Realistically? Don't Expect A Dramatic Turnaround For UConn Football (J. Jacobs) | The Boneyard

Realistically? Don't Expect A Dramatic Turnaround For UConn Football (J. Jacobs)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Very good article by Jacobs. Realistic.

A lot of unknown variables that will come into play this season - no pun intended. Jacobs mentions most of them. I still think we can get 5 wins.

Reaction Score
Does Jacobs read The Boneyard? ;o) He should've dual posted that at the Courant and here!

As a casual, out of state, UConn football fan, I don't think I realized just how badly the team folded at the end of the year. I watched the initial few games. I started to give up after the Navy game simply because of the early and late coaching (where my Annapolis-grad friend said "your coach doesn't seem to have much of a game plan").
Towards the end I just put my head in the sand and didn't even look at the scores. I could just tell the results by the tone and threads on this board!

People say there are no "moral victories" but that isn't true when measuring progress. A competitive 4-8 is still more encouraging than last year.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
"The Huskies won't go no-huddle just to stand there in formation as the play clock winds down, wasting their own good conditioning on Diaco's obsession to eat as much clock as possible in the relentless pursuit of a 0-0 game."

Diaco's relentless pursuit of a 0-0 game made me laugh out loud. I cannot wait to see this team score some points on Thursday night!

Reaction Score
I think Jacobs was right on with this in terms of expectations. Usually I don't like non-league games later in the year but this year I think it will work out for us since I think the October-November team will be much better than Septembers. My hope is that this group is closer to the 2002(I think) group that struggled early was competitive against some teams then ended the year with 4 wins including Iowa State to finish 6-6.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good column. Upbeat and funny but not unduly optimistic.

I've said this before, but the question isn't does Jacob use the BY as a resource, he clearly does and as said as much. It is just good column prep to get a sense of what the fan base is thinking and there is no better resource for that than the BY.

Reaction Score
As long as we show we can win games we are supposed to win instead of dealing with that circus for 3 years (I feel bad for the kids in the program over that period of time)....

Reaction Score
"Stop the presses! UConn is going to return punts. Don't even get me started on Diaco's cockamamie reasoning to fair catch everything." The fact that the coach recognizes special teams (and I don't mean fake punts) is an upgrade.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Jacobs has generally been good with football.
Popped up occasionally on realignment and then would lose interest.
Never been impressed with his basketball writing or analysis.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Ok, Jeff is not wrong except that anyone who has watched this program knows that better effort and organization alone would have won a lot more games the last 6 years.

We can not say that we will definitely beat anyone but we can say that if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot 10 times a game, we can expect to win a bunch of them against a schedule with a lot of bottom half teams.

Disco blew at least 3 of the 8 games that the kids showed up to play. We lost count of how many PP gave away.

5 wins would be OK, less would be forgiven and more a source of jubilation. Just don't be embarrassing like we've been. We can obsess over win totals next season.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It was actually a pretty decent column. It renders my 7-5 prediction bold, but he actually makes a case for something north of 4 wins. 6-6 is doable.

Reaction Score
He pretty much stole most of this from the BY. It was a good column though.
True. But I'd rather have them lifting some thoughts than ignoring. The BY is a treasure trove, chock full of good observations and sentiments. Its like free crowd sourced material.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
True. But I'd rather have them lifting some thoughts than ignoring. The BY is a treasure trove, chock full of good observations and sentiments. Its like free crowd sourced material.
Don't forget the totally legitimate insider information that is not the product of Chief's overactive imagination.

Reaction Score
Holy Cross is a bell weather game...hard to believe but true. If they can generate offense and points, the confidence builds and the spell begins to break as the albatross falls from the neck. If we struggle like we did against Maine, it will indicate a much harder, longer path.

Reaction Score
It's possible to have a dramatic turnaround on the field but still wind up with 3-4 wins.

He's leaving enough room to whine about Edsall no matter what happens.

Locks of Century - Pal will claim Edsall sucked and he'll clamor for one of the true freshmen QB's to get their chance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom