Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movie Thread 2017

Reaction Score
Incredibles 2 - Hugely anticipated movie for my wife and I (we both have a big soft spot for Pixar). It mostly lived up to the hype but just felt a little inconsequential in the grand scheme of that movie’s universe. A really fun watch even if it didn’t manage to really capture our 2 year old’s attention. Would’ve been really hard to top the first but it got about 85% of the way there I’d say. Hopefully we don’t have to wait another decade+ for the next one.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"The Meg" was entertaining. Sometimes a 30 foot shark roaming around and eating people just isn't enough, so you need a 75 foot shark. I'm sure I read or heard somewhere, but there was more character development and less of the shark than you might think. Decent cast. Jason Statham is always solid. It was tense at times but probably less so than the Blake Lively vs. a shark movie from a couple years ago.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Mile 22" seemed to be fairly under the radar, despite some big names in the cast. It was a good action/thriller. Really not what I expected. Of course that was by design, they really didn't want to give it all away in the trailers. This might prove to be a breakout role for Iko Uwais ("The Raid" and its sequel) to U.S. audiences, or it might not. I thought Tony Jaa was bound for big things in Hollywood, and that never panned out. Anyway...while I thought it was good, it was an exhausting movie. Most of the running time was a nearly endless chase scene in an urban environment, some by car, some by foot, nearly constant exchange of gunfire, some hand to hand combat. Wore me out.

Reaction Score
Just watched this on a whim, knowing nothing about it beforehand except the blurb I read on the Xfinity On Demand guide. Really enjoyed it. Love Jason Bateman and this was a perfect role for him, and McAdams was good. Laughed a lot more than we expected to. Seemed like a funnier Ozark.
Didn't think it was too good but I'll watch anything with Bateman. Jesse Plemons stole every scene in the movie though, that guy is always great.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Security

Antonio Banderas as an out of work Army Captain. Takes a job as a minimum wage mall cop. Yep, his first night the mall is attacked by mecenaries.

I liked it even with the 'yeah, right' moments.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Saw Can You Ever Forgive Me? yesterday. Good watch. Interesting story. McCarthy is very good, but Richard Grant is outstanding imo. Kind of shocked that I hadn't taken notice of him elsewhere before, because he cuts a pretty striking figure with scene-commanding presence. Kind of like a cross between Anthony Hopkins and Christopher Walken.

Assuming his role is characterized as a supporting one, I won't be surprised to see him get some Oscar buzz.

Reaction Score
Saw "Widows" last night - a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I saw the latest Transporter sequel. This time Jason Statham battles against giant sharks. It’s decent.

Shoot, I didn't realize it was part of that franchise when I watched it. He traded in driving cars for driving submarines in this one.

Reaction Score
Shoot, I didn't realize it was part of that franchise when I watched it. He traded in driving cars for driving submarines in this one.

Yeah I was joking considering Jason Statham can only okay one character given his acting ability.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah I was joking considering Jason Statham can only okay one character given his acting ability.

He might be limited, but he's got that dialed in. Nobody plays Jason Statham better than Jason Statham does. Did you see him in "Spy"? He was hilariously over the top hyper macho in that one, seemed like he was having a lot of fun playing that character.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Incredibles 2. Funny. Mr. Incredible makes it work, with some solid Edna too.

Outlaw King. Better look at the time during and just after Braveheart than Braveheart. Solid movie but not exceptional.

Reaction Score
Early Man - I'm a sucker for Aardman. It was decent, definitely not their best effort. It held my daughter's attention well enough for a while at least.

I saw Early Man list night. I pretty much agree with @Mano. I am a sucker for Aardman as well. It was solid and entertaining enough, not a waste of time, but not exactly memorable. It helps if you're a soccer fanatic. The Shaun the Sheep Movie was way much better in my opinion, with Wallace and Gromit certainly at the head of the class.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I finally saw Solo. I thought it was alright. Worth a watch if you enjoy the star wars universe. The pacing was pretty awful though. It seemed like the movie was going to end three or four times.

I also watched Ingrid Goes West. It wasn't bad but I didn't enjoy it. I think they picked the wrong ending.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I also watched Ingrid Goes West. It wasn't bad but I didn't enjoy it. I think they picked the wrong ending.

I really like the 2 lead actresses from that, but I got bored and gave up about halfway through it a while ago. Doubt I'll get around to finishing it another time.

Reaction Score
I really like the 2 lead actresses from that, but I got bored and gave up about halfway through it a while ago. Doubt I'll get around to finishing it another time.
I was kind of hanging on and then the ending... Seemed to be counter to the entire message of the film. You did yourself a favor lol

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Saw Wreck It Ralph Breaks the Internet this morning with my sons, nieces, and respective family. Enjoyable enough. Used too many cliches and one part was kind of creepy in an innocent way, but creepy nonetheless.

Much like The Incredibles 2, not as good as the original, but probably a solid B.

Reaction Score
just saw "fantastic beasts: the crimes of grindelwald" couldn't understand a single thing that was going on in the movie and it was LONG.

Reaction Score
GUEST_dbf78670-caff-4df1-8706-209658d562b2
I haven't bought it yet and only listened to a few songs. Thought Pressure had that feel like Supermassive Black Hole. Not bad. How's the rest of the album?

Reaction Score
Crazy Rich Asians - Wife wanted to see it. Pretty blah. They weren't even all that over the top rich. Meh. At least there was Constance Wu to look at.

Ocean's 8 - I was struggling to even remember what the other movie we saw was. Had to go and check my Redbox receipt in my email. So, yea, pretty forgettable.

Reaction Score
I haven't bought it yet and only listened to a few songs. Thought Pressure had that feel like Supermassive Black Hole. Not bad. How's the rest of the album?

I like anything that Muse does. But I didn’t care for Something Human. Sometimes I worry that Matt is becoming too domestic LOL.

If you’re a fan then the Super Deluxe version is what you want.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just saw Green Book. Excellent. My overall favorite so far this year I think. Great watch. Really well cast throughout. Thoughtful and not too preachy. Just right.

Reaction Score
Watched “Spun” today. Older movie but great cast and really unique shooting style. Good story and Mickey Rourke being Mickey Rourke. Well worth a free view.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom