Really Happy for the Team and the Program | The Boneyard

Really Happy for the Team and the Program

Reaction Score
We needed that W.

Random thoughts:

As I watched 4thQ I had this lump in my stomach that somehow we were going to f this up and lose. So it was exhilarating that the team stayed composed and made plays to finish. HCRE is changing beliefs.

Great to see that Crocker made whatever adjustments to the D, lets hope they get more comfortable with the schemes.

BS played a real good game, OK I have now accepted that he will miss badly 2 wide open receivers, but overall he is steady

We played a lot of youth in the secondary and they played great, even given a couple missed assignments.

Tacking was fantastic. I especially thought that gunner tacking the Temple punt returner point blank was outstanding.

Junior Joseph deserves a game ball. He looks like our leader on D and always brings it, reminds me of Danny Lansanah. Luke also deserves high praise.

Thanks god we got the W and don't have to discuss the 3rd and 2 from around the 30 odd yard line with a minutes left, and the coaches opt to run BS and then go for the field goal. Was Hopkins dinged up not to give him a chance to make the first down - could of even given it 2 tries with Hopkins. Ball security concerns? I remember a few years back where HCRE went for it on 4th and 2ish from our own 35 yard line and made it, to ice the game at the Rent.Forget who we were playing - maybe a Florida team.

What a great bounce-back from the Memphis game. Coaches had a great game plan and kids played unbelievable. Dare I say UConn football is back.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We needed that W.

Random thoughts:

As I watched 4thQ I had this lump in my stomach that somehow we were going to f this up and lose. So it was exhilarating that the team stayed composed and made plays to finish. HCRE is changing beliefs.

Great to see that Crocker made whatever adjustments to the D, lets hope they get more comfortable with the schemes.

BS played a real good game, OK I have now accepted that he will miss badly 2 wide open receivers, but overall he is steady

We played a lot of youth in the secondary and they played great, even given a couple missed assignments.

Tacking was fantastic. I especially thought that gunner tacking the Temple punt returner point blank was outstanding.

Junior Joseph deserves a game ball. He looks like our leader on D and always brings it, reminds me of Danny Lansanah. Luke also deserves high praise.

Thanks god we got the W and don't have to discuss the 3rd and 2 from around the 30 odd yard line with a minutes left, and the coaches opt to run BS and then go for the field goal. Was Hopkins dinged up not to give him a chance to make the first down - could of even given it 2 tries with Hopkins. Ball security concerns? I remember a few years back where HCRE went for it on 4th and 2ish from our own 35 yard line and made it, to ice the game at the Rent.Forget who we were playing - maybe a Florida team.

What a great bounce-back from the Memphis game. Coaches had a great game plan and kids played unbelievable. Dare I say UConn football is back.
I’m pretty sure that infamous 4th and 2 was vs PITT.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It was a nice win - but the defense was better mostly because they went from playing good offenses to playing a terrible offense.

Temple's offense is painful to watch - it's a never ending parade of dropped passes and miscues.

Reaction Score
It was a nice win - but the defense was better mostly because they went from playing good offenses to playing a terrible offense.

Temple's offense is painful to watch - it's a never ending parade of dropped passes and miscues.

So ECU 41-38 over UConn and
Temple 34-10 over ECU means what?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It means that when terrible teams play each other somebody wins and somebody loses.

The defense didn't get magically better overnight. If you go from playing Memphis to Temple you go from giving up 70 to 24.

The defense is going to look better against Missouri than it is against UCF. MAGIC!

I do like how you ignored Temple's first 5 games when the only time they broke 16 points was against UMass at home and got all the way to 29.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coupled with UConn beating Temple means the non-Florida teams in the division have all been relatively equal in their ineptitude to date. Add Cincy to the bottom four. I’m hoping though that yesterday was the start of an upward trajectory for UConn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The composite computer rankings for the division.

UCF 11th
USF 23rd

Temple 94
Cinci 95
UConn 110
ECU 118

Probably the best context... UAB didn't have a team for a few years. They are 99th. Don't know if any results between the bottom four are shocking.

Temple is a 6.5 point underdog to Army this week.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

This is such a common sense idea, I thought that most everyone here would understand our win on Saturday in this context. But then the boneyard happens...

Reaction Score
This is such a common sense idea, I thought that most everyone here would understand our win on Saturday in this context. But then the boneyard happens...
Tulsa will be a nice test whether we have sustained improvement. The basic eye test suggests the D was much better than we have seen by a country mile. But, it is fair to note Temple had a number of drops and missed throws that a better team likely makes. We have to take what we get here and as poor as the Temple O executed, due credit for marked improvement should be given. If the O doesn't go turtle and the D can play respectably, we have some chances to win some games. Tulsa, Mizzou, Cincy and BC are doable. USF and UCF are tall orders to fill under the best of circumstances. Tulsa will be a bell weather game in terms of trajectory.

Reaction Score
Only on the Boneyard can a know it all do his best to minimize an important win for a team that has shown progress on both offense and defense.

Silly me. You are right Whaler. But of course you are always right.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Tulsa will be a nice test whether we have sustained improvement. The basic eye test suggests the D was much better than we have seen by a country mile. But, it is fair to note Temple had a number of drops and missed throws that a better team likely makes. We have to take what we get here and as poor as the Temple O executed, due credit for marked improvement should be given. If the O doesn't go turtle and the D can play respectably, we have some chances to win some games. Tulsa, Mizzou, Cincy and BC are doable. USF and UCF are tall orders to fill under the best of circumstances. Tulsa will be a bell weather game in terms of trajectory.

Agreed. Granted, the defense did their job. They played a poor offense and turned the ball over and kept points low, as they should have. Tulsa is a bad team coming off of a surprising win, but they do have a good offense. If we can keep them in check, color me impressed about the direction of the D. We just need to keep the turnovers coming

Reaction Score
Had to miss much of this game due to a friends wedding obligations but saw some of first Q and listened on the radio till half time. Saw some highlights. I thought Temples D would be too much for us to get a win but the team proved me wrong. Bryant being able to covert in the red zone was huge. Recovering from the first drive pick was as well. To beat Tulsa the offense has to score more. I am glad I was not watching the 4th Q in real time hoping we could stop Temple. That was a defensive performance. Tarbutt needs to get his act together. Can't miss inside the 40 and expect to win games. Joseph playing his heart out. Should be a good game next Saturday.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

This reminds me of that line from Manhattan "I finally had an , and my doctor said it was the wrong kind."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom