Realignment's impact on MSoc, Baseball | The Boneyard

Realignment's impact on MSoc, Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Ray Reid better get ready to schedule his ass off this season. I believe there are six teams who sponsor men's soccer that will be in the conference. UConn, SMU, UCF, USF, Cincy and Memphis. Oof. SMU is good and...well...SMU is good.

At least they get to keep Rutgers and Louisville next year. We think.

Reaction Score
USF is receiving votes. Someone mentioned Charlotte; they are in the top 25. ODU is also getting votes and they are an associate member in field hockey.

Reaction Score
USF is receiving votes. Someone mentioned Charlotte; they are in the top 25. ODU is also getting votes and they are an associate member in field hockey.

Easy answer. Go independent and football and go with the Big East for everything else.

Reaction Score
Easy answer. Go independent and football and go with the Big East for everything else.
Independant in football is viewed by most as financial suicide, and a scheduling nightmare. Independant in soccer is an interesting idea. I'm being patient, hoping we can tread water with this new league. If UConn is still in that league in 5 yrs, oy vey.

Reaction Score
Actually, if you look at the way soccer schedules I'm not sure it matters that much. They only played 7 Big East teams in the regular season anyway. They played non-conference games against Michigan State and Washington. I'd guess that in soccer nearby former Big East teams would be likely to want to schedule games since it would be beneficial to them as well as us. St Johns, Providence, maybe Georgetown, I think all would be on board. I think the conference split ups tend not to have as much impact on those kind of sports. Despite all the anti-BC bias, we've played them on and off for years. Play them almost every year in baseball and softball. UConn is in the same league as BC for womens hockey and will be shortly for mens hockey. And the reason is that it just makes economic and competitive sense. You can take a bus to Boston for a day game and be back on campus by 8 pm. The Johnnies can bus up to Marrone for a Friday night match and be back in Queens before the real partying starts on campus. No flights, no hotel bills, maybe 1 meal rahter than 4-5. These non-revenue or at least lower "priority" programs tend to be much less influenced by the fights going on over football and basketball and more influenced by what makes sense for the programs and the budget.

Reaction Score

Charlotte is moving to Conference USA because of football.

Kentucky & South Carolina are soccer-only affiliates to C-USA.
West Virginia is soccer-only in MAC.

Reaction Score
Ray Reid better get ready to schedule his ass off this season. I believe there are six teams who sponsor men's soccer that will be in the conference. UConn, SMU, UCF, USF, Cincy and Memphis. Oof. SMU is good and...well...SMU is good.

At least they get to keep Rutgers and Louisville next year. We think.

7 teams. You left off Temple.
Only Houston (and Tulane) don't play.

Reaction Score
Silver lining if there is any - Baseball will get decent exposure in this league. Front load schedule with warmer climate games :)

Reaction Score
We will apparently play St. John's in non-conference games. I don't know about the others.

Reaction Score
Playing St. John's in future years would not surprise me, as the distance isn't all that great. That would be good for the strength of schedule. Besides, for the second straight year, St. John's and Boston College are playing a late April game at Dodd Stadium in Norwich. I see no reason why they couldn't play there or at Bridgeport, for that matter. As for the other teams in the current Big East, I doubt UConn would want to travel that far for a mid week game.

Reaction Score
Clarification on my earlier post: UConn and St. John's both very much want to continue playing each other in soccer, even as a non-conference game. There's no reason to believe they won't continue to schedule it annually, although it will probably be earlier in the season. I don't know about baseball.

Reaction Score
Baseball scheduling consists of a bunch of early season weekend trips for series in Florida and elsewhere as well as a long spring break trip somewhere reasonably warm for games, "tournaments" and so on. I use the term tournament loosely, though. Ususally in late march they begin their northern season which consists of Big East games mostly on weekends (Friday, double header Saturday) and weekday games and sometimes Sunday games against northeastern opponents like Central, BC, UMass, Hartford, Fairfield Yale, and so forth. those are mostly single games though they might play the odd double header or something.

Reaction Score
Clarification on my earlier post: UConn and St. John's both very much want to continue playing each other in soccer, even as a non-conference game. There's no reason to believe they won't continue to schedule it annually, although it will probably be earlier in the season. I don't know about baseball.

I’ve had UConn baseball on my brain lately, so that led me to misconstrue your post. UConn playing St. John’s in men’s soccer makes perfect sense, as it has been a great rivalry over the years. Given that the conference schedule in future years is going to involve a lot more travel, I’m not surprised UConn would want to schedule a quality team like St. John’s that is only a bus ride away.

Reaction Score
Given the way soccer is scheduled, it really just makes sense for two of the better programs in the area to keep playing each other at least somewhat regularly. As I said, these lower profile sports tend to not get so hung up on the conference re-alignment stuff.

Reaction Score
The B1G, as of right now (12 schools), has 6 men's ice hockey programs, 7 men's soccer programs, 12 women's soccer programs, 7 women's rowing programs, 7 women's field hockey teams and 4 women's ice hockey teams. We have programs in some sports the B1G can use. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom