Rebecca and the HOF...didn't realize | The Boneyard

Rebecca and the HOF...didn't realize

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
My bad...I simply wasn't aware that Rebecca's entrance in to the
Naismith HOF was not as a player but as a contributor...a la Dick Vitale.
I'm still delighted for her.

IMO...I do think her inclusion in this category is more appropriate.
She had a wonderful college career with her senior year a spectactular one.
Her pro career was way shortened by injury. Strictly as a player I am not sure if I would have voted her in.

BUT: Rebecca was The Face of women's basketball...college and pro...after that wonderful 1995 championship. The powers-that -be not only wanted to win the gold in 1996 but to create sizzle for a pro women's league....and they knew that Rebecca was THE best person to do that....thus her selection for the 1996 Olympic team.

Successful in their objective? Almost too successful....starting 2 leagues...which made no sense to me....but she sure did 'contribute' to the WNBA's existence in a big way.

So...imo....Rebecca being honored for her significant contributions to our game...yes!

Just wondering: strictly as a player....would she get your vote?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well... yeah, but I'm not entirely unbiased.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Perhaps she didn't do enough in the pros or internationally to make it as a player. But as a contributor she's at the top of the list.

Reaction Score
She is certainly in the top 10 to ever play at Uconn and just may be the most important player to ever play at Uconn.She would be in a lot of folks top five and personally i know she gets top honors with the powers that be at Uconn.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
She is certainly in the top 10 to ever play at UConn and just may be the most important player to ever play at UConn.She would be in a lot of folks top five and personally i know she gets top honors with the powers that be at UConn.
She's a no brainer member of UConn's WBB Mt. Rushmore.

Reaction Score
My bad...I simply wasn't aware that Rebecca's entrance in to the
Naismith HOF was not as a player but as a contributor...a la Dick Vitale.
I'm still delighted for her.

IMO...I do think her inclusion in this category is more appropriate.
She had a wonderful college career with her senior year a spectactular one.
Her pro career was way shortened by injury. Strictly as a player I am not sure if I would have voted her in.

BUT: Rebecca was The Face of women's basketball...college and pro...after that wonderful 1995 championship. The powers-that -be not only wanted to win the gold in 1996 but to create sizzle for a pro women's league....and they knew that Rebecca was THE best person to do that....thus her selection for the 1996 Olympic team.

Successful in their objective? Almost too successful....starting 2 leagues...which made no sense to me....but she sure did 'contribute' to the WNBA's existence in a big way.

So...imo....Rebecca being honored for her significant contributions to our game...yes!

AS CL said ---I'm not unbiased--BUT--she was instrumental in the establishment of a Women's Professional League and the WNBA. She was , not alone, responsible for Uconn first championship (which began a string of 11 , maybe more , Championships)
To me either or both along with being the FACE of WBB (pro and College) for more than 20 year--has got bring her into the HOF as a Player, and Media expert.
Yep, CL---I too am biased.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom