Re-runs! Which other sports are you watching? | The Boneyard

Re-runs! Which other sports are you watching?

Reaction Score
What are you watching besides women's basketball? I'll go first and share the other sport I'm passionate about, but I'm on the hunt for other sports to watch in re-runs.

For me it's competition climbing, aka sport climbing. I can't think of a better way to introduce it than with the best female climber on the planet: Janja Garnbret. Sport climbing was set to debut at the Olympics this summer so the governing body IFSC held a series of World Cup competitions in 2019 for climbers and countries to qualify. Janja won every one.

As you can see it's different from outdoor rock climbing. The routes are created from artificial walls, volumes and holds. And the routes are brand new, unique -- no route is ever reused. Climbers have 4 minutes to figure it out and get to the top.

Perhaps the biggest difference from outdoor rock climbing is that almost everything you can see -- the wall, the big angular volumes, the big holds -- is slippery. The places where a climber can get good purchase are tiny, few and far between.

The last big difference is "dynamic" moves (called "dynos") -- basically parkour on an overhanging wall. It's a style that's popular in Europe, in contrast to the Japanese style which favors precision and flexibility, and the American style which goes for power and endurance. You'll see a mix of these in IFSC competitions, and mastering all three is what separates the very best climbers.

This next video is a short compilation that shows different climbers approach the boulder problems. If you just saw the Janja©2019 climb you'd think this stuff is easy, so reality check time.

YouTube is a great source of climbing videos. The International Federation of Sport Climbing channel has many high quality competition videos, with an excellent commentator. A search for "Janja Garnbret" will lead you to many other channels.

Hankering for belay ropes, bolts and quickdraws? There's a discipline called "Lead" in IFSC competitions that features a 17 meter route that competitors must climb as far as they can within 6 minutes.

Of course, the men climb too. The best all-around male climber is Adam Ondra -- another name worth searching, especially if you enjoy Lead and outdoor climbing.

So, which sports are you watching?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I watch UCONN WCBB replays (victories only) and the Eagles Super Bowl win exclusively.
Philly Philly!

1584889110323.png

Next up in my rotation is Skylar Diggins' last college game! I think this will be 46 times running through it.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The only sports that I'm watching is on the BY. Currently on the 16-17 season, just finished the drumming of tOSU.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I saw a story on MLB.com in which they listed the 5 greatest games for each MLB team. I looked at the ones for the Red Sox and my personal 2 greatest weren't on the list: Games 4 and 7 of the 2004 ALCS. However, Game 4 of the World Series was. So I guess that I will have to break out my 2004 BoSox World Series Collector's Edition DVDs to watch "my" favorite games.
I am guessing that this week sometime I will start using uconnhuskygames quite a bit tho.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Disappointed no interest in the ESPN 8 (Ocho) channel today with wall to wall past goofball competitions. :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
CBS has been airing past Men's championship and other notable games. Yesterday they showed the most iconic victories of the three Triangle schools. Carolina-Georgetown (1982), State-Houston (1983) and the Duke-Kentucky Regional Final (1992) . Had to call my sister yesterday to tell her that they were showing the replay.... I still remember us watching the game in the den... too nervous to sit down..... and embracing and yelling and screaming when the Laettner basket went through the nets as the buzzer sounded. Hard to believe it was 28 years ago. Right now watching last year's battle between UVA and Texas Tech, I wasnt able to watch it last year.. glad to be able to see it now.

Reaction Score
Spent Sunday watching a game from my daughters sophomore year...then husky women the rest of the day

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I'm a lifelong fan of almost all sports but watching replays of games where I know the outcome just has never worked for me, even the big games.

But I do watch the 2013 Louisville-Baylor game once a year or so. :cool:
Rewatched the same game, Walz had a great game plan, most of the worst calls went against Louisville.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
ESPNU is showing a replay of the UConn vs Ohio State game now. It's an early 2019/2020 season game.

Reaction Score
I'm saving BB games for further cabin fever prevention. I am binge watching DIY channel, courtesy of Direct TV.

Reaction Score
What I would love to see, but unfortunately they didn't have the capacity to videotape at that time, would be some of the old late forties, early 50's "wrassling" matchs with people like "Gorgeous George", Antonio Rocco, Don Eagle, and Mr. Moto. They were corny, staged, but great fun. The only time in my life I ever heard my Grandmother swear is while she was watching the "wrasslers" and someone pulled something "dirty". She yelled out "You SOB", (putting it nicely). I almost fell off my chair.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom