Re: Stanford...How did we lose that game? | The Boneyard

Re: Stanford...How did we lose that game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Our Husky counterparts are playing them even, deep into the 2nd half...OUCH!!!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It's a known fact in sports that the further your game is from home (especially in different time zones), the more likely you are to lose, with all else being even. In basketball there is a playoff, so does that one loss really matter that much?

Reaction Score
It's a known fact in sports that the further your game is from home (especially in different time zones), the more likely you are to lose, with all else being even. In basketball there is a playoff, so does that one loss really matter that much?
No, of course not...it just boggles my mind that Stanford has played miserably ever since that game. I'm starting to believe the old rumors that Tara spent her entire summer and early fall watching tape of UCONN in order to figure out how to beat them.

And Beat Them she DID. Only trouble was the rest of those seasons were less than stellar...

In my opinion, she puts all of her egg s in one basket for the UConn game...then she and her players are spent and perplexed for the rest of the season.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It is going to be very interesting to see how they do in the PAC. Arizona (unfortunately) and Utah are awful, and I'm not feeling Colorado or Oregon (this season, brighter future with the new coach at Oregon). However, their other 7 opponents are either solid or erratic (erratic can be dangerous, don't forget who won the PAC12 tournament last year with what record). I think Washington State may be the weakest of the potentially solid teams, and they face them next, then us (Arizona) before getting ASU at Maples. So I think 2 more wins and then we'll see.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Yeah we couldn't play worse on both ends, and they couldn't play better. It was a fluke. I say with UCONN STANFORD WCBB teams of this year, we play them 20 times and we win 19 of them. In a way I'm glad though. We've been an awful lot better since. Plus we don't have all this hype about a winning streak.

Reaction Score
Well Amber Orrange is a bit streaky. I think that's one reason Stanford's season has been up and down. But UW beat Stanford last year with basically an identical lineup, so a close game against them at their home gym is not shocking. Furthermore, UW romped Texas A&M who was #5 at the time this year.

The Chatanooga loss is the big blunder so far, but they (Chatanooga) beat Tennessee, too.

The loss vs. Texas went to overtime...and Texas is having a great year so that's forgivable. The loss to UNC was before McDaniels went down and they were probably bent on avenging the Elite 8 loss last year. Then they lost to Tennesse, who is also up and down but just romped romped Texas A&M.

Stanford played great against UConn but I wouldn't call it a total fluke. Stanford has lots of experience and depth so when they're on they can be a very formidable team with this year's squad depending on the matchup.

Reaction Score
Neither Tuck nor Nurse started. Nurse fouled out in regulation and Tuck in overtime. This won't be repeated. Things changed immediately afterwards.

Reaction Score
As Blueballer says if we play them 20 times, we should win 19. That is what the Massey ratings say as well. Our offense was fine, we scored 86 points. Our defense we atrocious, particularly letting them drive. Tuck was not nearly as good as she has become--she looked really rusty in her first few games back and Nurse is also significantly better now. Finally, Stanford shot the ball better against us than they have against other teams--they were hot. So instead of winning by 18, the Massey prediction, we were tied after regulation., probably equal parts them shooting much better than they normally do and us giving up uncontested shots.

Reaction Score
Simple. Bad defense, particularly an overall failure to stop the ball on the drive. Stanford drove by our players like the Huskies were parked busses...wheels off, up on blocks.

Reaction Score
Preparing remarks for your Feb. 10 address to the Boneyard? ;)

Reaction Score
Every player on the top D1 teams knows how to do things with a basketball. In many ways, it's a game of chance. In rebounding, a missed shot bounces in a somewhat random fashion. Some days it bounces right into your hands, another, not so much. When taking a shot, it goes in perhaps 20% one day and 70% another. Fouls are called, legit or phantom. One day it's a charge, another it's a block. The game is only 40 minutes long. It doesn't take that many bad bounces, missed shots, bad calls, dumb mistakes to make even the best team a loser. No matter how good a team is, the day will come when the stars do not align. It's inevitable. Ask the Russian hockey team.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
We lost because our defense was lousy. But I thought it was a "good" loss in awakening the players that the season wasn't going to be a cakewalk. We were riding along on a 47-game win streak with total optimism going forward. No one (players or fans) likes to lose. However, we became a better, more focused team after the loss. Thank you, Stanford. :)

Reaction Score
UConn will not play that bad and Stanford will not play that good again this year.

Everything that could go wrong went wrong. From the line-up, to the foul trouble, missed free throws, last second heroics by Stanford, the worst defensive effort since I started watching games in the Lobo era, etc., etc.

If they play again and I hope they do, UConn will flatten Stanford in a no contest affair. I will bet anyone a small fortune.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lots of ways to look at it.

Poor defense.

Lack of preparation.

Lack of focus.

Not listening to the coaches.

Lineup in a state of flux.

Enthusiastic crowd.

Focused Cardinal team.

In short, nearly a perfect storm. But perhaps it was a good loss. Carrying a long streak can be a burden.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Whenever I think of the Stanford game I get a mental picture of Mosqueda-Lewis defending around the wing and elbow, half turned toward the basket with a futile arm raised as she watches a Stanford guard drives past her.

Obviously, KML's defense was not the sole cause of the loss as the other UConn defenders were having similar problems. However, she did seem to be the weakest point in the defense.

Reaction Score
Since the Stanford game, Tuck and Nurse are both starting and playing much better. Until the overtime, Morgan was not playing playing particularly well. UConn's defense was poor with little team defense. I was at the game and the most striking difference was the energy level. Stanford was playing at 110% and we were out of sync and flat. If we we played Stanford again we would win by at least 20 points.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Yeah we couldn't play worse on both ends, and they couldn't play better. It was a fluke. I say with UCONN STANFORD WCBB teams of this year, we play them 20 times and we win 19 of them. In a way I'm glad though. We've been an awful lot better since. Plus we don't have all this hype about a winning streak.
BB- we scored 90 pts or so- offensively we were really goou are I think you are right about getting rid of the streak. And I am glad we lost vs eeking out a close win. I think it resonates better with the team and coaches and had more effect than a really horrible defensive performance, and horrible offensie decisions down the stretch, and winning the game regardless.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
BB- we scored 90 pts or so- offensively we were really goou are I think you are right about getting rid of the streak. And I am glad we lost vs eeking out a close win. I think it resonates better with the team and coaches and had more effect than a really horrible defensive performance, and horrible offensie decisions down the stretch, and winning the game regardless.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
BB- we scored 90 pts or so- offensively we were really good are I think you are right about getting rid of the streak. And I am glad we lost vs eeking out a close win. I think it resonates better with the team and coaches and had more effect than a really horrible defensive performance, and horrible offensive decisions down the stretch, and winning the game regardless.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Preparing remarks for your Feb. 10 address to the Boneyard? ;)
I assure you that if the Huskies beat the Gamecocks on February 9th, I won't be going anywhere. Besides, it's a long season and the Final Four will be on a neutral court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom