. The sets, the lighting, the casting, the acting, HR Giger's artistic renditions. The special effects for a film made in 1979 are stunning, as was the haunting musical score. Liked Bladerunner too, but just think Alien was better.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
We recently watched "Creep" on the Netflix. Have to admit, I thought this one was pretty good. Mark Duplass is a serial killer hiring videographers to tape him for a day to make a video for his son (Duplass' character has cancer and is dying). He kills them all over time.

Pretty good. I see there is a Creep 2.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just watched Goon. Might be heresy, but I believe I enjoyed it more than even Slap Shot.

It's a dumb movie on a dumb (but mostly true) premise and I've never liked Seann William Scott in anything, but he made this work. Twas a fun watch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Kingdom of Heaven and American Gangster were both very good movies.

Reaction Score
Marshall - great film.

The early days of Thurgood Marshall - set in Bridgeport - about one of his early cases.

Reaction Score
Just saw Wind River. Depressing but good. Renner is excellent. Worth watching.

Reaction Score
Recently watched Edge of Seventeen. Very good high school comedy drama of a teen who is too smart for her own good who also just doesn't fit in with everyone else. The kid also suffers from all the usual angst that is common to that age. Hailee Steinfeld excellent in the lead role. Woody Harrelson good in support as one of her teachers. Definitely worth seeing.

This film puts to mind a couple of other recent teens in high school movies that I've seen over the last few years, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, and Perks of Being a Wallflower. While I thought Edge of Seventeen was very good, these other two films were terrific. Still, all three are quite worth seeing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Great Wall - A not at all unexpected mediocre movie. Silly story, cruddy CGI, and so so action. Matt Damon's implaceable accent was a joke throughout. Still, somewhat watcheable, although it being 1 am and me not being able to sleep might have had something to do with it.

Reaction Score
The LEGO Batman Movie - They really delivered a humorous, breathlessly paced, quality action movie packaged in LEGO trappings. I quite enjoyed it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Saw Three Bill boards outside Ebbing, Missouri this weekend.

It was phenomenal. Very dark plot, but it had some fairly humorous moments. Frances McDormond was her typical tour de force.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

It was phenomenal. Very dark plot, but it had some fairly humorous moments. Frances McDormond was her typical tour de force.
That's next on my list this week.

I saw Lady Bird and The Shape of Water this weekend.

I expected to like the latter better, but ended up preferring Lady Bird as between the two. Saorise Ronan, whom I loved in Brooklyn, is even better here. Great supporting cast, too. Very good, real movie with endearing, real characters.

The Shape of Water is much more ambitious and I expect it will get more buzz for that reason, and it is pretty interesting and very well done. I am all for movies as escapism and usually don't have a problem suspending disbelief for a good ride, but for some reason this pushed it a touch too far for me in too many spots. A little darker than I expected, and a little more obvious/predictable in some spots, too. Still very enjoyable, but I expected a little more given the buzz.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That's next on my list this week.

You'd better hurry. It's been in theaters for about 5 weeks, which is about the end of the run these days, unless you're talking about Titanic, Avatar, Star Wars or another heavily hyped movie that is supposed to make a ton of revenue.

I had intended on seeing Roman J. Israel, Esq. but it was only showing as a matinee. My wife hasn't seen The Force Awakens yet so that ruled out The Last Jedi. Plus most showings were sold out. Both Lady Bird and The Shape of Water were under consideration, as were Wonder Wheel and Wonder.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You'd better hurry. It's been in theaters for about 5 weeks, which is about the end of the run these days, unless you're talking about Titanic, Avatar, Star Wars or another heavily hyped movie that is supposed to make a ton of revenue.

I had intended on seeing Roman J. Israel, Esq. but it was only showing as a matinee. My wife hasn't seen The Force Awakens yet so that ruled out The Last Jedi. Plus most showings were sold out. Both Lady Bird and The Shape of Water were under consideration, as were Wonder Wheel and Wonder.
Yeah, fortunately I have an arts cinema in the town where I live and another where I work. I missed it in town but it has at least another week in New Haven.

The Post and I, Tonya are the next two on my list, and probably Darkest Hour after that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Post and I, Tonya are the next two on my list, and probably Darkest Hour after that.

I'm looking forward to The Post, yet also concerned that it has the potential to be so politicized with a liberal bent that I'll leave the theater annoyed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Not phenominal, imo. I like it less and less the more I think about it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just saw Wind River. Depressing but good. Renner is excellent. Worth watching.
Very good movie. The guy who wrote and directed it, Taylor Sheridan, also wrote Hell or High Water. I will definitely be looking for movies he's involved with in the future.

Reaction Score

The short shelf life of films in movie theaters seems to keep on getting shorter and shorter over time. It is pretty much why I gave up going to movie theaters about 10 years ago. Most of the movies I want to see are not the highest grossing items, so by the time I was ready to go see them they would be gone from places like Niantic Cinema or the Mystic Theater which I frequented in the past. It happened to coincide with a Netflix gift subscription that I got from a friend, something I have happily continued to this day. I still see the films I want, only several months down the line.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just watched "Kingsman: The Golden Circle." I hated it. Not the worst movie I've ever seen, but relative to the first one it has to be one of the most disappointing movies for me. I don't even know where to start. I didn't like anything about it. Whatever worked in the first one was completely missing this time around. Ugh, what a clunker.

Reaction Score
Just watched Crown Heights, movie about the wrongful conviction of Colin Warner, and him spending 20 years in jail for a crime he didn’t commit. Lead is Keith Stanfield, who is a really, really good up and coming actor. Nnamdi Asomugha is the second main character, and I believe he produced it as well, good for him. It was very good and sad in the fact that this happens all too much.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Office Christmas Party - reviews were pretty rough, and I think that is a function of expectations due to the big name cast. Take it for what it is, and you will laugh out loud about 10 times, and enjoy the movie overall.

Reaction Score
Office Christmas Party - reviews were pretty rough, and I think that is a function of expectations due to the big name cast. Take it for what it is, and you will laugh out loud about 10 times, and enjoy the movie overall.
It wasn't terrible certainly. Braindead for sure but humorous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom