Realistically, can Uconn win it all? | The Boneyard

Realistically, can Uconn win it all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am thinking of placing a bet in vegas, 2000 to win 100,000 if these odds are correct at 5000. I love that they added Gibbs to go along with Purvis and Hamilton, Brimah is a great shot blocker to have. You gotta hope Nolan the senior plays his best year. Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction Score
About 30 teams can win it all, but we have to wait until April to find out which one does.

Historically, the one Championship ingredient for UConn is having a 1st team AA on the roster. We get one of those then we are automatic.

Reaction Score
It doesn't take much to go wrong to get derailed, but remember this, and that is that championships are built on great defense because defense is always there even on bad shooting nights. So we have Brimah a premier shot blocker and Miller back there. We need a lockdown guard defender like Boat, but at this point I can't say who that is. We have offense as KO restocked the cupboard with Gibbs. That is a lot to bet on a long shot situation no matter how much you believe, but if it wouldn't be painful to lose it maybe so as long as it's not the rent.

Reaction Score
It doesn't take much to go wrong to get derailed, but remember this, and that is that championships are built on great defense because defense is always there even on bad shooting nights. So we have Brimah a premier shot blocker and Miller back there. We need a lockdown guard defender like Boat, but at this point I can't say who that is. We have offense as KO restocked the cupboard with Gibbs. That is a lot to bet on a long shot situation no matter how much you believe, but if it wouldn't be painful to lose it maybe so as long as it's not the rent.
Eh there are some days I lose 2k in a day in betting and win it back, it is what it is, but I think they have a legit shot at that price.

Reaction Score
Anyone who says either yes or no is full of it.

For all intents and purposes, this is a brand new team, so it's impossible to make any guesses without seeing them play at all.

Reaction Score
Anyone who says either yes or no is full of it.

For all intents and purposes, this is a brand new team, so it's impossible to make any guesses without seeing them play at all.

If you don't think you can come to any sort of conclusion, that's fine. I know enough about all of the pieces on this team to say that, yes, they have the capabilities to win a championship.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
so it's impossible to make any guesses without seeing them play at all.
No, it's not. That's why it's called a "guess," and that's why it's called a "bet."

The question was whether it is realistic to believe that they can based on what we know right now, because that is when the OP is making his bet.

Reaction Score
If you don't think you can come to any sort of conclusion, that's fine. I know enough about all of the pieces on this team to say that, yes, they have the capabilities to win a championship.
They have the pieces, sure. But they had the pieces in 2011-12, and didn't win again till 2014, when they had a far less talented team.

They just lost their best player, 40% of the starting lineup will be different, and their bench will be unrecognizable (in a good way). I know it's a message board and there isn't much else to talk about, but this is an impossible question to answer right now.

Reaction Score
They have the pieces, sure. But they had the pieces in 2011-12, and didn't win again till 2014, when they had a far less talented team.

They just lost their best player, 40% of the starting lineup will be different, and their bench will be unrecognizable (in a good way). I know it's a message board and there isn't much else to talk about, but this is an impossible question to answer right now.

The question isn't "Will the team win the championship this year?" It's "Can the team win the championship year?" Yes, they can. There are teams with a better chance, but honestly, I don't think it's that many.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Well... if you have a question that starts with "Can" and it's impossible to answer with "No," then by default the answer to said question is "Yes."

Do they have the requisite >2% chance that would make this bet a worthy investment? Harder to answer but I think a justifiable case can be made given the information we have. Of course the information we have in 2 months will drastically improve the accuracy of our assessment, but by then the Vegas odds will have changed so that's not really relevant.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
The ingredients are there but the seasoning and marinade might not be ready.

Reaction Score
If Jalen can be freshman year Bazz in terms of ball hawking defence and reliable ball handling we will be a TOUGH team.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
I am thinking of placing a bet in vegas, 2000 to win 100,000 if these odds are correct at 5000. I love that they added Gibbs to go along with Purvis and Hamilton, Brimah is a great shot blocker to have. You gotta hope Nolan the senior plays his best year. Any help would be appreciated!

Right now, preseason, we are obligated to say NO because the team is doomed if we curse them by showing too much confidence/optimism.
Once they qualify for the tournament, we are obligated to say YES because we are faithless traitors if we don't have them winning it all in our brackets.
Hope this was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET