Re-doing WNBA drafts, Part 2: 2009-2013 | The Boneyard

Re-doing WNBA drafts, Part 2: 2009-2013

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The players are in order for who I'd pick, and the number after their name is where they were actually picked.

2010 Draft:
1. Tina Charles (1)
2. Epiphanny Prince (4)
3. Monica Wright (2)
4. Jayne Appel (5)

This was a painfully bad draft...can't really go deeper than 5, and it was a stretch to get it this far. Charles it the obvious standout, Prince had some good years, and Wright/Appel were contributors here and there. As far as I can tell, that's about it.

2011 Draft:
1. Maya Moore (1)
2. Courtney Vandersloot (3)
3. Jasmine Thomas (12)
4. Liz Cambage (2)
5. Danielle Robinson (6)
6. Jessica Breland (13)
7. Karima Christmas (23)
8. Jantel Lavender (5)
9. Danielle Adams (20)
10. Krystal Thomas (36)
11. Carolyn Swords (15)
12. Jeanette Pohlen (9)

This ended up being a much deeper draft than I think anyone anticipated. Moore is the obvious standout, but Sloot has been terrific, Jas Thomas became a much better player than anyone expected, and players like Breland/Robinson/Christmas have done quite well for themselves. Cambage would like be #2 had she played more in the US, but this is just her 3rd season in 8 years. Hope she sticks around in the future. She's a joy to watch.

Biggest disappointment from this draft has to be Amber Harris. Big 6-5 player with great athleticism and perimeter skills...lots of similarities between her and Jonquel Jones, but Harris's work ethic and desire were always questioned. There's no reason a player with her ability shouldn't be in the league right now.

2012 Draft:
1. Nneka Ogwumike (1)
2. Tiffany Hayes (14)
3. Glory Johnson (4)
4. Shenise Johnson (5)
5. Riquna Williams (17)
6. Dev Peters (3)
7. Shekinna Stricklen (2)
8. Damiras Dantas (12)
9. Samantha Prahalis (6)
10. Vicki Baugh (25)

Another class that ended up being pretty deep. Nneka is again the clear standout, while both Johnson's and Hayes have carved out really strong careers. What happened to Shenise Johnson btw? Main busts were picks 6-11 who never found success after their first year: Sammy Prahalis, Kelley Cain, Natalie Novosel, Astan Dabo, Lasondra Barrett and Sasha Goodlett.

2013 Draft:
1. Elena Delle-Donne (2)
2. Brittney Griner (1)
3. Skylar Diggins (3)
4. Emma Meeseman (19)
5. Alex Bentley (13)
8. Taylor Hill (4)
7. Layshia Clarendon (9)
5. Sugar Rodgers (14)
9. Kelsey Bone (5)
10. Tianna Hawkins (6)

Really deep draft and extremely top heavy. This is of a toss up for #1 between EDD/Griner, but I went with EDD because she's won the MVP and I think she's been more consistent than Griner even though Brit has a title. Diggins is the obvious choice at 3. Meeseman/Bentley are the steals of this draft. Everyone in the top 9 had double digit scoring seasons at some point...pretty impressive feat.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
3 of the players in the 2011 draft that are still playing started for Duke in the 2010-11 season.. The other two starters were on that team were All-Star Chelsea Gray and Haley Peters who played in a few WNBA seasons as well. Former first round pick Tricia Liston came off the bench that season. Watching the WNBA sometimes makes me Head bang and :mad: @ Coach McCallie Head bang

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The players are in order for who I'd pick, and the number after their name is where they were actually picked.

2010 Draft:
1. Tina Charles (1)
2. Epiphanny Prince (4)
3. Monica Wright (2)
4. Jayne Appel (5)

This was a painfully bad draft...can't really go deeper than 5, and it was a stretch to get it this far. Charles it the obvious standout, Prince had some good years, and Wright/Appel were contributors here and there. As far as I can tell, that's about it.

2011 Draft:
1. Maya Moore (1)
2. Courtney Vandersloot (3)
3. Jasmine Thomas (12)
4. Liz Cambage (2)
5. Danielle Robinson (6)
6. Jessica Breland (13)
7. Karima Christmas (23)
8. Jantel Lavender (5)
9. Danielle Adams (20)
10. Krystal Thomas (36)
11. Carolyn Swords (15)
12. Jeanette Pohlen (9)

This ended up being a much deeper draft than I think anyone anticipated. Moore is the obvious standout, but Sloot has been terrific, Jas Thomas became a much better player than anyone expected, and players like Breland/Robinson/Christmas have done quite well for themselves. Cambage would like be #2 had she played more in the US, but this is just her 3rd season in 8 years. Hope she sticks around in the future. She's a joy to watch.

Biggest disappointment from this draft has to be Amber Harris. Big 6-5 player with great athleticism and perimeter skills...lots of similarities between her and Jonquel Jones, but Harris's work ethic and desire were always questioned. There's no reason a player with her ability shouldn't be in the league right now.

2012 Draft:
1. Nneka Ogwumike (1)
2. Tiffany Hayes (14)
3. Glory Johnson (4)
4. Shenise Johnson (5)
5. Riquna Williams (17)
6. Dev Peters (3)
7. Shekinna Stricklen (2)
8. Damiras Dantas (12)
9. Samantha Prahalis (6)
10. Vicki Baugh (25)

Another class that ended up being pretty deep. Nneka is again the clear standout, while both Johnson's and Hayes have carved out really strong careers. What happened to Shenise Johnson btw? Main busts were picks 6-11 who never found success after their first year: Sammy Prahalis, Kelley Cain, Natalie Novosel, Astan Dabo, Lasondra Barrett and Sasha Goodlett.

2013 Draft:
1. Elena Delle-Donne (2)
2. Brittney Griner (1)
3. Skylar Diggins (3)
4. Emma Meeseman (19)
5. Alex Bentley (13)
8. Taylor Hill (4)
7. Layshia Clarendon (9)
5. Sugar Rodgers (14)
9. Kelsey Bone (5)
10. Tianna Hawkins (6)

Really deep draft and extremely top heavy. This is of a toss up for #1 between EDD/Griner, but I went with EDD because she's won the MVP and I think she's been more consistent than Griner even though Brit has a title. Diggins is the obvious choice at 3. Meeseman/Bentley are the steals of this draft. Everyone in the top 9 had double digit scoring seasons at some point...pretty impressive feat.

Samantha Prahalis? Didn't she flame out?

That 2011 crop was amazing!!

Great to see Tiffany Hayes doing so well!!!

Reaction Score
2010 was a pretty weak draft but you forgot about Alysha Clark. She’s still starting for Seattle and she’s not a star by any means but is a very solid player. I would actually put her above Wright and Appel. Both of those ladies were good players but had injury issues. I truly never felt Appel was the same after she injured her ankle and tried to play in the finals against UConn.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
2010 was a pretty weak draft but you forgot about Alysha Clark. She’s still starting for Seattle and she’s not a star by any means but is a very solid player. I would actually put her above Wright and Appel. Both of those ladies were good players but had injury issues. I truly never felt Appel was the same after she injured her ankle and tried to play in the finals against UConn.

Thank you...definitely would put her above those players. Completely missed her.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
3 of the players in the 2011 draft that are still playing started for Duke in the 2010-11 season.. The other two starters were on that team were All-Star Chelsea Gray and Haley Peters who played in a few WNBA seasons as well. Former first round pick Tricia Liston came off the bench that season. Watching the WNBA sometimes makes me Head bang and :mad: @ Coach McCallie Head bang

I was shocked any of those players made it as pros, let alone would become quite successful. Duke had those 3 on the roster in 2011 along with Chelsea Gray and a couple of other standouts (Tricia Liston, Richa Jackson, etc.)...they should’ve been a much better team than they were.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Samantha Prahalis? Didn't she flame out?

That 2011 crop was amazing!!

Great to see Tiffany Hayes doing so well!!!

Yep...definitely flamed out. She was so much fun to watch in college, it’s too bad she didn’t pan out to be a better pro. Could’ve been a Penicheiro/Teasley type of passer with her flash and sizzle.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was shocked any of those players made it as pros, let alone would become quite successful. Duke had those 3 on the roster in 2011 along with Chelsea Gray and a couple of other standouts (Tricia Liston, Richa Jackson, etc.)...they should’ve been a much better team than they were.

They weren't that bad a team:cool:.

Finished 1st in the ACC.. Won the ACC tournament.. Beat the eventual champion TAMU. . Went 32-4 with losses in chapel hill, college park, Storrs.. and to Connecticut in the regional final in Philadelphia. I contend that they would have been a final four team if they were placed in Sacramento or Dayton. Head bang

Probably my favorite Duke team... Loved the mix of talented freshman and my favorite senior class.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
They weren't that bad a team:cool:.

Finished 1st in the ACC.. Won the ACC tournament.. Beat the eventual champion TAMU. . Went 32-4 with losses in chapel hill, college park, Storrs.. and to Connecticut in the regional final in Philadelphia. I contend that they would have been a final four team if they were placed in Sacramento or Dayton. Head bang

Probably my favorite Duke team... Loved the mix of talented freshman and my favorite senior class.

They weren't bad overall but offensively they were painful to watch, especially against good teams (averaged 57ppg against ranked teams). If you look back at 2011, I never would've expected that Duke's roster would produced the most number of good WNBA players besides maybe Connecticut. Christmas-Kelly, Thomas, Thomas and Gray would all become very good to great WNBA players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom