Rebecca Lobo's Incredible Journey to Basketball Royalty | The Boneyard

Rebecca Lobo's Incredible Journey to Basketball Royalty

Reaction Score
A nice article in Sports Illustrated by Steve Rushin (hat tip to OldAlum):

"When RuthAnn Lobo became pregnant with her third child in 1973, her doctor looked her in the eye and said: “You know, you have a choice now.” RuthAnn chose another doctor.

Rebecca was born exactly nine months and two weeks after Roe v. Wade, in the first full year of Title IX. When Rebecca was in 5th grade her teacher sent a note home informing RuthAnn that her youngest child needed to stop playing with the boys at recess and to start dressing like a girl. RuthAnn didn’t change her daughter’s clothes. She changed her daughter’s teacher."

Lobo's path to become a basketball legend

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Another wonderful article on Rebecca. Steve is an outstanding writer. It will be interesting to see their kid grow up. Rebecca said that one of her kids referred to Geno as "Mr. Auriemma, the guy with the really cool basement."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
He is still making up for that article crack about sleeping with 8000 women at the Liberty game ... she corrects him, 12000 ... that's our average attendance. "Mommy, how big was the bed that daddy was in with all those women?"

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I watched her entire speech and it was really, really good. Funny at times, emotional at times; breezy at times, heartfelt at times.

She did recount her first meeting with Steve and his smart aleck comment when writing about the WNBA - and the camera turned to Steve, who was obviously then hoping Scotty would beam him up. Pretty clear that Rebecca did not run the speech (or at least that portion of it) by him in advance!

He is a terrific columnist, uncommon cleverness and imagination. Like Rebecca`s speech, he is at times light and witty, and at times he is straight from the heart.

Certainly gets an A++ for this one.

Reaction Score
I watched her entire speech and it was really, really good. Funny at times, emotional at times; breezy at times, heartfelt at times.

She did recount her first meeting with Steve and his smart aleck comment when writing about the WNBA - and the camera turned to Steve, who was obviously then hoping Scotty would beam him up. Pretty clear that Rebecca did not run the speech (or at least that portion of it) by him in advance!

He is a terrific columnist, uncommon cleverness and imagination. Like Rebecca`s speech, he is at times light and witty, and at times he is straight from the heart.

Certainly gets an A++ for this one.

This is a must watch for any UCONN WCBB fan. Thanks for posting

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The wife of former Oklahoma coach Billy Tubbs once accused him of loving basketball more than he loved her. “Yes,” Tubbs replied, “but I love you more than track.”

If Rebecca should love basketball...more than me, I’ll be content as the third party in a love triangle because basketball has given us four children, three nephews, endless laughs and inspiration

Steve Rushin article

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom