OT: Really, really Cold Weather Foods | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Really, really Cold Weather Foods

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It was a dark and stormy night. I was young,and confused,and scared. I made a bad decision, and now I must live with it. My kids don't know, so that is good. And I never told anyone until now. I was hoping that if I just admitted it, I could finally sleep at night. I still cannot listen to Hawaiian music without panicking. Good thing is I am getting older, and will not have to bear the shame of it much longer. ;)

I keep forgetting to get a can just for old time sake. Hawaii is sure crazy for Spam and the flavors! Probably thick recipe books in every book store.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If we still lived in Estes Park, I'd welcome you over and even give you a spoon! :D;)

I don't need no stinkin' spoon for soup, even very thick soup. Oops, I bet I just killed the invite.

Even this one.

1549744037664.png

The recipe? Here: Creamy Gnocchi Soup Recipe | SPAM® Brand

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Hungarian goulash poured over egg noodles.
Doggone, I miss my mom's Hungarian Goulash.
The best thing about growing up in a coal town was the diversity of nationalities. About 10-11 years old I learned how to ingratiate myself with my friends' mothers in order to get invited to supper. I can remember my first goulash made by Janusz Szabo's mother. The BEST!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Cold weather? Oh, you mean when the temperature is below 80?

My view from our outside dining table a couple weeks ago. We had a steak and glass of nice red wine -

EB61BCD1-24F6-4835-81EF-5FFE77CD7FD4.jpeg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
...said the guy who lives in North Carolina

well it was 80 here thursday..... but now its back to 45..... which is preferable for this time of year. Too many warm days in February means an early start to the grass cutting season.... which I hate

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
16 above zero here in breezy E. Central Illinois. I’ve checked cafefully: No palm trees in sight.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Getting back to food and to make amends for all that Spam talk:

I could listen to him read the phone book.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Alot of talk about soup in here... but I cant remember the last time I had soup...... perhaps the 1990s? I generally stay away from hot liquids.... soups... tea... coffee... hot chocolate

My driveway snow pile 5 minutes ago. :eek: View attachment 39422

You shoveled that? :eek:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The best thing about growing up in a coal town was the diversity of nationalities. About 10-11 years old I learned how to ingratiate myself with my friends' mothers in order to get invited to supper. I can remember my first goulash made by Janusz Szabo's mother. The BEST!!!
My grandmother was born in Slovakia and my grandfather in Hungary (both Austria-Hungary at the time), so it was a popular dish when I was growing up.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Cold weather? Oh, you mean when the temperature is below 80?

My view from our outside dining table a couple weeks ago. We had a steak and glass of nice red wine -

View attachment 39420

I thought that sign said "Nanny's" for a moment; it looks like you're enjoying Florida.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I thought that sign said "Nanny's" for a moment; it looks like you're enjoying Florida.
Manny’s is a chain of pretty good steak houses in Florida. And, yes, Florida has been great. Ask me again in July, though.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I picked up one of my favorite foods while I was stationed in Korea, it was Kimchi. One of our Korean maids for the Senior NCO billets always cooked for us on Saturday's and one of the main dishes was Kimchi, warmed you up quick and one of the few dishes that I've ever had that burns you twice. For those people who have had good Kimchi know what I'm talking about.:eek::eek::eek:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Alot of talk about soup in here... but I cant remember the last time I had soup. perhaps the 1990s? I generally stay away from hot liquids.... soups... tea... coffee... hot chocolate

You shoveled that? :eek:

Heck no. The fellow who plows our roads makes a pass down my driveway when he swings by with his big plow rig and comes back after roads are done with a smaller outfit to push around the stuff in front of the garage (can be up to 2 days later though). That's a small pile. Wind scour moved a lot of snow. I shovel the front steps or wait out the wife!

Reaction Score
triad has never experienced cold , cold weather, but I bet he has a food to give us that will be yummy. One of my favs is in the crock pot warming up right now: pea soup, the kind your spoon stands up in, with lots of onions, celery, carrots and ham ... and the crustiest bread you can find. Side salad for the guilty.

To put you in the weather mood I give you the guy who makes the weather:

Rocky, my sister-in-law puts cooked elbow macaroni in her pea soup- surprisingly good

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky, my sister-in-law puts cooked elbow macaroni in her pea soup- surprisingly good

I'll give it a spin. Elbow macaroni is one of the spouse's favs, so I know she will be all in!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom