Receivers | The Boneyard

Receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With Phillips playing, Uconn has a formidable duo that can make plays with Davis and Phillips. Sure would have made Boyle's debut alot easier with both these guys playing. Without Phillips, we don't have many guys that make plays. Was watching Green, Abrams and Foxx run routes and they just can't seem to find ways to get open. TEs can't seem to find seams in the defense to get open either so its difficult to make completions when your recievers and not getting separation from their defenders.

Reaction Score
Foxx got open quite a bit. Catching was another problem. Yeah we need more tall physical WRs. You know what I thought of today during the game. How Dez tweeted about Foxx and Abrams being weapons, and "problems" for our opponents. Dez has a habit of making every player sound great.

I would recruit some jucos at WR and OT if im the next coach.

Reaction Score
Hoping the Thomas/Bradley/Lemelle trio can be something soon.

Notice Bradley make that catch late in the game? Was like the first time he got in the game... Doesn't make sense to me. He gets in on a play LATE in the game... Makes a KEY (at the time) 16 yd reception... I sure hope TJW noticed that, and allows him more burn vs. Cincy.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
To be fair Bradley came in quite a few times earlier in the game. Not as often as you would like but it wasn't his first entry.

Reaction Score
Notice Bradley make that catch late in the game? Was like the first time he got in the game... Doesn't make sense to me. He gets in on a play LATE in the game... Makes a KEY (at the time) 16 yd reception... I sure hope TJW noticed that, and allows him more burn vs. Cincy.

I saw Bradley early in the game as well. He looked confident on that catch ... throw him another one.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I wonder how much of what we saw yesterday (WR play) was a result of the WR coach (and OC) now being head coach and not having the time to devote to position practice that he once had.

I see this as a potential problem for the remainder of the season and I also see not having a QB coach on the sidelines as a problem, especially with a very young QB.

Reaction Score
I wonder how much of what we saw yesterday (WR play) was a result of the WR coach (and OC) now being head coach and not having the time to devote to position practice that he once had.

No fooling his eyes either though... my sense is they will get it fixed.

>>The drops killed UConn. Spencer Parker let a touchdown slip through his hands with 8:47 left in the first quarter, and then a diving DeShon Foxx-- slow on a route, according to Weist -- dropped a pass at the goal line in the second. "DeShon Foxx -- run out of the cut," Weist said. "Run. You're wide open. Run down the field and make the play. He came out, was looking early, and all of a sudden the ball is in the air and now he's running. It's too late.<<

I agree span of control needs to be fixed before it cascades.

Reaction Score

I see this as a potential problem for the remainder of the season and I also see not having a QB coach on the sidelines as a problem, especially with a very young QB.
You are definitely on to something here FFldCnty. Being short like this for a bowl game is one thing, but doing it for 7-8 games is different. But the change needed to be made so this is who and what we are. As long as Boyle can talk to Day on the headset after each series and they can get him pics to look at it may be better for his growth as Day will be able to see things from the box he can't see from the field. If he takes notes he can work with Boyle in the film room.

Reaction Score
"DeShon Foxx -- run out of the cut," Weist said. "Run. You're wide open. Run down the field and make the play. He came out, was looking early, and all of a sudden the ball is in the air and now he's running. It's too late.""

Good, sound constructive criticism. Not the usual P pablum. As TJ showed in the final seconds he's not perfect either. Hopefully the lessons learned by all will translate into a W soon.

Reaction Score
Good, sound constructive criticism. Not the usual P pablum. As TJ showed in the final seconds he's not perfect either. Hopefully the lessons learned by all will translate into a W soon.

Agreed - but I was questioning posting it in my head because I was sure there are folks that will bristle @ TJW for "throwing a kid under the bus" as they did when PP said similar type things regarding individual kids.

Playmakers need to make plays.

Reaction Score
That quote by TJ didn't throw him under the bus. It explained what happened to a T. Just a lack of fundamentals that led to a failed play in nice simple terms that the player/players can use to get better. Being able to do that would result in more improvement in player development which is what we used to have around here.

Reaction Score
One thing we are certain regarding TJ Weist ... he is a superior College WR position coach. His comment about Foxx gives us, the fanbase, a notion of what is supposed to be the technique. It wasn't done. With Boyle, it seemed clear that he could have just slowed down and lobbed an easy one in there: that's not what is taught (per Weist).

Reaction Score
Nice leadership emerging...

Davis Doesn't Want Receivers To Have Another Game Like USF
http://touch.courant.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-77782556/

"I think [Tim [did a great job," he said of freshman quarterback Tim Boyle, who was 15 of 43 for 149 yards in his first start. "A lot of those plays were on us as a receiving group. I think we have to go in the film room and up our play. That's not on Tim, and as a leader I have to put more emphasis on that; that we have to stay after practice because as a unit I don't want that game again. That was too many dropped passes and I wasn't happy about it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom