OT: Rat | The Boneyard

OT: Rat

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Last weekend my neighbor told me he saw a rat on our patio. We've had the occasional mouse in the house, but never any issue with big boys. I scoured the patio for droppings and found three, so I wasn't overly concerned. Every entry into the house via gaps around wires and pipes is sealed, pretty much the only way in is when we open the garage.

Yesterday, while perusing the BY on my patio, I saw it. It was running from my neighbor's patio then down into the rail tie retaining wall that separates the properties, then into a garden on my side and finally into a hole in my stone wall next to the driveway that was originally dug out by chipmunks, that's right next to a pile of wood on my driveway.

So I went to Google to figure out what to do. Using that info, I hit every hole I could find with ammonia bleach, went out and bought a couple of traps, and set those yesterday. No bites on the traps last night. Today I dismantled most of the wood pile, got some polyurethane foam and mothballs, stuffed the mothballs into the holes, filled the holes with the spray foam, then covered those with loose pebbles to camoflage the foam. Tomorrow I plan to hit the holes in the retaining wall with cottonballs soaked in eucalyptus oil.

Other than it taking the bait from one of the traps, none of this will actually kill the rat (and I've only seen the one), but should drive him/her away, most likely into my neighbor's yard.

Anyone here ever had a rat problem? If so, how did you deal with it.

Btw, I have one plastic trap with the green poison chunks, and the other is a standard old wooden trap on which I used creamy peanut butter. If chunky is better, please advise ;)

9c4673766a66750b3172e2f7a84f81b6.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was out on a bar patio the other night and there was a giant rat in the flower bed a foot behind me, beautiful creature.

Reaction Score
We had a bat problem in a prior house, and I was seriously considering this approach.

Bats are a close second. I should note, incredibly, that for the first time since we've lived here, in the hour since I made that post a saw a rat scurry into the tall hedges that separate our property from the people next door. I reflexively jumped in the pool and I'm now headed out to buy lighter fluid.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If anyone has any advice on permanently deleting chipmunks jump on in. The mild winter left us with a population explosion and a thousand little holes around my yard .

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If anyone has any advice on permanently deleting chipmunks jump on in. The mild winter left us with a population explosion and a thousand little holes around my yard .
@Fishy gave best chipmunk Removal advice over anything I’ve read on boneyard in 20+ years.it works wonderfully( got rid of 23 so far this year) But I can’t take credit so he needs to guide you

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom