Reason's Why Diaco Needs Time | The Boneyard

Reason's Why Diaco Needs Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched the game in disbelief like most (while receiving random text's from my buddies telling me that my team is absolute trash, Asking where it Pasqualoni is? ect. ect.)It was very frustrating.

However I understand why Diaco did what he did.

He is trying to teach the team to stop shooting itself in the foot. Penalties, Turnovers, Missed Assignments are killing this team. And he basically came to the conclusion that he did not want to turn over the ball again. Meaning he figured as long as the defense did not give up another score he would not allow the offense to F up again.

Problem with his strategy was that he did the exact opposite of what he said that he would do.( Meaning he said that he would play to the strength of the team and not ask the players to do things they were not good at) This team's strength is at wide receiver: Between Davis, Foxx and the slew of young receivers. They should have used more short routes and screens to put the ball in the hands of play makers such as newsome.

With that being said, its easy to call a play its much harder to execute that strategy is bad whether with a very weak and punk OL that lacks attitude.

Probably the biggest factor is Diaco's playing not to lose by much strategy is that Whitmer is horrible at ball security.

I don't don't think anyone on this board would claim that whitmer would not have turned over the ball a couple more times. Be it via ints, strip-sack, or just dropping the ball without anyone touching him, Whitmer was going to have 2 more turnovers if he dropped back 20 times in this game.

Whitmer ( God bless his heart) is shell shocked. He is so scared of the rush, he struggles with the blitz. But what drives you crazy is that he also has made some really nice play's this year.

Diaco needs to develop Boyle. I was critical of Boyle after his first ever start saying that he was horrible ( in that game, not in terms of his potential as a player).

However, Boyle is a very talented kid and he can do things, such as see over the rush, that Whitmer will never be able to do. Boyle has a really strong arm. Right now he needs some snaps, I think he has developed as the 4 games he played against 2 top 25 programs helped him. He also had a chance to go through another year of development. This kid is the present and future right now. And if we want the program to be better next year, Boyle needs to get more experience.

Lastly, Don't sleep on USF, they had the best recruiting class in the AAC last year. They brought in alot of impact young players ( i.e. Mack 500 yds 5 tds in first 4 games). I watched them earlier this year and they are physically a better team. Diaco needs to continue to bring in more talent. Recruiting needs to step up!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yes, he needs time to recruit and develop his own roster, but he's also making some very poor decisions. He needs to own up and address that. This is a real season and these are real games. I doubt he told Warde in his interview that he plans to tank this season. The supporters of this program deserve to not have their time and support wasted for another 2 years.

We are currently seeing the worst case scenario of elevating to D-1 as predicted by those who opposed it. In 2002, 2005, we could stomach it and hope to build. But, that's bull because out of the gate, UConn competed will all but national championship caliber teams. We've beaten storied programs, top 25 teams. It can be done here, because it has been done here by a guy who no one would mistake for an elite coach. We're not asking for Bear Bryant or Nick Saban, but we should be able to put 85 guys together that can beat the contents of the AAC and not have to worry about being embarrassed by the University of South Freaking Florida.

It's the CFB equivalent of walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Reaction Score
USF is horibble. We happen to be horribler if there was such a word. It is concerning that they haven't found a way to develop a system that attempts to maximize the strength of the offense which is the wrs as you said.

We all know he needs time. The ol is beyond bad. I watched some of army vs wake. I watched Temple roll Vanderbilt that played south Carolina well. Other than SMU, we maybe the worst team in this league. That is sad.

Reaction Score
USF's offensive line did well pushing our line around creating running lanes. With the conditions the ground game was going to be key and our OL still couldn't do anything. They slung the ball around pretty well through the air also. USF isn't a team to sleep on.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
USF's offensive line did well pushing our line around creating running lanes. With the conditions the ground game was going to be key and our OL still couldn't do anything. They slung the ball around pretty well through the air also. USF isn't a team to sleep on.

USF sucks out loud. Any assertion to the opposite is insane. They might be closer to a turnaround than UConn but that team sucks.

Reaction Score
Only way anyone thinks usf is decent is if Friday is the only time you watched them play. I had seen them earlier. They absolutely suck and we somehow just happen to be worst.

Reaction Score
Without a short passing game, he's putting additional pressure on the OL.

Exactly!

So short, sweet and true. Kannell said during the 3rd series that if he's USF, he's sending everyone he can on run blitzes the whole game.

When you disarm your offense, you're going to get killed.

AND, while the LT blew the block and the strip sack of Whitmer, is it really lost on people that on 2nd and 2, you had a slow developing play, Whitmer dropped way way back, faked to the RB?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I disagree with this. USF averaged less than 3 yds a carry. The only real yardage they gained was on delayed handoffs. If you want to fault the line on anything its the lack of penetration and QB pressure. USF's Oline is also very bad.

Reaction Score
I disagree with this. USF averaged less than 3 yds a carry. The only real yardage they gained was on delayed handoffs. If you want to fault the line on anything its the lack of penetration and QB pressure. USF's Oline is also very bad.

A delayed handoff is still a handoff and a running play. They gave up 158 yards on the ground and that includes what ESPN shows a Mike White run for -8 yds and 2 team rushes for -6 yards. They ran for 3.0 ypc and it certainly felt like more, when they consistently converted on 3-16 and plenty of long 3rd down conversions, 4th and long for a 30 yd TD through the air, etc. They gained more yards on the ground than Uconn had total. They almost gained more yards through the air than Uconn had total. Their three main rushers all averaged 3.1 yards or better. I was there in person. Watched the game in it's entirety. I disagree with you. We agree to disagree whatever. But the defense gave up too many huge 3rd down plays many of them on the ground.

Reaction Score

Well our defensive line made them look great.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yes, he needs time to recruit and develop his own roster, but he's also making some very poor decisions. He needs to own up and address that. This is a real season and these are real games. I doubt he told Warde in his interview that he plans to tank this season. The supporters of this program deserve to not have their time and support wasted for another 2 years.

We are currently seeing the worst case scenario of elevating to D-1 as predicted by those who opposed it. In 2002, 2005, we could stomach it and hope to build. But, that's bull because out of the gate, UConn competed will all but national championship caliber teams. We've beaten storied programs, top 25 teams. It can be done here, because it has been done here by a guy who no one would mistake for an elite coach. We're not asking for Bear Bryant or Nick Saban, but we should be able to put 85 guys together that can beat the contents of the AAC and not have to worry about being embarrassed by the University of South Freaking Florida.

It's the CFB equivalent of walking and chewing gum at the same time.

So, you think with a different strategy, we might have beaten BYU or Boise?

How about USF? You think a different strategy would have been enough to come from an early 14-0 hole with our offense and in that weather?

What do you think the record should be right now if he hadn't "tanked" the seaon? 4-0? 3-1?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Well our defensive line made them look great.

Under 3 yards a carry is great offensive line production? Wow.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So, you think with a different strategy, we might have beaten BYU or Boise?

How about USF? You think a different strategy would have been enough to come from an early 14-0 hole with our offense and in that weather?

What do you think the record should be right now if he hadn't "tanked" the seaon? 4-0? 3-1?

Oh thank God someone is here to confuse criticism of decisions with criticism of results.

We haven't been down this road yet.

Reaction Score
Under 3 yards a carry is great offensive line production? Wow.

According to ESPN they averaged 3.o ypc. And that includes a -8 yd run by white and two (team) rushes for -6 yds. The remainder rushed for 172 yards on 50 carries for 3.44 yds per carry. They converted time and time again when it mattered most. Where is everyone getting the under 3.0 ypc number?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Oh thank God someone is here to confuse criticism of decisions with criticism of results.

We haven't been down this road yet.

Look - we got blown out by BYU (just a better team) and were within 1 score of BSU and USF in the 4th quarter after digging ourselves into early holes.

Not bad results for a really crappy football team (which we are right now).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Look - we got blown out by BYU (just a better team) and were within 1 score of BSU and USF in the 4th quarter after digging ourselves into early holes.

Yes if you enjoy consenting to a close loss to a terrible team rather than risking a larger margin with some chance of winning it's delightful.

Reaction Score

I agree. 4th straight game with a 1st quarter TO which led to points on the ensuing drive by the opposition. People complain about the DL. They didn't get much pressure and the offense ran on the defense pretty well. Let's face it, in rainy conditions you can expect way more run than passing. The running was going to be key. USF got it done and Uconn did not. That's it and that's all. Again the TO was very costly and as Diaco has said this team is not good enough to come back from that. Which we have seen 3 games this season.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Yes if you enjoy consenting to a close loss to a terrible team rather than risking a larger margin with some chance of winning it's delightful.

I think Diaco's strategy had better chance of ending in a win than have a turnover prone QB throwing a slippery ball, behind a terrible oline, deep in our own territory.

We did have the chance to win the game in the 4th quarter.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I agree. 4th straight game with a 1st quarter TO which led to points on the ensuing drive by the opposition. People complain about the DL. They didn't get much pressure and the offense ran on the defense pretty well. Let's face it, in rainy conditions you can expect way more run than passing. The running was going to be key. USF got it done and Uconn did not. That's it and that's all. Again the TO was very costly and as Diaco has said this team is not good enough to come back from that. Which we have seen 3 games this season.

Right. I agree. Its not so much that USF ran the ball great as it is that UCONN couldn't move the chains on the ground and got stuck on one side of the field.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We did have the chance to win the game in the 4th quarter.

That's a fact that isn't being conceded by the BD criticizers. Probably because it doesn't fit their preconceived narrative about Diaco not caring about winning. Reminds me of that line from Annie Hall where the woman says, "I had an once but my doctor said it wasn't the right kind."

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Wow. An Annie Hall reference on the football board. What's next, an Earth Wind and Fire ballad referencing the title of the thread?

Reaction Score
Right. I agree. Its not so much that USF ran the ball great as it is that UCONN couldn't move the chains on the ground and got stuck on one side of the field.

Which is why I said, Uconn made them look great. Combination of the two. But we agree to an extent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's a fact that isn't being conceded by the BD criticizers. Probably because it doesn't fit their preconceived narrative about Diaco not caring about winning. Reminds me of that line from Annie Hall where the woman says, "I had an once but my doctor said it wasn't the right kind."

It's because it didn't. It locked them into a close loss

Here is how you know. South Florida after throwing the Pick 6 was perfectly happy to not take any chances because they knew unless they threw interceptions they couldn't lose.

Diaco's plan was a self-fullfulling prophesy. It's amazing that some of the same people defending this nonsense also were critical of Edsall. Amazing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Boneyard is a good sounding ground. When certain people are on the other side of a debate it's a nice confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom