Re-watch of the Vandy game... | The Boneyard

Re-watch of the Vandy game...

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I took a couple hours this morning to re-watch the Vandy game. (I originally watched the first half in a Long Island bar at a family function with no sound, and the second half on my phone during a 3-hour drive home. Ugh.)

Some takeaways....

Those announcers really needed a phonetic pronunciation chart. Between Clear-See-us, Farmer Khan, Pohma Kon, Puma Chong, Kerjewski, Krajinski, and more, it was awful.

The 2 first UConn drives made me believe that Tyler Phommachanh was about to go off, and our first win might be a slaughter. The pace of the offense and the play calling was exciting. Just too "twitchy in the end." Next man up.

Once he settled in, Steven Krajewski showed some really good stuff. He doesn't have Puma legs, but he's got Husky legs when he needs them. His passes looked pretty sharp. He didn't panic in the pocket much, if at all. (Yeah, yeah, the intentional grounding. I know.)

Jeffrey's drop was brutal. Inexcusable. Anybody doubting Steven Krajewski's touch need to watch that one again.

Clercius, Turner and Marion have a TON of potential.

Jay Rose is something special, and needs the ball in his hands. So he can run with it. Or throw it.

Brewton is an absolute beast. As the announcer stated, fearless. Almost makes all the years of never returning a kick fade away. But not really.

Carter should be in the backfield on EVERY running play. Any series with Mensah (and I've always loved Kevin) showed just how much slower he is. Carter's fourth-down carry in the fourth quarter when he was met at the line and was able to dance for extra yards (and the first down) was brilliant and gave us a chance.

Penalties are brutal, but stupid penalties (the ridiculously late hit on Vandy QB by Watts, the personal foul/ejection against Banks (never saw it on TV but he had his helmet off and apparently was throwing haymakers at a player on the ground), the intentional grounding by Steven Krajewski, and the (unseen on TV) personal foul against Didio for hands to the face after a fair catch on Vandy's last posession....are cumulatively almost as stupid as Vandy Coach Clark Lea headbutting a helmetted player after a TD, then checking his bald dome for blood. Twice. And almost as stupid as the Vandy flag bearer running across the end zone as the extra-point snap was made.

The team was, again, competitive and entertaining to watch. Another almost. Another week of improvement. I believe that with Steven Krajewski as the go-to guy, and Mazzone designing more plays around him (and hopefully involving Jay Rose even more) we have a chance to do more than just cover the spread.

Lastly, grilled cheese. Why was I craving grilled cheese? Maybe it was the 12 Kraft grilled cheese commercials.
It's time for grilled cheese, time for grilled cheese. Catchy, horrible tune.

Reaction Score
Much better than the reviews by our beat writers. We continue to make losing plays like false starts in the red zone. But I enjoyed the positive tone of your review.

Reaction Score
I took a couple hours this morning to re-watch the Vandy game. (I originally watched the first half in a Long Island bar at a family function with no sound, and the second half on my phone during a 3-hour drive home. Ugh.)

Some takeaways....

Those announcers really needed a phonetic pronunciation chart. Between Clear-See-us, Farmer Khan, Pohma Kon, Puma Chong, Kerjewski, Krajinski, and more, it was awful.

The 2 first UConn drives made me believe that Tyler Phommachanh was about to go off, and our first win might be a slaughter. The pace of the offense and the play calling was exciting. Just too "twitchy in the end." Next man up.

Once he settled in, Steven Krajewski showed some really good stuff. He doesn't have Puma legs, but he's got Husky legs when he needs them. His passes looked pretty sharp. He didn't panic in the pocket much, if at all. (Yeah, yeah, the intentional grounding. I know.)

Jeffrey's drop was brutal. Inexcusable. Anybody doubting Steven Krajewski's touch need to watch that one again.

Jay Rose is something special, and needs the ball in his hands. So he can run with it. Or throw it.

Brewton is an absolute beast. As the announcer stated, fearless. Almost makes all the years of never returning a kick fade away. But not really.

Carter should be in the backfield on EVERY running play. Any series with Mensah (and I've always loved Kevin) showed just how much slower he is. Carter's fourth-down carry in the fourth quarter when he was met at the line and was able to dance for extra yards (and the first down) was brilliant and gave us a chance.

Penalties are brutal, but stupid penalties (the ridiculously late hit on Vandy QB by Watts, the personal foul/ejection against Banks (never saw it on TV but he had his helmet off and apparently was throwing haymakers at a player on the ground), the intentional grounding by Steven Krajewski, and the (unseen on TV) personal foul against Didio for hands to the face after a fair catch on Vandy's last posession....are cumulatively almost as stupid as Vandy Coach Clark Lea headbutting a helmetted player after a TD, then checking his bald dome for blood. Twice. And almost as stupid as the Vandy flag bearer running across the end zone as the extra-point snap was made.

The team was, again, competitive and entertaining to watch. Another almost. Another week of improvement. I believe that with Steven Krajewski as the go-to guy, and Mazzone designing more plays around him (and hopefully involving Jay Rose even more) we have a chance to do more than just cover the spread.

Lastly, grilled cheese. Why was I craving grilled cheese? Maybe it was the 12 Kraft grilled cheese commercials.

Nice review. I haven't watched the TV broadcast of the game yet, but I was at the game.

WRT Banks: I unfortunately missed the lead-up to the arm-swinging, but out of the corner of my eye, I saw him and the Vandy player locked up and moving in the opposite direction of the play. They were like 20+ yards away from the action. I saw a helmet go flying (Banks'), and then he started swinging haymakers at the Vandy player. Both were standing up the whole time punches were being thrown. Banks was HOT. I can't say it with 100% certainty, but I'm not sure that he pulled his helmet off.

My best guess is it may have been a classic case of "didn't start it, but got busted for what happened next".

There was a lot of chippyness going on all game that probably didn't make it to TV, which on the one hand, I loved our fight...but on the other hand, it ended up shooting us in the foot with the penalties.

Reaction Score

Some takeaways....

Other added thoughts:

-Carter is electric. Super-shifty, super-creative, and spurtability. Love him.

-Brewton can take a kickoff out from 9 yards deep in the endzone and I wouldn't care a bit. Coaches should (if they havent already) give him the green light to take everything out. Agree with your comments. The upside of him busting a play for a big runback is way too great to stop him. Besides, even his worst runback from an endzone start was the 23-yd line.

-Excited to see Rose getting more and more involved. Great things are happening with plays designed for him.

-Mazzone has been a life-saver for this offense...and what a travesty Randy was WRT our offensive's gameplan. Incarcerable crime, IMHO.

-Really, really like the strides our defense is making against the run.

-Our secondary continues to struggle mightily, though they are showing some signs of improvement. But still way too many open Vandy receivers & blown covers.

Reaction Score
Well done write up for sure....had a couple things to add

Tyler P hurt his left knee after planting on the run....thes did show him on the sidelines with him on crutches and a leg brace but he seemed in good spirits as he was joking while using his crutches....hopefully just like an MCL sprain

The short field goal was no good but kick likely would have been blocked anyways as one of their players broke through the right center of line forcing him to kick left.

The interception in third quarter by freshman Durant Jones who I really like that they said hit ground did not appear to hit the ground....it was a UConn interception as his hands were under it and they never even reviewed it in the booth which is a head scratcher.....

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Nice review. I haven't watched the TV broadcast of the game yet, but I was at the game.

WRT Banks: I unfortunately missed the lead-up to the arm-swinging, but out of the corner of my eye, I saw him and the Vandy player locked up and moving in the opposite direction of the play. They were like 20+ yards away from the action. I saw a helmet go flying (Banks'), and then he started swinging haymakers at the Vandy player. Both were standing up the whole time punches were being thrown. Banks was HOT. I can't say it with 100% certainty, but I'm not sure that he pulled his helmet off.

My best guess is it may have been a classic case of "didn't start it, but got busted for what happened next".

There was a lot of chippyness going on all game that probably didn't make it to TV, which on the one hand, I loved our fight...but on the other hand, it ended up shooting us in the foot with the penalties.
Vandy definitely played with an unwarranted moxie and cockiness that had me wanted to rip my proverbial helmet off and start swinging.

Reaction Score

Some takeaways....

The Jeffreys’ drop was a killer. Right in front of us in the visitor section. Pass was PERFECT!

Reaction Score
-Our secondary continues to struggle mightily, though they are showing some signs of improvement. But still way too many open Vandy receivers & blown covers.
If we lose to UMass, this will likely be the reason why.

Reaction Score
Other added thoughts:

-Carter is electric. Super-shifty, super-creative, and spurtability. Love him.

-Brewton can take a kickoff out from 9 yards deep in the endzone and I wouldn't care a bit. Coaches should (if they havent already) give him the green light to take everything out. Agree with your comments. The upside of him busting a play for a big runback is way too great to stop him. Besides, even his worst runback from an endzone start was the 23-yd line.

-Excited to see Rose getting more and more involved. Great things are happening with plays designed for him.

-Mazzone has been a life-saver for this offense...and what a travesty Randy was WRT our offensive's gameplan. Incarcerable crime, IMHO.

-Really, really like the strides our defense is making against the run.

What does "WRT" mean?

Reaction Score

Good for Spanos, acknowledging the call was correct. Discipline, discipline, discipline. With respect to Banks, if the "other guy" whacks you first...............walk away. Do not retaliate. That's immature, and detrimental to the team....................yeah, the team, which is way more important than "me".

I know the expectation is for a complete housecleaning of the coaching staff following the season, but Spanos has exhibited (to me, anyway) an ability to inspire his players to embrace his message. So much of teambuilding is cultural acceptance. I'm not speaking of Black, White, Hispanic "inclusion", I am talking about the willingness of each member of an organization (athletic, corporate, military, et al) to subordinate (not eliminate) his individual culture to that of the greater good.

In my layman's opinion, he has earned a shot for a seat at the table.

Reaction Score
My sense watching on tv was after the injury, the team had a bit of a letdown. Ultimately the got it back which is a tribute to them and the coaches. But they need to make plays at crunch time.

Reaction Score
My sense watching on tv was after the injury, the team had a bit of a letdown. Ultimately the got it back which is a tribute to them and the coaches. But they need to make plays at crunch time.
They seem to shoot themselves in the foot at the worst possible times. Painful to see.

Reaction Score
We caught a break when Marion got away with spiking the ball after his TD catch. It was just a happy kid letting loose but it could have been called. When we went for it instead of kicking the field goal Mensah was the back. Just wish it was Carter there. As to Spanos, it seems he has taken the pressure off the players so they can just play all out and enjoy the game. Similar to when Weist got that team to believe in itself. They started by being more competitive in games. Spanos admitting the offense was in need of outside help was the breath of fresh air the program needed.

Reaction Score
Spanos admitting the offense was in need of outside help was the breath of fresh air the program needed.
One example of many. I call it fresh eyes. When Spanos brought in Mazzone he dove deep into the roster. When he discovered Jay Rose had been a successful HS QB he asked why we weren’t utilizing those skills in the playbook.

Reaction Score
We caught a break when Marion got away with spiking the ball after his TD catch. It was just a happy kid letting loose but it could have been called. When we went for it instead of kicking the field goal Mensah was the back. Just wish it was Carter there. As to Spanos, it seems he has taken the pressure off the players so they can just play all out and enjoy the game. Similar to when Weist got that team to believe in itself. They started by being more competitive in games. Spanos admitting the offense was in need of outside help was the breath of fresh air the program needed.
What happened to Burns? Is he hurt? He was really tough to stop on the couple of games I saw him in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom