Really Really OT---is Hypnosis for real | The Boneyard

Really Really OT---is Hypnosis for real

Reaction Score
We have a few is not more than a few Psychologists--maybe some Psychiatrists---
Now I know how to create Alpha Waves and the apparent results
Often in TV or movies--a subject is Hypnotized and does things or reveals things otherwise (supposedly) unknown to them or on Bull--committed murder

So is it real or a parlor game gone wild. If it is real how does it work?

Reaction Score
Just recall the worst car you ever bought or worst date you ever had and you'll know.

JS

Reaction Score
I quit smoking some years ago through hypnosis, when nothing else worked.

Didn't think I was susceptible after group experiments in college where some in the class responded to hypnotic suggestion and others, including me, didn't.

But I was very cooperative when it was suggested to me as a means of kicking the cigarette habit and therefore, I guess, a better subject. Had one session with a hypnotist in New York on the recommendation of a friend, and that was it.

The technique, during which I never lost consciousness, involved implanting a hypnotic suggestion that, whenever I felt a desire to smoke, I would repeat a certain word to myself and the urge would dissipate.

Just kept that up for a while until the physical nicotine craving was gone. Twenty years now, smoke free.

And you know what? I miss it. Loved to smoke, and would still do it if it didn't scare me to death.

Would no doubt work for other things too, but there are no other vices I'm willing to give up, or will even acknowledge as vices for that matter. No need to get on the slippery slope toward boring abstinence.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sorry I missed this topic. I fell into a deep and restful sleep.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
As Gabby Williams I recall her having a video on an IG account or something of her being hypnotized @ like HS pep rally or something. She said it was one of the weirdest experiences in her entire life.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I tried it years ago when I hated flying (now I just hate airports). Unfortunately I never went under because when I was with the hypnotist, there was a long and very strong thunder storm. My eyes we're closed and room quite dark, so I had no lightening to alert me that a thunder clap was coming and I pretty much kept getting startled

In college I worked at a resort. They had a performing hypnotist a few times. He chose a few guests and a few of our staff, college kids. They definitely went under andcone of our staff did not revive properly for many minutes. He wasn't faking.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In 1972, I was in a terrible funk, lashing out at colleagues in a job I didn't want, not far from a nervous breakdown.

A psychologist was recommended who used hypnosis as a primary tool...the initial success was memorable...after a few sessions I was feeling better, thinking ahead, I quit my unhappy position and started on the road to a reasonably productive and fascinating life. No, perfection wasn't achieved, but a remarkable turnaround.

Worked for me.....but she was a true expert.

Reaction Score
Look at the pocket watch as it swings back and forth, back and forth, you're feeling sleepy, your eyes lids are getting heavy, your arms are limp, they feel like two ropes lying by your side, sleep, sleep..............now every time you hear the words Notre Dame WBB, Baylor WBB, South Carolina WBB, Maryland WBB or Tennessee WBB you will no longer feel sorry for these teams and their fans................you will have a sense of appreciation for all that their teams have achieved..................Sir.................Sir...............where are you going........Sir!!!

Reaction Score
Look at the pocket watch as it swings back and forth, back and forth, you're feeling sleepy, your eyes lids are getting heavy, your arms are limp, they feel like two ropes lying by your side, sleep, sleep....now every time you hear the words Notre Dame WBB, Baylor WBB, South Carolina WBB, Maryland WBB or Tennessee WBB you will no longer feel sorry for these teams and their fans......you will have a sense of appreciation for all that their teams have achieved...Sir.......Sir.....where are you going...Sir!!!

Snore----snore ----snore-----thanks for the pocket watch--good bye.

Reaction Score
I quit smoking some years ago through hypnosis, when nothing else worked.

Didn't think I was susceptible after group experiments in college where some in the class responded to hypnotic suggestion and others, including me, didn't.

But I was very cooperative when it was suggested to me as a means of kicking the cigarette habit and therefore, I guess, a better subject. Had one session with a hypnotist in New York on the recommendation of a friend, and that was it.

The technique, during which I never lost consciousness, involved implanting a hypnotic suggestion that, whenever I felt a desire to smoke, I would repeat a certain word to myself and the urge would dissipate.

Just kept that up for a while until the physical nicotine craving was gone. Twenty years now, smoke free.

And you know what? I miss it. Loved to smoke, and would still do it if it didn't scare me to death.

Would no doubt work for other things too, but there are no other vices I'm willing to give up, or will even acknowledge as vices for that matter. No need to get on the slippery slope toward boring abstinence.

Smoked for may years--needed a cigarette before or after everything--could not walk into a business meeting without a cigarette.
Quite cold turkey---twice---it took effect the second time--Now, I can smell smoke on smoker, a whiff of smoke from a cigarette--is unpleasant--I'm worse than non smokers--yet I know how difficult it can be to give up.
I honestly can't say I feel better or my health is better--though my doctor praised my quitting even now. However, I know of smokers who eventually developed lung cancers or other breathing issues that I dont' have.

Reaction Score
Just recall the worst car you ever bought or worst date you ever had and you'll know.
I guess this evens us up---I don't understand this as you were confused by my Buffalo response.??

Reaction Score
I tried it years ago when I hated flying (now I just hate airports). Unfortunately I never went under because when I was with the hypnotist, there was a long and very strong thunder storm. My eyes we're closed and room quite dark, so I had no lightening to alert me that a thunder clap was coming and I pretty much kept getting startled

In college I worked at a resort. They had a performing hypnotist a few times. He chose a few guests and a few of our staff, college kids. They definitely went under andcone of our staff did not revive properly for many minutes. He wasn't faking.

I have flown more than a little , Civilian or military, and in the 70's developed a fear--I knew the weakness of materials over time, and the inability of man to be perfect--the fear got worse --until two 737's blew open in mid air--and people were sucked out, and the remainder landed. That ended my
irrational fears--now I knew it was real--for real reasons. But now I just hate the cattle car approach to flying--I drive.

Reaction Score
Snore----snore ----snore-----thanks for the pocket watch--good bye.

All hypnosis is self-hypnosis. The individual is always in control, not the 'hypnotist'.

The technique that I use is simple. I have the individual tell me in detail how they want a situation to be (stop smoking, lose weight, ride a subway, etc). What will success look like to them, what will they see, what will they hear people saying, what will it feel like, lots of multi-sensory details, in other words. Then I take them through a simple relaxation process. If the person can't relax or if they fall asleep, this doesn't work.

The goal of relaxation (an alpha, day-dreamy state) is to by-pass the critical beta or waking state of conscious. If one is awake and it is suggested that she wants to stop smoking, the waking brain says 'no'. When in the relaxed, but conscious alpha state, a suggestion, the individual's own suggestion, can be described and a picture of how the individual wants the situation to be is created. Even though the individual is ambivalent about change (I love smoking but it scares me), in the relaxed state, the suggestion has a better chance of changing that person's choices in the waking state.

When you see a stage hypnotist, (UConn would have James Mapes play to multiple sold out performances every fall back in the day) they 'test' their audience by suggesting, for example, that there is a balloon tied to one arm and a heavy object in the other. Then the hypnotist watches who did what he suggested. Those people have proven that they will choose to do what he tells them and he brings them up on stage for his act. Mapes was a stage genius who was also a clinical hypnotist helping patients deal with pain or prepare for procedures. In my training, filled with mostly MD's and nurses, we watched a stomach operation where the patient had been trained in self-hypnosis, and went through the operation with no anesthesia.

Most impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
All hypnosis is self-hypnosis. The individual is always in control, not the 'hypnotist'.

I was instructed in self-hypnosis and used it for many years.

Last edited by a moderator:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have flown more than a little , Civilian or military, and in the 70's developed a fear--I knew the weakness of materials over time, and the inability of man to be perfect--the fear got worse --until two 737's blew open in mid air--and people were sucked out, and the remainder landed. That ended my
irrational fears--now I knew it was real--for real reasons. But now I just hate the cattle car approach to flying--I drive.
If you can tell me how to drive Europe, you know something I don't.

Reaction Score
Is Hypnosis for real? It all depends on ones definition of Real. Hypnosis is all about manipulating perception. Well our perceptions are being continually being manipulated throughout our lives, so much of what we perceive as real might actually not be.

Reaction Score
If you can tell me how to drive Europe, you know something I don't.

If you'd tell me what any European country has than America doesn't have other than OLd
I'll give you my secret--- Been there , done that, they have nothing I want, except the lives of Americans kids lost there.
OK---it's easy, long , but easy. I drive to Alaska in end of January, across the ice bridge to Russia, take Russia's --Soviet 213 down to China-the rest is on your GPS. Have a nice trip.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If you'd tell me what any European country has than America doesn't have other than OLd
I'll give you my secret--- Been there , done that, they have nothing I want, except the lives of Americans kids lost there.
OK---it's easy, long , but easy. I drive to Alaska in end of January, across the ice bridge to Russia, take Russia's --Soviet 213 down to China-the rest is on your GPS. Have a nice trip.
Danish women.

Reaction Score

The technique that I use is simple. I have the individual tell me in detail how they want a situation to be (stop smoking, lose weight, ride a subway, etc). What will success look like to them, what will they see, what will they hear people saying, what will it feel like, lots of multi-sensory details, in other words. Then I take them through a simple relaxation process. If the person can't relax or if they fall asleep, this doesn't work.

The goal of relaxation (an alpha, day-dreamy state) is to by-pass the critical beta or waking state of conscious. If one is awake and it is suggested that she wants to stop smoking, the waking brain says 'no'. When in the relaxed, but conscious alpha state, a suggestion, the individual's own suggestion, can be described and a picture of how the individual wants the situation to be is created. Even though the individual is ambivalent about change (I love smoking but it scares me), in the relaxed state, the suggestion has a better chance of changing that person's choices in the waking state.

When you see a stage hypnotist, (UConn would have James Mapes play to multiple sold out performances every fall back in the day) they 'test' their audience by suggesting, for example, that there is a balloon tied to one arm and a heavy object in the other. Then the hypnotist watches who did what he suggested. Those people have proven that they will choose to do what he tells them and he brings them up on stage for his act. Mapes was a stage genius who was also a clinical hypnotist helping patients deal with pain or prepare for procedures. In my training, filled with mostly MD's and nurses, we watched a stomach operation where the patient had been trained in self-hypnosis, and went through the operation with no anesthesia.

Most impressive.
Alpha , brain waves in the 8 to 12 hz range--I tuned my electronic trainers to 10 hz--and allowed (then) Students to train themselves to create the alpha state. with a psychologist . Scuba divers used this training to increase their bottom time--by lowering respiration.

Thanks--I was aware of that operating you spoke of---didn't see it--at time I had a fear of Blood--mine.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Millions of them here --along with pastries of the same name. Nice try though.
You'd have to ask for a DNA test here. Pretty good chance in Copenhagen the girls are Danish. Just a fraidy cat, admit it.

Reaction Score
You'd have to ask for a DNA test here.
If I were in the land of Danish Women---I'd be asking for things other than DnA tests. Who cares?

Pretty good chance in Copenhagen the girls are Danish. Just a fraidy cat, admit it.
A famous old man said: Say what you mean--mean what you say--that to applies to you

You said:
cohenzone said:
Danish women.
By replied;

When one uses their expertise-

that is not irrational---
Head bangHead bang

The continued use of aircraft over 20 or more years --has issues. When all the analysis comes to gether--hmmmm/ Those ejected into space from the Hawaii Jet 737--none claimed to have no fear. or none was reported. But those remaining on board--had different thoughts.:eek:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A famous old man said: Say what you mean--mean what you say--that to applies to you

You said:
cohenzone said:
Danish women.
By replied;

When one uses their expertise-

that is not irrational---
Head bangHead bang

The continued use of aircraft over 20 or more years --has issues. When all the analysis comes to gether--hmmmm/ Those ejected into space from the Hawaii Jet 737--none claimed to have no fear. or none was reported. But those remaining on board--had different thoughts.:eek:

I take it you drive a car. You do realize that loads of drivers including Danish American women are bat crap crazy behind the wheel. And eating Danish pastry and texting in Danish while driving 80 mph on your rear bumper. One thing I really don't worry about when I fly is the cabin roof peeling back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom