Reasons to be excited for next year | The Boneyard

Reasons to be excited for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We will not be able to defend our championship, but hopefully can at least win a consolation prize in the NIT, which would be good for the returning players next year, but quickly, and there will be many threads like this, so I apologize, I'd like to highlight some positives for next year:

1) Brimah: If you remember, he was hurt this past summer w/should problems. That hindered his time in the weight room and work in the offseason. With a full summer in the weight room (please no concussions), and hopefully work at a big man camp (Olajuwon, where you at?), we will see major improvements next year. If the man can stay on the court for another 5 minutes per game next year w/less fouls, that is huge. I have faith. I expect a significant leap.

2) Purvis: We saw flashes at times, today especially. Next year you have to imagine he won't be as passive and inconsistent, and will take on a much bigger leadership and scoring role. We need to run more, and Purvis should help push tempo. The expectations for Purv going into the year were sky-high, and he certainly disappointed at times, but he is a real talent. His game is premised on confidence. As on of the expected top two scorers next year, I think we can expect 13-15 with some big dunks.

3) D Ham: He had a tough AAC tourney, but will no longer be a freshman. He, like Rodney will take on a bigger leadership role. He needs to tighten up his handle and take some better shots, but he will play this summer w/his brothers and against actual NBA guys (he plays pick up with a lot of pros). He should come back next year w/swag. I don't see him leaving this year. He could be all conference next year.

4) Rest of returning roster: Have to hope for some improvement. I don't expect too much. Maybe Rock comes back a little more polished. I'm actually hoping Cassell Jr. improves more than anyone else because if his shot selection is decent, he can score. We'll see what Omar looks like. Phil showed some improvement towards the end of the year. T Sam has to make at least one three next year, right?

5) Adams and Enoch: The real reason to have some hope. Adams will start from day one, and you can't expect a freshman point guard to lead you to the promised land, but this kind is real. This is not hype. He's not going to replace Boatright. That's not fair. But I actually think the chemistry on the team next year will be better for one main reason - too many times this year the rest of the guys were just waiting for Boat to bail them out. Next year, that won't happen. There won't be the guy. That mantle will be shared between Hamilton, Purvis, Brimah, and yes, Adams. I think the ball moves better next year. I think they run more. I think we rebound better. I think we're back in the tourney, fairly positive actually. Plus, Enoch should be a rotation big, and Facey will be back contributing.

The sky has not fallen. This is not where we wanted to be today, but there is hope. If we could somehow get a Bruce Brown to reclassify or one another quality recruit for next year, that will be even sweeter.

And, thank you Ryan.

Reaction Score
6) We will be coming off a NIT championship ( that was tough typing that but ... yea if a trophy is on the line, we might as well bring it in)

Reaction Score
Just got back from the game.

Like everyone else on here I'm bumming.

But I got to thinking that a few positives did occur during the last part of the regular season and the AAC Tourney:

1. Purvis is looking more like the Purvis that was hyped up by KO

2. Nolan has given us good minutes

3. Lubin showed signs that he can contribute.

Along with the development of DHam , Amida being able to work out this offseason and get stronger and the addition of Jalen Adams we have a few pieces.

Ok back to being bummed..........

Reaction Score
Offense needs to flow through Dham with Purvis playing Robin to his batman. The offense cannot be 25 seconds of slow passes around the three point arc followed by a desperation three. Need to find the best compliment at PF for Brimah's shot blocking ability. I'm not sure that guy isn't Rock. Phil's hands are terrible and he doesn't box out nearly enough. We need defensive rebounding force in the worst way to compliment Amidah's defense. PG I assume will be Jalen Adams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom