Rate our three QBs. | The Boneyard

Rate our three QBs.

Reaction Score
Edsall showed his rating by the order he played them in.

1. Beaudry, 2. Jack Zergiotis, 3. Kraj

After watching them play, I would rate them...

1. Kraj, 2. Jack Zergiotis, 3. Beaudry

My reasoning is I like Kraj's arm the best, he has good size, he has decent athleticism, and he showed an ability to move through the progression with some poise. Jack Zergiotis faced the toughest competition, he has show a pretty good arm but he is on the small size, only moves fairly well, and he did cr#p the bed. Beaudry has an okay arm but he only throws line drives and is very inaccurate when he tries to put air under the ball, he has good size but moves fair to poorly.

Anyone want to take a shot at this?

Reaction Score
1 Kraj the other two are toss ups.
About Steven Krajewski, I would only add that in addition to what you said, he was not at all afraid to run it, and did ok doing that, even with the broken collar bone he should me some things. His awareness of the pocket after the snap seemed better than Beaudry or Jack Zergiotis, as well as knowing where his receivers were, and he moved the chains better than anyone. He showed me he was definitely worth his 3 star rating, and then some. It's a tough break for the team that he's out for the season.

Reaction Score
Both Zergiotis & Krajewski has a window of upside opportunities given their raw skillset. Both need a solid OLine for one thing. But I like both their arm talent and moxie. Both should think they can grab the #1 and produce at a top level. (Yes beyond 20 other QBs we can make at UCONN). I like that Zergiotis was punched in the mouth. Let’s see what he can do now. Krajewski got a really tough break ... but he’ll be back for our Bowl game. (Just seeing if anyone read this far)

Beaudry? Utility infielder in my mind. Hasn’t shown the spark to lead and create a bit of Offense beyond ok. With Giufre this year ... both Steven Krajewski & Jack Zergiotis could overcome distinctly unimaginative playcalling with bold individuality. That leaves MB out.

Reaction Score
Wait, so the crowd that fawned all over Beaudry for his 1 year of D2 stats, and then quickly jettisoned him for the hot frosh from Canada for his 3 quarters of play, and then tossed him aside for the guy who moved the ball against UCF's 3rd string D is being asked to opine on who is best? Will there be popcorn served? Good god, we knew coming in to this we had no experience and no depth. We hoped and prayed someone would be something he was not, but they are, as the HC says, what they are.

Reaction Score
Wait, so the crowd that fawned all over Beaudry for his 1 year of D2 stats, and then quickly jettisoned him for the hot frosh from Canada for his 3 quarters of play, and then tossed him aside for the guy who moved the ball against UCF's 3rd string D is being asked to opine on who is best? Will there be popcorn served? Good god, we knew coming in to this we had no experience and no depth. We hoped and prayed someone would be something he was not, but they are, as the HC says, what they are.
Opinions change when you see players in games. Some guys just perform better when the lights are on. At this point, we've have watched all three guys in live action. As long as folks support their opinions, it's a fun game to play.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Opinions change when you see players in games. Some guys just perform better when the lights are on. At this point, we've have watched all three guys in live action. As long as folks support their opinions, it's a fun game to play.
Those same "under the lights" players need to get it done in practice week in and week out or they don't see the field on gameday.

Reaction Score
Those same "under the lights" players need to get it done in practice week in and week out or they don't see the field on gameday.
Or perhaps, the coach needs to understand what practice performance is import so he can chose the best game day QB?

Reaction Score

Football coaches tend to focus on practice and under value games. "Geting it done in practice." Other sports (baseball, basketball, soccer, hockey) spend a much greater time participating in games. That higher percentage actually playing gives them a better feel for how players perform with the lights on. And the bottom line is that it is more important how the players perform during games. Some players are better ini practice, som are better in games. Practice is not always perfectly aligned with game performance.

In football, three hours a week is playing in a game. The rest of the time the coach controls everything. It's why you constantly hear football coaches in post-agame interviews say stuff like, "we had a great week of practice but it didn't carry over to the field." You never here that from a baseball coach.

And football coaches are often wrong about choosing who should start. My favorite example is HOFer Bill Parcells starting Scoott Brunner ahead of Phil Simms. There's also David Tyree who dropped everything in the practice before the Super Bowl and made one of the greatest catches in the game to help win it. Yes, practice is important but it isn't as important as performance at game time.

Reaction Score
I think it's still hard to judge the QBs on the first 4 games especially since we don't see the practices or know what plays were called. That said, I think Steven Krajewski has looked the best so far.

What's interesting is that UConn's passing seems to be slightly better than last year based on stats which is surprising. But, Pindell was an explosive runner which made his overall play better than this year's so far.

Some passing stats:

2019:
QB rating: 120.84
completion %: 61.9%
yards per attempt: 6.92

2018:
QB rating: 117.19
completion %: 56.7%
yards per attempt: 6.12

Reaction Score
About Steven Krajewski, I would only add that in addition to what you said, he was not at all afraid to run it, and did ok doing that, even with the broken collar bone he should me some things. His awareness of the pocket after the snap seemed better than Beaudry or Jack Zergiotis, as well as knowing where his receivers were, and he moved the chains better than anyone. He showed me he was definitely worth his 3 star rating, and then some. It's a tough break for the team that he's out for the season.
That’s exactly how I feel about Steven Krajewski. Going to be a true qb that can contain and also control the rhythm of the game

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Still very incomplete, but based on small sample size:

Krajewski >>> Z > Beaudry

Beaudry and Z are a toss up in my mind. Krajewski looks the part, at least after he got out of that first 5 minutes of shell shock. Hope he gets 100% healthy soon...

Reaction Score
I think it's still hard to judge the QBs on the first 4 games especially since we don't see the practices or know what plays were called. That said, I think Steven Krajewski has looked the best so far.

What's interesting is that UConn's passing seems to be slightly better than last year based on stats which is surprising. But, Pindell was an explosive runner which made his overall play better than this year's so far.

Some passing stats:

2019:
QB rating: 120.84
completion %: 61.9%
yards per attempt: 6.92

2018:
QB rating: 117.19
completion %: 56.7%
yards per attempt: 6.12

I suspect the overall stats are slightly better because our FCS game is 20% of the data for this year vs <10% over the course of a full season. Agree with you that Pindell was much better overall.

Reaction Score
  1. Beaudry(because he is not injured at the moment)
  2. Krajewski(only because he is injured at the moment)
  3. Zergiotis because he panicked under fire and is not ready yet. Give him some more snaps during the season when the game is already decided but Don't Blow his Red shirt! You never know how much he can improve during the off season. Could be next year's #1.

Reaction Score
I am all in on Steven Krajewski. He moves better/ is faster than the other 2 in the game. He was accurate on downfield throws which the other 2 are not reliable with. He is the youngest so could be a starter longer. Play him.

Reaction Score
I've been touting Steven Krajewski since I saw his high school championship game and hope his performance against UCF gives him the confidence necessary to play with abandon next year.

He can make all the throws, does his progressions and surprised us with his running ability...........just needs to duck sooner or not have a head hunter hit him in the shoulder any more.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Steve one as he has upside and can run when needed. That is important in today's college game.

Beaudry is what he is. Okay quarterback who has a decent arm, but has no legs at all. He doesn't feel the pressure which is a no no with quarterbacks.

Zergotis has a very good arm and can make the throws. He needs time studying film on the opposing teams and needs to Redshirt and come back next year fighting for the starting job. Needs work on his mobility as well.

Reaction Score
Jack Zergiotis is next man up. Would be nice to RS but if you have to, he goes in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom